costa

My husband refereed a Super League game tonight and was abused

50 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

If a referee is constantly wrong he gets abused by people who pay to watch a good game, it happens in every sport always has always will.  

Constantly wrong?

10 minutes ago, daz39 said:

there seems to be a few with a Wakefield connection on here that don't seem too convinced that it's not ok to abuse referees 🤔

You seem surprised?

29 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Nice to find someone else brave enough to say what I said, especially after all the opprobrium I received for saying it!

I've looked back at what you said and it was different that what I wrote. There's a difference in expressing disappointment in a decision, and telling a ref what you think of their performance. I think the two can be separated, and for me the distinction is when it gets personal. Saying James Child had a stinker and has a chip on his shoulder crosses the line into making it personal in my opinion. 

• Like 1

It's not often but at times like this I think our game is doomed. The best sporting product on earth hamstrung by Neanderthal fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

I find it curious that while fans get away with verbal abuse of the officials - the ones on the sidelines get it far worse probably because they hear it all - if a player even looks at the ref the wrong way he can be penalised.

The difference in the two instances is that in one it is the fans who are giving the verbal abuse while the other is the player.  It is up to the clubs if they wish to impose any sanction against a fan while it is the referee who controls the player.

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

If a referee is constantly wrong he gets abused by people who pay to watch a good game, it happens in every sport always has always will.  

However, are those who accuse the referee of being constantly wrong themselves always right in how they viewed an incident which the referee made a judgement on ?  If I had to choose between 100 spectators or one referee to judge a decision then I would always go for the latter.

• Like 3

Sad reality is a lot of fans would rather focus they're frustrations on the referee than take a look at the inadequacy of their own darling team.

i recall a game I went to in 2018 which James Child's was refereeing. Within 10mins of the game starting the home fans were on his back. In those 10mins he'd blown his whistle three times for infringements. On that day he didn't stand a chance with those home fans.

The constant tinkering with rule interpretations has not helped the refs. Far too many grey areas. It started with the 1-on-1 strip and steadily got worse with the PTB and obstruction rules.

ive got the utmost respect for the referees in our game. They perform a job that's just as tough as the one performed by the players.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

There are 2 posts on the Championship thread blaming the referee for Toluouse not scoring more today against Batley. Also suggestions of an anti-French conspiracy. 

The real reason is Batley have tightened up more defensively under a new coach but it's always easier to blame the referee.

• Like 1

I'm just glad to see that Meast has seen the light, given his long posting history regarding referees and perceived bias.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 hour ago, meast said:

That wouldn't work, because some like James Child(s) would report Wakefield fans every game seeing as he hates them and has a chip on his shoulder over them, likewise Huddersfield!

The one drastic measure that could send a message out is if the chief of referees and the trade unions/authorities backed the referees in walking out until it becomes absolute taboo, it would soon change if games weren't getting played

What makes you think a referee would be biased against a club of which he has no connection ? Furthermore if your theory was so blatantly obvious then don't you think the RFL authorities would have noticed and taken measures to stop it ? Or do you think the RFL are also against your club ?

If I watch a match not involving my club (Oldham) then I couldn't care less who wins ... so why should a referee think any different ?   If you think it's because of the abuse he might get from the Wakefield supporters then don't you think he also gets similar abuse whenever he referees at other grounds ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says

38 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I've looked back at what you said and it was different that what I wrote. There's a difference in expressing disappointment in a decision, and telling a ref what you think of their performance. I think the two can be separated, and for me the distinction is when it gets personal. Saying James Child had a stinker and has a chip on his shoulder crosses the line into making it personal in my opinion. 

OK you might have said it differently but it expressed what I was trying to express.  We all have stinkers whatever our roles in life and I have already said later in the thread that the phrase "chip on his shoulder" was clumsy.  I simply meant it is statistical fact that we do less well with him in charge for whatever reason. The reason which sits best and least controversially with me is a clash between Wakefield's style of play and his refereeing style.

I apologise if I've offended anyone.  I was trying to distinguish between the morons and the much greater number of what I think of as normal fans who sometimes let off a bit of steam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Constantly wrong? Wow! How does that work? Wrong side kicks off? Only forward passes allowed? 

Have you any idea how the game works? 

Booing is one thing, abuse is very definately another and is unacceptable. 

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The difference in the two instances is that in one it is the fans who are giving the verbal abuse while the other is the player.  It is up to the clubs if they wish to impose any sanction against a fan while it is the referee who controls the player.

Obviously. But in most North American sports the players and coaches get to vent far more to the officials over calls without being penalised whereas in rugby you just don't

Conversely, crowds over here tend to be better behaved. Is there a correlation? I don't know. Just an observation.

While not condoning any of the abuse this woman and her children have heard, which is totally wrong and should be stamped out of the game, there is a good question about the standard of refereeing in the game since professionalism come into that profession. 

Are RL referees treated with more or less respect than referees from other sports?

Football, RU, Tennis, Cricket, Boxing?

11 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Are RL referees treated with more or less respect than referees from other sports?

I can remember hearing the chant at Bradford City in the 70’s...(to the tune of My Darling Clementine) ‘where’s your father, where’s your father, where’s your father referee? Haven’t got one, haven’t got one, you’re a b....... referee.’  Not to mention ‘who’s the b......d in the black?’ (Bread of heaven tune)

So I don’t  think football refs have had more respect historically, almost certainly far worse than RL refs. 

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Obviously. But in most North American sports the players and coaches get to vent far more to the officials over calls without being penalised whereas in rugby you just don't

Conversely, crowds over here tend to be better behaved. Is there a correlation? I don't know. Just an observation.

Yes, we often see coaches in American sports going face to face with the officials (especially in baseball) and the officials actually arguing back with them.  BOTH should not happen but if the officials are not going to receive any backing from their authorities then I suppose they might have no option ... as long as they too don't get penalised for doing so.

However, as I say, I don't agree with it. If coaches are allowed to get away with abusing the officials then kids will grow up thinking it's always OK to do it.

I think we've seen on this thread that most RL supporters (even if they are passionate about their own team) are generally fair-minded when it comes to at least understanding - even if not agreeing - with why a referee has given a certain decision. However, there will always be those who believe their team never gets treated fairly and the referee becomes a scapegoat when their team lose (especially by players, coaches, chairmen, etc) and is also a convenient person to blame instead of admitting that their team were not good enough on the day.

2 hours ago, RMBJ said:

Most people outside rugby would probably be of the opinion that the respect shown by players to the referee (in both codes) is of the highest quality and which should be copied by many other sports (especially football and tennis where the officials are often subjected to abuse during play) while cricket and boxing officials are usually also well respected.

However, the world we now live in has become more and more of a complaint society with people forever looking to moan at something (or someone) either in order to gain some compensation or as a scapegoat for not wanting to admit that they - or their team - did something wrong or were not successful.

Therefore I feel that those who have been involved with Rugby League for many years (I began watching in 1962) can see a marked decrease in the respect now given to referees as opposed to how it used to be ... and for me that is partly due to their decisions now being far more easily scrutinised by means of tv or any other media. The same decisions are probably still being made as when they were years ago but those in the past were never shown later in super slow motion to prove that a player's fingernail had crossed the touchline a fraction of a second before he touched down for a try that was awarded and it is those instances that clubs then make lots of noise about in the media to try and deflect any blame from themselves.

In those games of years ago (and yes people can say "stop harking back to the old days" but there are still some aspects from then that are better than it is now) any player who abused a referee was immediately sent off and you never heard of a coach criticising referee in the media .... bring that back.  If a coach/player is ever asked about the referee they should just answer "no comment" and, if they wish to complain about him, should do it in the correct way by contacting the RFL privately.

To do it via the media just isn't good for the image of our game.

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

While not condoning any of the abuse this woman and her children have heard, which is totally wrong and should be stamped out of the game, there is a good question about the standard of refereeing in the game since professionalism come into that profession. 

In the past the decisions of the referees were probably equally as good/bad yet these days they are often scrutinised far more on the tv.

Common decency is not that common anymore, same as common sense.

People swear like troopers in front of their kids and that leads to a generation of kids that grow up swearing and abusing all and sundry.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I would assume rugby league has its own internal review process for the on-field conduct of officials so that any inherent bias of said officials would soon be exposed and dealt with. Hence there is no need to abuse game officials. In the heat of the moment you might disagree with the call and booing, jeering and whistling is to be expected, especially when replay shows the call is incorrect, but replay usually shows the call was correct. None of it should be taken personally and ongoing abuse of officials not tolerated.

That said, some officials are better than others, and even the best can have an off-day or make a mistake. It's all part of the game and tends to even out over the season.

Just as an aside, MLB is seriously considering automating calling balls and strikes.