Dewsbury(H) game

m brooksy

Massive game for us this Sunday. Dewsbury have started the season very well with two impressive wins against Halifax away and then Widnes at home. They've got a couple of ex Oldham lads as well in Joe Martin and Luke Nelmes

In terms of the squad we have lost Kershaw and Croft on dual reg with Worthington and Johnson the likely replacements in the starting team.  I'd also look to bring Kay back into the team at full back. Abram looks very promising but has made a few big mistakes at full back. I'd drop Hewitt and move Abram to scrum half.

We have to start better than we have in the games this season aside from Haven away as every game we have been beaten almost before 30 mins are up. We played better in the second half against Bradford but I still didn't think we were that good and we'll need to be significantly better to beat Dewsbury.

Given the Widnes and Bradford games, Dewsbury will want to get at us from the get-go. They looked like a hard running team in the OuRLeague footage last week, so we can’t be leaving it 20/30 minutes before we grow into the game.

In terms of attack, if we’re looking at playing expansive, fast rugby, I hope we see more of the likes of Ince and Kershaw working the edges. Ince has a good record at this level (19 tries in 22 games last season for Widnes), a quarter of that wouldn’t go amiss during his loan spell.

It's a must-win game tomorrow.  Home wins against clubs that regularly finish in the bottom third of the Championship are an absolute necessity if we're going to consolidate our second-tier status.

In our previous Championship adventure we started the 2016 season with losses to both London Broncos (22-0) at home and then Leigh (48-18) away.  In both games we performed well in periods but ultimately lost out to the more experienced side.

We then hosted Dewsbury at Bower Fold, winning 38-16 with a great performance in front of 816 spectators.

In 2017 we played Dewsbury twice at home.  Once in the league and then once in the Championship Shield on the last day of the season. 

The league game was a re-arranged fixture because the Bower Fold pitch was unfit on the scheduled date.  We lost 20-16 with some shenanigans at the end of the game.  The crowd, on a Wednesday evening, was 575.

In the Shield game, we were effectively already relegated since we needed to win handsomely and Swinton lose badly to have any chance of survival.  It was never going to happen and we lost 29-22 anyway in front of 429 spectators. 

In view of Dewsbury's bright start to the season you'd imagine they'll bring a decent amount of spectators.  Not to the level of Widnes or Bradford but they have a loyal bunch of fans who are prepared to travel. 

It'll be a good indicator of where the club is at if we can surpass that 816 number from the 2016 season and hopefully reward those attending with a similar good win.  

Sadly, Kershaw and Croft are not in the squad announced today. Kershaw is playing in a reserve game, don't know anything about Croft.

This is the danger of loan and DR players not having a consistent or the same side out two weeks on the trot.

I fear that Nelmes will do to us that the Bradford forwards did last week.

That aside Oldham by 12.

5 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

The league game was a re-arranged fixture because the Bower Fold pitch was unfit on the scheduled date.  We lost 20-16 with some shenanigans at the end of the game.  The crowd, on a Wednesday evening, was 575.

That postponed match was so crucial in both our fortunes. Dewsbury were the whipping boys in the first half of the season and were favourites for the drop. It's odds on that , had the game gone ahead, we would have won. Their fortunes changed in the second half of the season and the rest is, as they say history.

Very little created from our halves. We did move the ball out wide but it was just for the sake of it without committing defenders or creating gaps for anyone to run into. We were camped on their line on a few occasions and didn't seem to know what to do. 

Unless things change I am struggling to see where our next points will come.

Absolutely awful second half. First half we tackled quite well and seemed up for the game which was a huge improvement on last week. Very poor with the ball though with our only try coming from a dewsbury knock on 10 metres out. Second half we dropped the ball first set let them get in front and it was game over as soon as they got 8 points in front.

For Dewsbury they played the game very smartly and dominated down the middle in the second half with Annakin and Connor Scott the stand outs for me. Finn and Sykes just get the job done no fuss

Charnock was absolutely appalling today with some of the worst passing i've ever seen from a half back. Can't actually think of anyone playing well. Terrible day.

Men against boys - yet again.

Next game up Leigh away. Diskin must see what we can see the halves both Charnock and Hewitt aren't doing anything. Surely the time has  come, in a game we have no chance of winning, to try something different. Drop both halves and give a full game to Wilkinson at scrum half and put Brooks or Johnson at out half. Anything is better than what we have seen in the four games played.

I thought Oldham had a good first half and spent a fair bit of time on the Dewsbury try line, but our defence was sound.Whiteout meaning to appear arrogant, I was disappointed that we let you score. 

I think we just played the smarter game, saw the opportunities and took them with Martin’s try an excellent one and Scott’s just a typical prop’s barge over. We are fortunate at the moment having a settled side and no injuries, but it might alter with enforced changes. Those might come in on Wednesday when we visit Whitehaven in the CC.

