Coventry Bears Podcast

There's been alot of changes at the Bears in the off season and one of them is that Bear Necessities is now the Official Coventry Bears Podcast. We've been going for a couple of years now and are approaching 100 episodes! 

In our latest episode we've got all the reaction and analysis from the Bears' first game of the Betfred League 1 season, a home defeat to Newcastle Thunder. That means quick-fire analysis and the post-match thoughts of Bears Director of Rugby, Alan Robinson.  

Not only that, we've also got our first song from a local musician to play out. This week, you get to enjoy Incompatible Me by Abz Winter.

It's available on the Bears website and all the usual places like Apple, Spotify and YouTube ?

The Bears came off second best against one of the hot tips for promotion on Sunday, Barrow Raiders - we've got match analysis, plus exciting news from Canada and New York, and music from Wilde!

Available now on the Bears website and all the other usual places like Spotify, Apple and YouTube 

38 minutes ago, newbe said:

Has there been any local lads in the first team.

Yes there are a number of local lads (well midlands based) in the first team squad. Current all time top try scorer Hayden Freeman is a brummie and came through the Bears Juniors 

32 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yes there are a number of local lads (well midlands based) in the first team squad. Current all time top try scorer Hayden Freeman is a brummie and came through the Bears Juniors 

What, if any, has the impact of the Wasps Yawnion franchise moving to Coventry had on the Bears? If you don’t mind me asking?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

What, if any, has the impact of the Wasps Yawnion franchise moving to Coventry had on the Bears? If you don’t mind me asking?

None to be honest. Coventry rugby (who Bears share a ground with) have seen attendances rise since wasps have been in town. The Bears were invited to play a game at the Ricoh arena by Wasps and had a crowd of 1000+ and we also had the 4 nations there. The world cup is coming next year which will surely be positive for the Bears. There was talk of wasps potentially investing in the Bears but that never materialised. Crowds for the Bears have remained steady but I think success on the pitch would see increases. 

The reality is that the Bears have the lowest budget in the league and need to do loads of work just to be able to compete. With investment though there is a lot of potential. 

• 5 months later...

It's been a while but we're back! 

In this episode, we're joined by Bears Director of Rugby Alan Robinson to reflect on the 2020 season, which was finally cancelled last month after months of investigation and planning from the RFL.

We hear how the players have coped, what went on in those decision-making sessions, and how Alan is doing generally.

You can find us in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, on YouTube, and just about anywhere else where podcasts are available.

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

It's been a while but we're back! 

In this episode, we're joined by Bears Director of Rugby Alan Robinson to reflect on the 2020 season, which was finally cancelled last month after months of investigation and planning from the RFL.

We hear how the players have coped, what went on in those decision-making sessions, and how Alan is doing generally.

You can find us in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, on YouTube, and just about anywhere else where podcasts are available.

Great listen guys, very candid!

5 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

What type of crowds do you guys get? Any schools in coventry play RL? How many clubs are in that area? 

Record attendance is 1500. Average gate is around 500. Currently there are no active adult community clubs in Coventry (though there was up until 2 years ago) but there are others round the midlands. The Bears have a junior set up with different bases round the city and will be setting up 3 new satellite junior clubs in next year 

Another week another new episode. 

We're joined once again by Bears Director of Rugby Alan Robinson to discuss what we can look forward to in the Bears camp between now and the start of next season. That means new recruits, new coaching staff, and a Bear Necessities exclusive about next year's playing kit!

Also, we hear more details about the charity bike ride from Hull to Coventry being completed by some of the Bears squad next month. To sponsor the riders, head to the GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/f/city-of-culture-hull-to-coventry-bike-ride

• 2 weeks later...

We're taking a bit of break now until near the start of next season but for our final catch-up episode, we're joined once again by Bears Director of Rugby Alan Robinson. This time, we're talking all about the Rugby League World Cup - both about the match taking place at Coventry's Ricoh Arena next October, and the Legacy Grant the Bears have been awarded.  

Not only that, I also talk through my personal schedule for the World Cup - or, at least, the schedule I'd like to have if everything falls into place!

