Super League wide open

Yes, if you swap Wakefield in 8th for Catalans in 9th, the top eight all look well capable of challenging for ‘finals football’.  As it should be, of course. 

I’m still sticking with Saints to be champions due to their pack but the Good Friday derby could change my mind. Looking forward to that one.

28 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So we’re 6 games in and I can’t be the only who has no idea who’s going to make the top 5, never mind finish top and/or win GF. For me there’s 8 sides capable of finishing in the top and 5 that could win the whole comp. Makes for an exciting season! 

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to say that the only reason it is so close is that the standards have never been as low as this in the entire history of the code.

It'll probably be one of the same people who offered the exact same opinion in the years when one team dominated the season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last year Saints had a great run in terms of not too many injuries but already they have had Coote, Percy & Grace out and now Bentley plus Smith suspended.

Over such a long season it’s almost survival of the fittest and who can keep key players on the field.

I agree that this season is wide open and it may not be for another 6 weeks til we see the top teams emerge.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

10 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So we’re 6 games in and I can’t be the only who has no idea who’s going to make the top 5, never mind finish top and/or win GF. For me there’s 8 sides capable of finishing in the top and 5 that could win the whole comp. Makes for an exciting season! 

To early to say but some teams look like they will be also rans.

I am impressed with Leeds and Huddersfield so far and Catalan’s may well be a dark horse.

Obviously Saints and Wigan will be there abouts at the end of the season.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Far too early to say it’s wide open, however, there are a lot of teams, pretty much all in fact, who, on their day, can turn up and look a top side. It’s those who remain a mixture of injury free and can put together some consistency that are the ones to look out for come play-off time. 

i would say that the bottom 3 team most probably won't change, but maybe just the order.

At the top?? Well?? I think WIgan have looked the best so far and have also been suprised (at times) by Cas as i didn't think they had recruited significantly in the off-season.

Dark horses, are obviously the Giants as we have had an excellent pre season and have recruited well with Sezer and having an almost fit squad from match 1 is like having 5 extra new signings.

My prediction is that we will see Saints come back to the pack this year (but still one of the top 5) while Gold Coast will see massive improvement in the NRL and it will reaffirm just how good a coach Justin Holbrook is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Allora said:

To early to say but some teams look like they will be also rans.

I am impressed with Leeds and Huddersfield so far and Catalan’s may well be a dark horse.

Obviously Saints and Wigan will be there abouts at the end of the season.

Aiden Sezer and Matt Prior - say no more. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Far too early to say it’s wide open, however, there are a lot of teams, pretty much all in fact, who, on their day, can turn up and look a top side. It’s those who remain a mixture of injury free and can put together some consistency that are the ones to look out for come play-off time. 

Maybe not wide open but certainly won’t be a runaway side like Saints have been past 2 seasons. 

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

My prediction is that we will see Saints come back to the pack this year (but still one of the top 5) while Goast Coast will see massive improvement in the NRL and it will reaffirm just how good a coach Justin Holbrook is.

Yes, Goast Coast look a scary proposition this year. Looking forward to seeing how they have progressed come Hallowe'en.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Aiden Sezer and Matt Prior - say no more. 

To be fair, whilst Sezer is absolute class and looking like a real leader, it's the likes of Murphy,Turner, Lawrence, O'Brien, Matagi, both Wardles that have really stepped up their consistency levels this year, and have all been superb for us, not to mention Sam Wood, who was probably no ones idea of a starting centre 2 months ago but has really shown his worth to the team now after a few years in and around it.

37 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

1. Wigan

2. Saints

3. Leeds

4. Catalans

5. Huddersfield.

6. Hull FC 

7. Castleford

8. Warrington.

9, Wakefield.

10.  Toronto

11. Hull KR

12. Salford.

Has any team ever got to the Grand Final/ been runners up then been relegated the following year?

Can't see anyone running away with it this year, saints don't look the same without Holbrook and can't see them hitting the heights of last year but should be in the mix with the quality they have, Wigan look improved on last year and I think Warrington will improve, Huddersfield and Leeds are looking good so far and Hull and catalans are stacked with quality, what ever happens super league 2020 is going to be a cracker 

17 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Has any team ever got to the Grand Final/ been runners up then been relegated the following year?

I don't know about RL, but remember Middllesbrough in Football - finalists in the FA Cup and League Cup, in the same season they were relegated. It can happen.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't know about RL, but remember Middllesbrough in Football - finalists in the FA Cup and League Cup, in the same season they were relegated. It can happen.

Birmingham were relegated after winning the League Cup in 2011. Closest one in rl was Fev being relegated 2 years after winning the title

F488C58D-9920-4C39-8074-BE7C8CEB15A7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

10.  Toronto

11. Hull KR

12. Salford.

I really can't see Toronto finishing above Salford this year.  Salford may only have 1 win but the key metric is that Toronto have leaked 214 points in their six games while Salford have conceded 150. 

Add in the fact that Toronto are running a thread bare squad and Salford will win more close games than Toronto this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived