Your Coronavirus self-isolation list of things to do

Right, you’re stuck at home for two weeks and are the only person in the house who is isolated. What’s your plan?

I think mine would be:

- Start the whole pile of books on my “I’m too busy to read just now” list
- All the movies the wife grumbles at from Aliens to the Mission Impossible films
- Binge at least one complete programme that the wife won’t watch with me. Probably Farscape or Fringe again. Maybe even The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad
- Conquer the world as first the Soviets then the Germans in Hearts of Iron 4 now the new update is out. It’s no fun being the British, and the US is just a bit too easy. I’d probably go for purity with the Germans and keep those Italians out to increase the challenge of the game.
- Sniper Elite 4, on the harder settings, because I know I won’t be disturbed by the wife when I’m sneaking through an occupied town.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I have the six volumes of Remembrance of Things Past that I keep saying I will read and have been saying that since before Little Ginger was born.

So that’s me sorted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Get stuck into some serious reading, explore my CD collection,both of those would take year's to complete, and keep my fingers crossed the underground pipe from Timothy Taylor's remains working and undiscovered ?

Well, I had a case of wine delivered. Most of it has now gone, but I stand by my assertion that it was the right thing to do.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. Reorganise /repaint garage in anticipation of the arrival of Big Dug

2. Make  motorbike shiny again

3. Organise photo archive

4. Read Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Len Deighton, John Le Carre

5 learn to recite Ozymandias

6. Binge watch my Wigan videos from th 1990s.

16 hours ago, ckn said:

Right, you’re stuck at home for two weeks and are the only person in the house who is isolated. What’s your plan?

I think mine would be:

- Start the whole pile of books on my “I’m too busy to read just now” list
- All the movies the wife grumbles at from Aliens to the Mission Impossible films
- Binge at least one complete programme that the wife won’t watch with me. Probably Farscape or Fringe again. Maybe even The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad
- Conquer the world as first the Soviets then the Germans in Hearts of Iron 4 now the new update is out. It’s no fun being the British, and the US is just a bit too easy. I’d probably go for purity with the Germans and keep those Italians out to increase the challenge of the game.
- Sniper Elite 4, on the harder settings, because I know I won’t be disturbed by the wife when I’m sneaking through an occupied town.

Big fan of Sniper Elite 4 and I’ve never really had the time to explore it properly or complete it.

I’ve actually lent my PS4 and games to a friend who is recovering from a heart attack in his forties to give him a lift.

My list is quite boring really:

-Tidy up the clutter

-Assess the out of control Scotch/Bourbon/Irish whiskey collection!

-Plan a post coronavirus holiday!

-Design and start a new layout for the extortionately priced Lego train set bought for the inner child on a whim!

-Waste time on the Nintendo playing the grown up games that have been bought but barely played!

-Watch tv sport and hope there is tv sport to watch!

-Read one of the umpteen half read literary classics lying around the place (started ‘Crime and Punishment’, but only got as far as ‘Crime’!)

-Keep tabs on friends, neighbours and family that fall under the vulnerable group

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Big fan of Sniper Elite 4 and I’ve never really had the time to explore it properly or complete it.

I’ve actually lent my PS4 and games to a friend who is recovering from a heart attack in his forties to give him a lift.

My list is quite boring really:

-Tidy up the clutter

-Assess the out of control Scotch/Bourbon/Irish whiskey collection!

-Plan a post coronavirus holiday!

-Design and start a new layout for the extortionately priced Lego train set bought for the inner child on a whim!

-Waste time on the Nintendo playing the grown up games that have been bought but barely played!

-Watch tv sport and hope there is tv sport to watch!

-Read one of the umpteen half read literary classics lying around the place (started ‘Crime and Punishment’, but only got as far as ‘Crime’!)

-Keep tabs on friends, neighbours and family that fall under the vulnerable group

Sniper Elite 4 suits me perfectly, I have the patience to sit and wait for the perfect disguised shot, and the game lets you. Unlike most shooters where they throw enemies at you to keep the pace going. Probably something hanging over from my job as an artillery forward observer in there somewhere!

The Zombie version of the game (Zombie Army 4) is a serious disappointment because you simply do not get the chance to stop, properly plan an assault then execute it, it's linear with little rewards for pushing beyond the strict linear areas. I got it, dropped to prone on seeing my first lot of zombies then realised they were so close that that was a waste of time. It actively rewards you for speed of multiple kills.

I would definitely have a lot of fun completing the base game with DLCs again

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

All the jobs around the house that I can't otherwise be bothered getting to, such as decorating. 

Read. 

Use the home gym that's currently gathering dust. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 07/03/2020 at 18:46, Clogiron said:

Get stuck into some serious reading, explore my CD collection,both of those would take year's to complete, and keep my fingers crossed the underground pipe from Timothy Taylor's remains working and undiscovered ?

You will readily recall, Clogiron, that you kindly shared the details of your interesting underground pipe with me before, but - well, I am not getting any younger - the memory dims a little and the detail becomes unclear.

Could you remind me, please, of the exact grid reference for the pipe?  Thanks in anticipation!

ps can anybody recommend a good plumber?

You would need a dam long plpe and a hell of a lot of pressure to get it down to you WWD, luckily I only live 500mt away. Wadsworth's might be a better bet for you.

32 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

You would need a dam long plpe and a hell of a lot of pressure to get it down to you WWD, luckily I only live 500mt away. Wadsworth's might be a better bet for you.

You're right, although even closer than Wadsworth's (but not with the same length of tradition) are the Downton Brewery and Hopback Brewery, both within a couple of miles of me.

At one time, I worked in Skipton and my wife in Glusburn.  I recall, in the latter, "The Dog & Gun", on the main road at the Cowling end of the village, kept a good range of Taylor's draft beers and kept them well - happy days!

Doing long outstanding jobs can still be difficult even if you have the time. Once started, it’s Ok but that’s the challenge, getting started. A deep breath and into it. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 hours ago, RayCee said:

Doing long outstanding jobs can still be difficult even if you have the time. Once started, it’s Ok but that’s the challenge, getting started. A deep breath and into it. 

Unfortunately one of the symptoms of coronavirus is breathing difficulties so I guess you can forget the deep breath. Gives you an excuse not to get started though. 

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

You're right, although even closer than Wadsworth's (but not with the same length of tradition) are the Downton Brewery and Hopback Brewery, both within a couple of miles of me.

At one time, I worked in Skipton and my wife in Glusburn.  I recall, in the latter, "The Dog & Gun", on the main road at the Cowling end of the village, kept a good range of Taylor's draft beers and kept them well - happy days!

Yes, been to the Dog & Gun many a time, did you try the Wolly Sheep on the left hand side of Skipton Main Street looking towards the Castle? Another good Taylor's pub and like the D & G did excellent food.

• 2 weeks later...

Be myself, ignore everyone more than usual including Meetings, or church, be more polite, and politically observant to the idiots, sorry friend, on here, and have fun. Thats what life is about. At the eternal day, when your life flashes before your eyes, you want to have a giggle in your last breath?

We've come through SARS, Foot & Mouth, Brexit, and Spanish Flu, We'll come through this. relax my brothers & Sisters, 6 months down the road we will all be wondering why we were bulk buying bog roll, or we are zombie apocalyptic dead, then there is no problem with bog roll, just use Metro. After all junk journalism deserves its own end?

I have only had a car for a few years of my life. Generally, I do not like cars as they are heavy, dangerous, self-isolation units. Right now, they are mobile self-isolation units and having one I am going to isolate in the forest today.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived