Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

I’m excited about the prospect of Ottawa being in our league system but am underwhelmed by the Aces suffix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Well, we are still waiting for Toronto to start developing their own talent at all, never mind slowly.

I’m not writing off Ottawa yet but today when Perez again spoke of gridiron converts my heart sank a little.

Canadian clubs have the benefit of £0 cap for union players and exemptions for two U21 Canadians. I’d be disappointed if Ottawa doesn’t take advantage of those.

What do you expect them to have done?

Before they can even start looking at producing juniors they've got years of work ahead of them just getting everything to a place where that is possible.

They are starting totally from scratch, there're basically no juniors competitions in Canada, there's no scholastic system, and without them there's no way to feed players into a development system. All of the infrastructure that makes that possible will have to be setup from scratch in Canada, and frankly not only does a single professional club not have the means to just make that happen overnight, but even if they did they'd still need to find thousands of people (preferably tens of thousands) actually interested in participating which will also take time. 

Basically, from the base they are starting at it's going to take both the Wolfpack and the Aces decades before they start producing their own talent on a regular basis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I find it fascinating that people are more bothered about a club with a history ranging back barely five years but don’t bat an eyelid at clubs with 100+ years not having an Academy. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I find it fascinating that people are more bothered about a club with a history ranging back barely five years but don’t bat an eyelid at clubs with 100+ years not having an Academy. 

Who do you mean? If you refer to Salford, your point is wrong, as Salford have had plenty of stick. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Who do you mean? If you refer to Salford, your point is wrong, as Salford have had plenty of stick. 

My point is you have people bemoaning a club that is in its infancy (and another that hasn’t even started yet) being lambasted for its lack of youth development when you have a plethora of clubs from more established Rugby League areas, who have been around for 100+ years, without such a pathway. 

I’m not referring to any one club in particular, more all clubs who fall under this category. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

My point is you have people bemoaning a club that is in its infancy (and another that hasn’t even started yet) being lambasted for its lack of youth development when you have a plethora of clubs from more established Rugby League areas, who have been around for 100+ years, without such a pathway. 

I’m not referring to any one club in particular, more all clubs who fall under this category. 

Which clubs have no pathway? How many of them are aspiring to be at the top of the pyramid? 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m excited about the prospect of Ottawa being in our league system but am underwhelmed by the Aces suffix. 

Surely the ' Aces ' moniker us only really relevant to the actual Canadian/OttAwa audience , the city name is how they'll be referred to over here 

35 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Before they can even start looking at producing juniors they've got years of work ahead of them just getting everything to a place where that is possible.

They are starting totally from scratch, there're basically no juniors competitions in Canada, there's no scholastic system, and without them there's no way to feed players into a development system. All of the infrastructure that makes that possible will have to be setup from scratch in Canada, and frankly not only does a single professional club not have the means to just make that happen overnight, but even if they did they'd still need to find thousands of people (preferably tens of thousands) actually interested in participating which will also take time. 

Basically, from the base they are starting at it's going to take both the Wolfpack and the Aces decades before they start producing their own talent on a regular basis.

Yes , but if they are actively looking to do it , then fine ,no matter how long it takes 

31 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For the hundredth time , just having more academies in the UK game based in areas we already have several is not only a pointless exercise ,but also potentially damaging to the community game itself 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Will look in detail post work. Hope Newcastle go up this year as would hate a club who have a thriving academy miss out to Ottowa. 

Regarding the genrations to develop players,  I do think p and r limits incentive to produce home grown for non uk clubs so the NBA comparisons are not helpful. 

Just sling them in Super League with exemption from relegation for minimum player caps and let them grow without distorting the leagues below.

• Like 1

That's two of 9 CFL Cities, only seven more to go. 

Won't be long before CFL adopts Rugby League Laws of the Game and becomes a 9 team conference of Super League. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Surely the ' Aces ' moniker us only really relevant to the actual Canadian/OttAwa audience , the city name is how they'll be referred to over here 

Yes definitely (and in fact I think all the modern suffixes are garbage), but if they have to have one they could do a lot better than Aces. 

36 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Oliver, they don’t need youth development when there are community clubs all over the place. This isn’t football. 

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Won't be long before CFL adopts Rugby League Laws of the Game and becomes a 9 team conference of Super League. 

Why would we want to change CFL when we can have football and rugby?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oliver, they don’t need youth development when there are community clubs all over the place. This isn’t football. 

Who’s Oliver?

"Aces"?  Seriously?

Welcome aboard all the same.  Be prepared for the inevitable resistance from fans of certain english clubs who after 100 years of existence still play in front of 500 fans in ramshackle stadiums (we all know who you are.....)

• Like 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yet the Salford Academy produced/developed 2 half backs who have lifted silverware in recent seasons:Sneyd and Fages.

Niall Evalds ain't too bad,either.

Looking at Newcastle Thunder - back in 1999 parachuted in a club from Australia - then diverted to Hull.

All these years later it seems they now have a thriving Academy and reserve side.

Not all clubs have a year in super League to start to build - on and off the field.

London Broncos had many seasons - albeit not too successful - in Super League,despite a Wembley appearance,and their development has gone very well,over a similar timescale.

Crusaders had time in Super League - but in both Bridgend and Wrexham.

London Skolars haven't been fortunate enough to spend any time in Super League,and their time has been much more difficult.

May be difficult for Ottawa,if they develop young players,as they may be tempted to switch to Toronto;ergo a false economy.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

Toronto’s mission statement is to put rugby balls in kids’ hands. Unfortunately there is scant evidence of them attempting to do that.

By now I might have hoped for some collaboration with union clubs to offer summer rugby league to encourage participation in RL, a partnership with Canada Rugby League to identify and develop talent, school visits, perhaps a touch RL ‘little league’. Maybe they have done some of that but I haven’t seen anything.

I realise it’s difficult with their playing & coaching personnel based in England but they don’t appear to be sowing any seeds in their ‘hometown’.

Until they do they lay themselves open to accusation that the Wolfpack is Canadian in name only and has no intention of expanding the geographical playing base of rugby league. Some may find that acceptable but my belief is that expansion without that geographical spread isn’t true expansion.

Ultimately Toronto not having the squad depth that comes from having home-grown talent will continue to put them at a disadvantage. They must know this, so why aren’t they taking those first baby steps?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

So it could legitimately play Canadian football rather than a second-rate version of gridiron.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Because it's safer? Only the player with the ball can get hit and not by someone in a full suit of armour. 

Reading the press, theres a school of thought thats growing, they say times running out, even for the mighty NFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Wouldn't that be something?