Newcastle field 3 teams with 70% local players!

https://thunderrugby.co.uk/general/trio-of-teams-give-thunder-matchday-milestone/

With ambitions to win Betfred Super League by 2030, Sunday’s Betfred League 1 match-day against Workington Town marks a significant milestone in the development of Newcastle Thunder.

For the first time in the club’s history three separate teams, U18s, Reserves and First Team will play fixtures at Kingston Park Stadium on the same day. In a huge boost to the game in the north east almost 70% of the players on show will be either local or academy produced.

It is another impressive demonstration of the ambitions held by Thunder, who after being granted admission into the new-look Reserve grade competition now boast a complete player development pathway.

Starting with monthly, open-access player development programmes for U12s and U14s, the club operates academy teams at U16 & U18 levels.

Players can then progress into Reserves and First Team, giving players from the North East and beyond an outlet to fulfil their ambitions. 
With continued growth of the grassroots game in the region, where participation numbers have risen by 40% in the last five years and 16 community clubs now have over 1,400 players enjoying the game, the North East has solid foundations for sustainable, long term growth.

Newcastle Thunder chairman Mick Hogan said: “There are some exciting times ahead for rugby league in our region and the teams named for Sunday show how it is growing. 
“Across three teams of 51 players, 35 of them are either from the local area or have come through Thunder’s academy and that is incredibly important for where we want to go as a club and take the sport to.

“With new junior clubs forming in North Tyneside, the west end of Newcastle and the Tyne Valley, that next generation of players have something to aspire to in their home region.

“Whilst we’re rightly proud of the club’s development, it is just the start of our next steps. 

With four full time members of staff in our community team and big events coming to the region in the next 18 months, we are well placed to ensure this growth and development of local talent continues.”

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Excellent, would be great to see them climb the pyramid.York vs Newcastle in their new stadium next season, Leeds vs Newcastle in Super League down the line. Some great work. Anyone got an idea of the crowd today?

It was 1 011 - pretty decent.

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Its things that clubs alongside the M62 should be doing and have no excuses.

Other than money, what Newcastle are doing is extremely costly and as you know RL isn’t awash with money. 

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Its things that clubs alongside the M62 should be doing and have no excuses.

problem is teams like FEV have been banned by the RFL from running scholarship academy and this year told to disband  their reserves  to put in a nut shell once again this year 15 player from FEV lions  u15's  who could have come through FEV have signed for supergreed  clubs including wigan this has happened every year for well  over 20 years 

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which clubs are you talking about? 

These Rugby League clubs have had over 100 years to get their junior development right and still can't.

Its embarrassing that Australia who didn't start playing Rugby League until 1908 have their junior development in order and all we get from certain clubs is we need more time.

Repeat they have had over 100 years to get it right and still can't

15 hours ago, POR said:

problem is teams like FEV have been banned by the RFL from running scholarship academy and this year told to disband  their reserves  to put in a nut shell once again this year 15 player from FEV lions  u15's  who could have come through FEV have signed for supergreed  clubs including wigan this has happened every year for well  over 20 years 

What were they doing the previous 80 odd years about junior development?

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

These Rugby League clubs have had over 100 years to get their junior development right and still can't.

Its embarrassing that Australia who didn't start playing Rugby League until 1908 have their junior development in order and all we get from certain clubs is we need more time.

Repeat they have had over 100 years to get it right and still can't

Which clubs though, specifically?

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which clubs are you talking about? 

You are aware that the most successful 3 clubs in the Super League era have the best junior development programs are you?

There lies the lesson for all the other clubs doesn't it.

Get your junior development right and success will follow

9 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

You are aware that the most successful 3 clubs in the Super League era have the best junior development programs are you?

There lies the lesson for all the other clubs doesn't it.

Get your junior development right and success will follow

I know that, but it wasn’t my question. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know that, but it wasn’t my question. 

If you knew that why did you ask the poster the question. It's not rocket science

It's obvious that outside the 3 most successful clubs in the Super League era the other clubs are not doing enough on junior development.

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

If you knew that why did you ask the poster the question. It's not rocket science

It's obvious that outside the 3 most successful clubs in the Super League era the other clubs are not doing enough on junior development.

It’s not that simple. 

Anyway what I asked is which teams don’t engage in any junior development. I’m still waiting for the answer. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It’s not that simple. 

Anyway what I asked is which teams don’t engage in any junior development. I’m still waiting for the answer. 

Well i will answer for him, as I'm sure he won't mind, The ones who don't take junior development as serious as the most successful one's.

I must admit I'm surprised by your lack of knowledge of Rugby League, "Are you a recent convert to TGG?"

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

What were they doing the previous 80 odd years about junior development?

From the 1930's FEV were running u 17's u 19's and reserves  up to the start of SL and had many international players coming through their ranks then they ran u 15's scholarship u 16's scholarship  academy and reserves until RFL stopped them and left them with reserves that stopped when SL teams like wigan refused to play them

Last year FEV  started a new reserves team they played good rugby and won 12 games this year with  a new reserve league starting for all SL teams FEV told to disband their reserves and you'll LIKE this they had to disband because they didn't run scholarships and academy  

You've got to applaud thunder about their junior development but you got to realise if they were based in yorkshire they too would not be allowed to run junior teams 

Archived