3 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

I love this podcast although not necessarily a team you would expect to have a podcast from, it's a great listen and opinions I feel are always spot on. Keep up the great work when you get back on it 

Thanks so much, your comments are very much appreciated. It started as a fans podcast (and is something I'd never done before). It's obviously focused on the Bears but along the way we've interviewed Ralph Rimmer, Dave Woods, and Kurt Sorenson amongst others. 

The Bears have got some pretty big announcements in the next few months so there'll be lots to talk about 👍

• 2 months later...

So don't know how I agreed to this but The Bears are having our first ever Live Podcast! It's at 3pm next Sunday on the Bears Facebook Page:

https://fb.me/e/3lFyW8Tir

We'll have Bears Head Coach Richard Squires, Assistant coach Dave Scott, and Director of Rugby Alan Robinson. Should be a really insightful podcast in light of everything that's happened in the last few months 

40 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

So don't know how I agreed to this but The Bears are having our first ever Live Podcast! It's at 3pm next Sunday on the Bears Facebook Page:

https://fb.me/e/3lFyW8Tir

We'll have Bears Head Coach Richard Squires, Assistant coach Dave Scott, and Director of Rugby Alan Robinson. Should be a really insightful podcast in light of everything that's happened in the last few months 

Correct me If I`m wrong but didn`t your club run free fitness classes in the park under the banner ` Bears Against Obesity`, and a community bike ride at some stage. If I am correct, these are excellent ways to engage the local population and even engage non-RL followers with the club. When we come out of this pandemic I think there will be a massive push by Governments in preventative medicine, that means possible funding for fitness and healthy living, RL clubs should take the opportunity to position themselves to take advantage of this. Let`s face it we`re in the fitness game.

One last thing, I noticed on some of your earlier posts you have local musicians on your podcast, great idea, over here the afl have very strong links with a lot of comedians and it works , people love a laugh, maybe that`s something you could utilise.

Any way great stuff and good luck.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Correct me If I`m wrong but didn`t your club run free fitness classes in the park under the banner ` Bears Against Obesity`, and a community bike ride at some stage. If I am correct, these are excellent ways to engage the local population and even engage non-RL followers with the club. When we come out of this pandemic I think there will be a massive push by Governments in preventative medicine, that means possible funding for fitness and healthy living, RL clubs should take the opportunity to position themselves to take advantage of this. Let`s face it we`re in the fitness game.

One last thing, I noticed on some of your earlier posts you have local musicians on your podcast, great idea, over here the afl have very strong links with a lot of comedians and it works , people love a laugh, maybe that`s something you could utilise.

Any way great stuff and good luck.

Thanks for your comments 👍

Yes the Bears have done a lot of community initiatives especially in the summer months. These have been run for free or for a nominal fee and have been done in mostly deprived areas of the city. The Bears want to engage the local community particularly young kids and get them interested in coming along to a game or coming to training (they are the future after all). 

With regards to the music side of things, myself and the other host are really into our music. The clubs PA also makes the match day music focused. The club had a number of local artists play before the game when we played Bradford at home. This was really well received so we engaged local artists to be on the podcast and have their music played at games. We had quite a few artists signed up and then covid hit. We hope to ressurrect it again next year. 

• 3 months later...

It's been a while but the Bears podcast is back. 

In this first episode of 2021, Dave and Craig look into the Bears’ fixture list for the new season, talk about the potential return of crowds, and cover a few other things too.

Not only that, we’re also joined by Bears Director of Rugby Alan Robinson to hear about how things are going as the club prepares to finally return to the pitch.

Spotify and YouTube below:

• 1 month later...

The new season is fast-approaching, so our podcast is back for another look ahead!

This time, we’re joined by Bears head coach Rich Squires to hear how the squad is shaping up in pre-season training, which has been under way for a month now - with plenty of Covid precautions in place.

We also bring you a few bits of Bears news and chat briefly about some of the rugby league we’ve already seen this season.

Youtube and Spotify links below:

• 5 weeks later...

This was a really good chat this week. It's a brilliant insight into the mentality of the Bears squad and how pre-season has been approached. 

Also some great insights from Alan Robinson on the impact of Covid and potential reductions in funding on the Bears. 

Spotify link is here:

Archived