What goes up

Looking back at promotions and relegations there are a lot of yo yo clubs. Huddersfield in the early 2000s, Cas 2005-2007, Salford in the 2000s, Hull KR and Leigh in 2016-2017, London last season.

Should newly promoted clubs be exempt from relegation for a year just to build a squad and validate having P and R

Relegated- Workington 

Relegated- Oldham

Promoted- Hull and Huddersfield 

Relegated- Huddersfield 

Promoted- Widnes

Relegated- Salford

Promoted- Huddersfield 

Relegated- Halifax

Promoted- Salford 

Relegated- Cas

Promoted- Leigh

Relegated- Leigh, Widnes

Promoted- Cas, Catalans 

Relegated- Cas

Promoted- Hull KR 

Relegated- Salford

Promoted- Cas 

Promoted- Salford, Crusaders

Relegated-  Crusaders

Promoted- Widnes

Relegated- Bradford, London 

Relegated- Hull Kr

Promoted- Leigh

Relegated- Leigh

Promoted- Hull KR 

Relegated- Widnes

Promoted- London

Relegated- London 

Promoted- Toronto 

What we should have is a sport with 10 professional UK clubs and some new housing developments where the other clubs were. On the one hand we can solve the government's housing crisis and on the other remove the need for P&R. To make this even sweeter we should insist expansion clubs crawl over broken glass and fund their own existence so said 10 clubs can play spin the bottle. 

Yes, I've always thought 3 years exemption from relegation was key. A club can then soend 2 seasons building the squad, bring young players up to speed et, rather than having to get whatever was left available as they often enter the player market after the existing SL clubs. 

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would people want these same exemptions if it had been Featherstone that had got promoted? 

I don’t see the point in P&R if clubs just keep yoyoing. If SL want to keep it then from next year have it written in the rules that the promoted team is exempt from relegation for 2 years, wether it’s Featherstone, Toulouse, London or Ottawa 

No, it just complicates things more. I would like to see the championship kick off earlier or superleague later in the year so that promoted teams have more recruitment time. 

Granted, Toronto have struggled so far but they've had 3 years of budget way beyond top SL teams and the people in charge have made awful recruitment decisions.

Looking before that, London relegation went right to the wire and Leigh finished 11th and would've stayed up under the current system.

We've got a decent system now and the championship has been getting better year on year over the last 6 or 7 years. The system isn't broke because Toronto hired Brian Noble to recruit players.

27 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would people want these same exemptions if it had been Featherstone that had got promoted? 

Yes, absolutely. I've said this on here before, way before Toronto were evern thought of. I think it should be all the way down all the leagues too. 

50 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not for uk clubs and if we are going to treat non uk clubs differently then just lock them into the league structure but keep p and r for british teams

Do I detect just the slightest element of sarcasm?

59 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I don’t see the point in P&R if clubs just keep yoyoing. If SL want to keep it then from next year have it written in the rules that the promoted team is exempt from relegation for 2 years, wether it’s Featherstone, Toulouse, London or Ottawa 

Yo-yo’ing is better than being lower mid-table every season. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I would

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The leap from Championship to SL is massive, Leigh never lost a game for around 12 months got promoted and then got pasted and back down. That was a massive waste of investment. If Leigh had been given time to stabilize they could be in a whole different scenario. They could be a thriving club in SL, but the way we do things they are on a hiding to nothing.

That rings true for all promoted sides

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

No.  This is what I would do.  14 team league for now with all 4 non uk teams free from relegation if a minimum number of players is from their nation. Lowest ranked uk team replaced by winner of Championship final 

So there would be two Canadian teams with mainly Canadian players getting humped 80-0 every week but they couldn’t get relegated - I wouldn’t watch that.  

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

The leap from Championship to SL is massive, Leigh never lost a game for around 12 months got promoted and then got pasted and back down. That was a massive waste of investment. If Leigh had been given time to stabilize they could be in a whole different scenario. They could be a thriving club in SL, but the way we do things they are on a hiding to nothing.

I completely get what you’re saying but it’s also unfair on the team who finish 11th and go down. Plus there would be no incentive for the promoted team to spend money in their first season. 

Only Leigh and Cas have been relegated straight after promotion in that list.

Cas finished 2nd to bottom that season and it was Catalans exemption that sent them down on the last day.

Leigh didn't finish bottom either save were relegated in the MPG after finishing above Catalans in the Middle 8s and subsequently losing to them (those French again!).

So only Leigh have been straight relegated once after promotion.

So in conclusion, I don't think there's really a need for it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, Eddie said:

I completely get what you’re saying but it’s also unfair on the team who finish 11th and go down. Plus there would be no incentive for the promoted team to spend money in their first season. 

WHy would they not want to spend, they have to improve. NOt investing in season one means you have to squeeze your investment window to 2 seasons instead of 3. Also abit of investment shows your supporters commitment so they will be more likely be along for the journey, instead they may do the usual thing that RL fans do and is once the writing is on the wall bail out and  stay in the pub.

6 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Only Leigh and Cas have been relegated straight after promotion in that list.

Cas finished 2nd to bottom that season and it was Catalans exemption that sent them down on the last day.

Leigh didn't finish bottom either save were relegated in the MPG after finishing above Catalans in the Middle 8s and subsequently losing to them (those French again!).

So only Leigh have been straight relegated once after promotion.

So in conclusion, I don't think there's really a need for it.

Its about building strong clubs. straight P&R doesn't.

16 minutes ago, Padge said:

' pasted ' , ? Are we talking 2005 , or 2017 ?

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' pasted ' , ? Are we talking 2005 , or 2017 ?

I don't know what you mean by 'pasted', but in reality both could apply.

Archived