Oldham

NickD

Tricky one to call.   I had this down as a massive game initially but our season start means I’m travelling in expectation rather than hope for a change which makes me nervous.   In recent years we’ve followed good performances with bad ones but I’m hoping LG has changed that.  
I’m going 12-16 to rams but know it could easily be the other way round if we’re not 100% on our game ?

This will be another interesting game. It looks as if the conditions might, once again, be difficult given that some rain is forecast and Stalybridge Celtic have a match on Saturday afternoon. However we have managed these conditions well so far so I would expect a similar performance to the last couple of games. I would hope that the players are well up for the game (too soon for any semblances of complacency surely?) and they will be facing a spirited Oldham side smarting from last week's defeat.

Roughyeds 16 - 23 Rams

Att 750

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The preview on the OuRLeague app with frontman Hendo and guest, Scott Murrell, both think Oldham have it within them to beat us. Are they aware of some knowledge we lack?

Given our last two performances, we should continue the winning run. The players need to keep on top of their game and rise to beat a strong outfit. 

Oldham 16-22 Dewsbury 

FTS: Nelmes

MoM: Martin 

Att: 739

Legs, Dews, Legs.

9 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

The preview on the OuRLeague app with frontman Hendo and guest, Scott Murrell, both think Oldham have it within them to beat us. Are they aware of some knowledge we lack?

Given our last two performances, we should continue the winning run. The players need to keep on top of their game and rise to beat a strong outfit. 

Oldham 16-22 Dewsbury 

FTS: Nelmes

MoM: Martin 

Att: 739

I think there will be quite a few unusual results this season as we have shown already and I’m not surprised they think Oldham can turn us over.  So do I.   I’m hoping we can win these games but away from home I still think it will be a great win if we do it.  So far the pitches have suited us. Hopefully it will be the same today as I still think we struggle getting over the whitewash compared to some of the other teams.   Fax outscored us 3 tries to two and last week two of the three tries were from kicks.  That said we seem to have a far better defence so it’s gunna be interesting 

Can put this victory down to solid defence and some peach passing by Sykes and Finn to carve out openings for the wingers in particular. Still problems with discipline to sort but all in all we are looking a decent side with some good forward power in comparison to last season. Still have concerns over creativity if Finn and/or Sykes get crocked but let’s be optimistic and enjoy the moment!

Think you're already halfway to last seasons total points tally!!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

A very sound well controlled performance in slightly difficult conditions. I'm sorry to say this but Oldham will really struggle in this league largely due to alack of depth in their squad: once Owen went off they performed less well. We won't allow this to make us get too dizzy but it could be said that, just maybe, we won't be flirting with the bottom of the table this season settling insteat for the boring mundanity of mid-table. (I can think of fans of a certain local club who would love such a prospect at the moment - no names, no pack drills.)

A decent turnout from the fans as well; something that I'm sure the players appreciated.

And finally, can I suggest that Liam Finn was our MoM?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

A very sound well controlled performance in slightly difficult conditions. I'm sorry to say this but Oldham will really struggle in this league largely due to alack of depth in their squad: once Owen went off they performed less well. We won't allow this to make us get too dizzy but it could be said that, just maybe, we won't be flirting with the bottom of the table this season settling insteat for the boring mundanity of mid-table. (I can think of fans of a certain local club who would love such a prospect at the moment - no names, no pack drills.)

A decent turnout from the fans as well; something that I'm sure the players appreciated.

And finally, can I suggest that Liam Finn was our MoM?

Built entirely on defence for me.  It was outstanding and at times almost unbelievable (given its us)?

I’d go Martin for mom.  Was involved in everything and took some super catches in defence.  
As you say BSJ; we mustn’t get carried away yet but I’m starting to believe we might not have an entire season looking over our shoulder. 
Think Oldham will surprise a few at home. They tried to play open rugby and it’ll come off some weeks.  

Nothing spectacular about our performance today, other than our two wingers’ tries with Gabriel emulating those of Tom Johnstone (and not for the first time), oh yes, Oakes’ wasn’t bad either, but that by Martin was special. Did I say nothing spectacular? Even for Scott’s simple dash over the line, he had to be on hand for the pass. 

Another solid team effort (slightly, ever so slightly, dulled by giving them their try. Our halfbacks were excellent again, but would find it difficult to nominate the MoM. 

Oldham kept pressing, especially in the first half and on drier ground, their young team may catch some opposition napping.

I make it that we just edged the penalty count 11-10.

Liverpool need only six points for the Premier League title, probably a similar number for us to collect to avoid relegation dare I say?   

Legs, Dews, Legs.

16 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

We've got rid of the under-achieving players from last season. Which reminds me, how are our former players doing at Batley?

Only Dale Morton is setting the dogs on fire.. But good luck to the lad. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Will Oakes is looking a very useful acquisition. And not missing the "heart in your mouth" feeling every time Rob Worrincy got the ball or was defending near the line.

But does Oakes have the same speed as Worrincy?

19 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Nothing spectacular about our performance today, other than our two wingers’ tries with Gabriel emulating those of Tom Johnstone (and not for the first time), oh yes, Oakes’ wasn’t bad either, but that by Martin was special. Did I say nothing spectacular? Even for Scott’s simple dash over the line, he had to be on hand for the pass. 

Another solid team effort (slightly, ever so slightly, dulled by giving them their try. Our halfbacks were excellent again, but would find it difficult to nominate the MoM. 

Oldham kept pressing, especially in the first half and on drier ground, their young team may catch some opposition napping.

I make it that we just edged the penalty count 11-10.

Liverpool need only six points for the Premier League title, probably a similar number for us to collect to avoid relegation dare I say?   

10-9 according to LE. Mind you they also had a winger as the MoM for each side, and they played opposite to each other, so I can't give total credibility to their report.

3 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

But does Oakes have the same speed as Worrincy?

Who cares?   I too do not miss those heart in the mouth moments that only a certain winger could bring. Did he score more than he gave away I wonder?

Archived