Your lads might perform better on a firmer surface, especially with Kershaw and Ince on the wings.  Good luck  

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Stats-

Abram-3 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 10 carries=41m

Ince-5 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 11 carries=62m

Worthington-13 tackles. one tackle bust. one clean break. one try assist. 5 carries=31m

Leeming-14 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 13 carries=98m

Kay-2 tackles. one miss. one clean break. 4 carries=24m

Charnock-14 tackles. 3 misses. 2 tackle busts. 8 carries=39m

Hewitt-14 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 8 carries=34m

Joy-31 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. 8 carries=70m

Owen-19 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 1 carry=4m

Beckett-31 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 8 carries=54m

Langtree-24 tackles. 5 misses. 3 offloads. one tackle bust. 8 carries=37m

Bridge-28 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. one tackle bust. 12 carries=88m

Spencer-33 tackles. 7 misses. 12 carries=66m

subs

Wilkinson-28 tackles. one miss. 5 carries=25m

Davies-20 tackles. one miss. one offload. one tackle bust. 10 carries=71m

Fletcher-24 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 8 carries=20m

Gwaze-37 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 13 carries=80m

From Brooksy's fantastic stats, missed tackles:-

Widnes 47

Whitehaven 20

Bradford 36

Dewsbury 34

Given the huge number of missed tackles against Bradford in the (nightmare) first twenty minutes, is it possible we're now getting worse?

Pretty low metres gained across the board really, I know the heavy ground won't have helped (and from the reports Dews defence was solid) but those go forward stats seem very light to me. Must be one of Langers quietest ever games looking at the stats.

As Bryan says defensively the figures are high on missed tackles also, with all that taken into account plus handling errors,and poor decision making it's no wonder we are getting beat.

How much do we miss Benty when he isn't playing? Hugely is my opinion.

All needs tightening up rapidly (maybe shuffle the half backs around, different game plan) if we are to pick up points, early days yet and we hope that everything improves over the season, to be honest (no disrespect to either Bradford or Dews) I expected us to get the points from those 2 at home. That's gone now, it's a tough league this Championship, Diskin is doing his best in as what ,as we know, are not the easiest of circumstances,he can only work with what we have.Survival is the priority, at the moment that looks a way off tbh. 

I'm sure the lads and staff will give 100% as always to achieve the goal. Wether we are good enough is debatable.

No matter what I will back them win or lose. 

Up the Yeds

Missed tackles are obviously not good but you are always going to miss a fair few especially as we are down the bottom. One of the big worries for me watching the game back was how little control we had at the PTB , an area where we have dominated League 1 since Naylor came aboard, both in attack and defence.  Dewsbury constantly got three men in the tackle and manipulated us onto our backs or a poor position. Whereas when we were defending we would get numbers in the tackle but they finished on their elbows and knees getting a quick PTB and plenty of easy metres. Down the hill second half was so easy for them and was probably the easiest half they will have all season.

In terms of changes we have to make a change in the halves. Charnock had a nightmare and whilst Hewitt wasn't great he was much better than Charnock. Abram has been good at times this year but teams have started to target him at full back because of his small stature.  I'd move Abram to stand off and let him just run the ball as he is very evasive and let Hewitt control the team. Full back would either put Kay back in his best position or look to buy a new player.

When Bent is back i'd move him to right side second row to help Abram in defence and move Langtree to Loose forward. Langers is one of the best and most destructive ball carriers in the Championship but is just getting zero ball out wide this season. At least at Loose he will be constantly in the game and it would simplify his defence where he would just have to tackle rather than worry about the Opposition half on his side which he has struggled a bit with this year as you can see with his missed tackle count.

16 hours ago, m brooksy said:

Missed tackles are obviously not good but you are always going to miss a fair few especially as we are down the bottom. One of the big worries for me watching the game back was how little control we had at the PTB , an area where we have dominated League 1 since Naylor came aboard, both in attack and defence.  Dewsbury constantly got three men in the tackle and manipulated us onto our backs or a poor position. Whereas when we were defending we would get numbers in the tackle but they finished on their elbows and knees getting a quick PTB and plenty of easy metres. Down the hill second half was so easy for them and was probably the easiest half they will have all season.

In terms of changes we have to make a change in the halves. Charnock had a nightmare and whilst Hewitt wasn't great he was much better than Charnock. Abram has been good at times this year but teams have started to target him at full back because of his small stature.  I'd move Abram to stand off and let him just run the ball as he is very evasive and let Hewitt control the team. Full back would either put Kay back in his best position or look to buy a new player.

When Bent is back i'd move him to right side second row to help Abram in defence and move Langtree to Loose forward. Langers is one of the best and most destructive ball carriers in the Championship but is just getting zero ball out wide this season. At least at Loose he will be constantly in the game and it would simplify his defence where he would just have to tackle rather than worry about the Opposition half on his side which he has struggled a bit with this year as you can see with his missed tackle count.

What about Brook?

Archived