Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

They bought Hemel Stags RLFC Ltd, Which doesn't  have a L1 Licence but which does have an RFL Membership. They 1st got dispensation to not compete & then eventually permission to relocate & finally the go ahead to re-enter for 2021. 

So they are full members of the RFL? Is that why they are getting funding?

• Like 1

I listened to a Union bod saying in the USA they are trying to get football players to try the game 14-16 before they get serious about NFL that why if they don’t make the cut they can “transition” back to union. Seems a decent idea.

53 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

If you have enough players in Ontario then a league would have to be created which Rugby Ontario should be looking at now.

Rugby Ontario? No thanks, Ontario Rugby League.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ojx said:

So they are full members of the RFL? Is that why they are getting funding?

Yes. Although I believe they've agreed to surrender an element of their allocations of central funding. 

Interesting, just read that New York are expected to hold a press conference on this Tuesday. The big news keeps coming.

Can't post the link but it's reported in The Globe and Mail Ottawa Aces article. 

43 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Your just making excuses for inaction, really. This is Toronto not Timbuktu. Rugby is a well established sport.

The Wolfpack could have easily started a low key, low cost local ‘academy’ (perhaps with help from CRL volunteers) by now. Even if at first it’s just a few dozen young lads training on a Saturday morning that would still be worthwhile as it plants a seed of growth. 

Yet nothing as yet. So far all we’ve had is warm words on local player development but talk is cheap. Do they actually want to develop Canadian players?

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Actually being based in Manchester is an advantage as they can pull from the league clubs in England like they've done with Rochdale. Ottawa being based in Canada will make it harder for them to attract players. 

Not sure Ottawa are based in Canada. Sounds similar to Toronto. Training in England, English players, ‘gridiron converts’, maybe a token Canadian or two at best. It was said Ottawa were to be more focused on local development but they’ve already changed their tune.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure Ottawa are based in Canada. Sounds similar to Toronto. Training in England, English players, ‘gridiron converts’, maybe a token Canadian or two at best. It was said Ottawa were to be more focused on local development but they’ve already changed their tune.

I do remember Perez talking (recently) of not being in a rush to get to SL, and wanting to be different from TWP by developing Canadians. Now, it is another 5 year plan, and get out of League 1 quick so New York can do it the following year.

• Like 1

Just now, ojx said:

I do remember Perez talking (recently) of not being in a rush to get to SL, and wanting to be different from TWP by developing Canadians. Now, it is another 5 year plan, and get out of League 1 quick so New York can do it the following year.

No flies on you.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

No flies on you.

Perez is a great salesman. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Might be due to NYC.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

I would say with the Aces joining gives the Wolfpack another option of offloading players.

Can't you be happy about this just for once?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I would say with the Aces joining gives the Wolfpack another option of offloading players.

People complain Toronto might off load players on UK teams taking away spots so would Ottawa not take pressure off some of those UK teams keeping some of those spots open.

16 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Can't you be happy about this just for once?

If Perez would have turned around today and said “we will create our own leagues” which will be made up of Canadians that way you have your own competition. 

I would have been happy. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

In fact there will be 20 plus more jobs opening up any true fan should be very happy.

Jobs for players who are already signed with a club....not 'more' jobs. Unless they are signing amateurs, or Canadians ! ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

People complain Toronto might off load players on UK teams taking away spots so would Ottawa not take pressure off some of those UK teams keeping some of those spots open.

Uk clubs can’t afford the wages these men want and have. Most clubs have off loaded to Toronto. Why would they bring them back?

Hopefully Ottawa do build differently and get to grips with development.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SL17 said:

If Perez would have turned around today and said “we will create our own leagues” which will be made up of Canadians that way you have your own competition. 

I would have been happy. 

That is what people said before Major League Soccer was created now those same types complain they can't compete with the salary some teams are offering.

Very exciting! Best of luck to them.

I’m not a fan of the Aces though but it’ll grow on me. It reminds me of the failed team in the Australian national rugby union competition...

13169983-1889-4F14-83CE-02C7ABD9210F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

That is what people said before Major League Soccer was created now those same types complain they can't compete with the salary some teams are offering.

Perez has already done this with Toronto. Probably the reason for leaving was the fact to expand they have to create an M62 corridor. 

But the buck now stops at Perez. He said it would be done differently! Not in the same context as TWP.

PATIENCE.

46 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Jobs for players who are already signed with a club....not 'more' jobs. Unless they are signing amateurs, or Canadians ! ?

Better paying, almost certainly.

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

They bought Hemel Stags RLFC Ltd, Which doesn't  have a L1 Licence but which does have an RFL Membership. They 1st got dispensation to not compete & then eventually permission to relocate & finally the go ahead to re-enter for 2021. 

Hemel had no business setting up a professional arm. They were the biggest and best community club outside the heartlands, with their own facilities, multiple senior and a full rack of junior teams, schools development staff, and at one stage feeder teams within the town. Ignoring that to focus the majority of their energy on a semi-pro team in L1 was a massive mistake.

It's a good thing that they sold their pro team to Eric Perez and have now returned to their core activities.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

It's great to see this venture proceeding. I don't care about the small number of very loud people who want to death ride this, the sport of RL needs investors and needs bigger markets to aim at. Good luck to the Aces.

• Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It's great to see this venture proceeding. I don't care about the small number of very loud people who want to death ride this, the sport of RL needs investors and needs bigger markets to aim at. Good luck to the Aces.

Yes it does seem quite amusing Toronto will become Ottawa’s feeder club.

I’m sure @scotchy1 will put me right on that one.

Edited by SL17
  • Confused 1