6 Mar: SL: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/20 at 19:45

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bod said:

I wouldn't get too excited about Huddersfield, both teams were terrible.

Sezer played the full 80 this week. I'm going to suggest if he plays all the time then Giants will make it hard for everybody.

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Sezer played the full 80 this week. I'm going to suggest if he plays all the time then Giants will make it hard for everybody.

The Giants are no pushovers this season, that is clear, and their defence was good.  However, it has to be said, that the attack from Saints was just pants.  

Defence wins matches and i would go out to say we've put in a great defensive effort in 4 out of our 5 matches so far this season.

As a start to a season i would defo have taken 4 wins out of 5.

Cup next week then 2 winnable home league matches to follow.

#COYG

5 hours ago, meast said:

I'll tell you something else as well, this Jake Wardle is absolute class, everyone bangs on about Newman, Welsby, etc but this lad is as good ,if not better, Joe said years ago he had a kid brother in the academy who was better than Jim and he wasn't wrong!

Always said that you really have to be at the right club to gain recognition or be exceptionally talented, throughout my life watching this game there has been those who have gained international caps not nessacarilly because they are better than others but because of the club they play for.

PS who's Jim?

10 hours ago, longboard said:

Winter rugby, it's not so bad.  ?

At first all those years ago I though summer rugby was a good idea, but in hindsight I don't. 

By all means yes, just have 1 game at Easter, but 2 festive games at Xmas have been lost. Plus give players a good pre season in summer. And take a mid season break in the worst of the weather.  

And of course limit league games to 24!!!

11 hours ago, meast said:

Absolutely cracking effort, we lost Gaskell after a few minutes as well and was probably on the end of a massive penalty count as Saints struggled to make headway.

Superb performance and the perfect response to a flukey defeat ?and I guess we still haven't played anyone

Don't spoil the moment by making silly remarks. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

9 hours ago, meast said:

I'll tell you something else as well, this Jake Wardle is absolute class, everyone bangs on about Newman, Welsby, etc but this lad is as good ,if not better, Joe said years ago he had a kid brother in the academy who was better than Jim and he wasn't wrong!

Yep I like the look of Wardle, has all the makings of a top talent.

As you mention Welsby, I thought he had another poor game last night and got swatted away like a fly for your second try. Wardle has three years on him though so not really fair to compare those two. I think Welsby needs some time out of the firing line now to be honest. Hopefully Coote is back next week.

As for the game, it wasn't a classic by any stretch, one of the slowest I've watched for a while and neither team had much about them with ball in hand. Huddersfield's goal line defence was superb though and fully deserved the win. The battle between Walmsley and his opposite number (Givet?) was entertaining, I imagine they've both got a fair few bumps and bruises this morning.

3 minutes ago, Moove said:

Yep I like the look of Wardle, has all the makings of a top talent.

As you mention Welsby, I thought he had another poor game last night and got swatted away like a fly for your second try. Wardle has three years on him though so not really fair to compare those two. I think Welsby needs some time out of the firing line now to be honest. Hopefully Coote is back next week.

As for the game, it wasn't a classic by any stretch, one of the slowest I've watched for a while and neither team had much about them with ball in hand. Huddersfield's goal line defence was superb though and fully deserved the win. The battle between Walmsley and his opposite number (Givet?) was entertaining, I imagine they've both got a fair few bumps and bruises this morning.

The point i was making is because Welsby, and i only use him as an example, because he plays for one of the top clubs he automatically gets more praise and smoke blown up his backside than other do, any young kid who has 2 or 3 good games for any of the top clubs gets tugged over by fans and media alike, yet there's other good quality youngsters at most clubs who get ignored, the fans of those clubs see it in their players but it usually takes a few years for the rest of the world to see it,

A good couple of examples, Jermaine McGillvary and Tom Johnstone, Huddersfield and Wakefield fans know what these guys are about, and they'd been doing it for a few years, yet when McGillvary was first picked for England it was like a really big secret about what he can do, yet he'd been doing it since he was 18 at Huddersfield, just that no one else really cared to notice because of who he played for, Johnstone the same, he's been a very good winger since his teenage years but it's only the last few years these guys have been given any recognition over their talents, had they been at other clubs they would have been lauded as superstars before they were 20.

Anyway back to the game, as we said to Saints fans in the pub afterwards, we usually come to St Helens and it's usually the same old story, the forwards, particularly Thompson, bully us early on allowing the halves to spread the ball out for walk in tries, last night, we bullied them,  their pack was still good, but ours were better, their halves couldn't get any momentum and their backs were stuck in a rut when they had Giants defenders ahead of them instead of behind them.

Yes it was slow, but that played into our hands as Saints destroy most team when they play it fast and open, we turned it into an arm wrestle and they couldn't handle it, we gave away some pretty clever tactical penalties, like we did at Catalans and it worked for us.

And Welsby? i saw a lot of him at academy level the last few years and he looked good, but at the moment he looks way out of his depth but yet still gets lauded over.

20 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Is it though? I was more shocked Giants got beaten so badly last week than I am they won tonight. They had the best offseason recruitment by a mile it seems. They’ll be there or there abouts for top 5 

Saints away is a terrific win for the Giants and i for one didn’t expect it. 

21 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Maybe Saints aren’t all that great after all?

This also might stop their fans playing the “who is going to be the GF runner up” game.

Or maybe Fartown are better than most are giving us credit for?

20 hours ago, meast said:

Absolutely cracking effort, we lost Gaskell after a few minutes as well and was probably on the end of a massive penalty count as Saints struggled to make headway.

Superb performance and the perfect response to a flukey defeat ?and I guess we still haven't played anyone

And Ta'ai before half time, we played the 2nd forty with 15 men and still didn't concede, bet that doesn't get brought up though when analysing Saints shock defeat 

14 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I watched you play Wigan last week.

Then you'd have seen us play well and lead until Sezer went off then Wigan hit a purple patch and scored 26 points in a scintillating 15 minute burst, we've played well for all but 15-20 minutes of the season, so we are better than people are giving us credit for

Unless, of course, Catalans, Salford, Hull KR, Saints and Wigan for 35 minutes were all having a bad day etc, all teams most people predicted would be above us too.

Archived