John Drake

6 Mar: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Hull FC KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Hull FC

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/20 at 19:45

Just watched the tries. Those diving efforts from Johnstone were ridiculous. The second one in particular almost defies physics. And whilst the camera angle wasn't great both of them looked legit too. Sometimes you see tries like that and think if it was on TV I'm not sure they would be allowed. In this case they looked clean.

The way they were described in commentary I was a bit annoyed with Fonua, but now I've seen them e actually marked him pretty well. I'm not sure what you can do as a defender when your opponent is doing things like that.

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

Just watched the tries. Those diving efforts from Johnstone were ridiculous. The second one in particular almost defies physics. And whilst the camera angle wasn't great both of them looked legit too. Sometimes you see tries like that and think if it was on TV I'm not sure they would be allowed. In this case they looked clean.

The way they were described in commentary I was a bit annoyed with Fonua, but now I've seen them e actually marked him pretty well. I'm not sure what you can do as a defender when your opponent is doing things like that.

ESdW0MLWoAAWGcx?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Thought we were going to defy all odds and win a James Child reffed game.  Better game to watch once he let both sides play.  Do we get a point?

Up the Trin 

Paranoia is a terrible affliction. You should seek help.

22 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

ESdW0MLWoAAWGcx?format=jpg&name=large

Great photo. It almost like going back to the 50s, all the blokes wearing hats! None of the women wearing them, how do they survive.

I am reminded of Trevor Lakes try in 1965, which was iconic. Of course the corner flag then was deemed in touch.

And as for the defender there scrabbling on the floor, there is a great picture somewhere (plus man in hats) of Billy Boston scoring his 7th try against Dewsbury, in the corner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

Well I hope for their sake that Trin have him signed to a long term contract because he'll certainly be a target for the alleged big boys

He is contracted until the end of 2022, At the moment!

f3gms4.jpg

30 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

Paranoia is a terrible affliction. You should seek help.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. ?

Seriously, it may be paranoia but it is generally felt that Wakefield don't get the rub of the green when JC refs (not the holy one, though note that I'm not calling him unholy)!  There isn't the same perception about other refs.  I don't think any ref is deliberately biased but they are all human and it may be possible that having been born in Wakefield, JC is subconsciously protecting himself from accusations of bias in favour of the club.  You know, the same logic which prompts very many reasonable posters on here to argue in favour of neutral refs for internationals.  A poster on the Wakefield RLFans board wrote before last night's game that Wakefield had won 3 out of 30 odd games with JC in charge.  I have a life so don't intend to verify that but if true it's a win rate of under 10%, whereas I have just calculated that over the last 5 seasons, including our dreadful 2015 season, we have averaged a win rate of around 37% of the last 154 league games. Of course it could all be a statistical blip. I don't have a good enough grasp of statistics to know the likelihood that the above figures are due to random chance rather than accidental bias but do know that improbable things are happening all the time.

However, would it not make sense to quietly just not assign JC to Wakefield for a time and let us paranoid fans all calm down a bit? For example, I have always believed that Ben Thaler referees Wakefield very fairly (make of that what you will!) but was aware that fans of other clubs suggested he favoured us.  I doubt that he did, at least not deliberately, but since the time I was made aware of that suggestion it is notable that he has officiated Wakefield extremely rarely. (I could well be wrong but I believe just once last year; we lost!)  It was never officially stated that he wasn't being given Wakefield games but I suspect the lack of our games that he got wasn't random chance. 

• Like 1

Well, another nail biter.  Whether you’re a fan of golden point or not, it’s creating drama.

Ive seen the brief highlights and imo Hulls issues in defence are still working from marker and communication & positioning in the defensive line afterwards.  Both those are making it easy for teams to create an overload very early.  Small margins but enough.  

In attack our decoys and blocks aren’t as believable as they could be.  These need more urgency to keep the opposition where we want them.  More energy around the ball.  

They will get better.