New NRL ADVERT

1 hour ago, Poower Lad said:

Any views in this , predictable in that the decided to go political , also predictable that it has fallen on its A**e because of that . 

There is a glimpse of a player flashing an aboriginal flag and a flash of an iconic image of two Origin players kissing.

Predictably the insecure amongst our sport's fan base seem to be massively triggered by this.

On the other hand everyone knows the NRL season is starting so you tell me if its done its job or not.

The last thread on this subject got binned because it quickly descended into a political/cultural slanging match. 

If this one goes the same way it will also be binned off, because this is the Rugby League forum, for discussing Rugby League.

If you want to discuss this ad in a political/cultural context please head over to the politics sub forum in AOB to do so.

thanks.

59 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The last thread on this subject got binned because it quickly descended into a political/cultural slanging match. 

If this one goes the same way it will also be binned off, because this is the Rugby League forum, for discussing Rugby League.

If you want to discuss this ad in a political/cultural context please head over to the politics sub forum in AOB to do so.

thanks.

There’s a new Fox League one with Jimmy Barnes.

22 minutes ago, Copa said:

This seems not to be the full ad, featuring Australian rock icon Jimmy Barnes . It is cut off before the song is finished.

At least this one, set in the demolished Sydney Football Stadium, after beginning with images of Tina Turner singing,  shows glimpses of some great players and moments from the past 30 years: Mal Meninga winning with Canberra 1994, Darren Albert scoring the winning try for Newcastle in 1997, Gordon Tallis scoring for Brisbane, Benji Marshall's flick pass to  Pat Richards for Wests Tigers Grand Final victory in 2005, and other match winning stars in Johnathan Thurston with North Queensland,  Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess for Souths, Michael Innes for Cronulla, Cameron Smith with the trophy for Melbourne Storm, Canterbury-Bankstown, women's rugby league, and the Sydney Roosters stars Boyd Cordner, Jared Wharea-Hargreaves and James Tedesco.

Pity that they could not find a place for the future Immortal Billy Slater, or the heroic Cooper Cronk playing with a broken shoulder blade in the 2018 Grand Final win for the Sydney Roosters. Or maybe those are in the full song video?

Haven’t seen the advert and I’m not really interested in adverts so won’t be looking it up but I do love watching the NRL and am looking forward to the season starting. Working from home on Thursday morning anyone?

16 hours ago, Copa said:

I know Jimmy Barnes is a bit of an Aussie icon but that ad is better on mute.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I know Jimmy Barnes is a bit of an Aussie icon but that ad is better on mute.

I disagree with the mutue suggestion. The  really sad thing is how old Jimmy Barnes looks now.

I love the ad.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Rob said:

I think it's inspirational.  Love how the cycle begins again (at the end)

We have been over the issues in this ad before. Many commentators in Australia criticised it for many reasons, including the fake video of the Trbojevic brothers as children. But most criticism was of the political messaging about inclusiveness, which was said to be inappropriate. Several commentators on Fox League TV expressed the view that an ad that focused on the actual game was what will get bums on seats, not political statements about inclusiveness.Also the ad at 2 minutes is too long for TV. The ad has been taken off.

The video ad involving Jimmy Barnes singing was praised because it focused on the highlights of the history of the game..

35 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

We have been over the issues in this ad before. Many commentators in Australia criticised it for many reasons, including the fake video of the Trbojevic brothers as children. But most criticism was of the political messaging about inclusiveness, which was said to be inappropriate. .

"Many commentators"... don't give angry old men undue credibility. 

The ad is a bit bland for my liking but it's nothing to do with two women kissing or a fella with a flag. Quite why that triggers so many insecure people is a mystery to me.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

"Many commentators"... don't give angry old men undue credibility. 

The ad is a bit bland for my liking but it's nothing to do with two women kissing or a fella with a flag. Quite why that triggers so many insecure people is a mystery to me.

The origins of RL meant that over time it attracted indigenous Australians in ways and numbers that other sports didn`t. This trend became part of the game`s history, and is now reflected in its modern advertising. Simple as that. Not political, just accurate.

On 10/03/2020 at 09:59, Rob said:

I think it's inspirational.  Love how the cycle begins again (at the end)

Yeah me too, very clever - and this time with a girl inspired by Smith; as a father of 3 girls (and a boy) the fact a bunch of middle aged white men seem to have a problem with a more inclusive message is their problem, not the NRL's.

Evolution will take care of them eventually, the future belongs to the kids, who don't see colour, identity or gender in the same restrictive boxes these days by a long shot

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

19 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

We have been over the issues in this ad before. Many commentators in Australia criticised it for many reasons, including the fake video of the Trbojevic brothers as children. But most criticism was of the political messaging about inclusiveness, which was said to be inappropriate. Several commentators on Fox League TV expressed the view that an ad that focused on the actual game was what will get bums on seats, not political statements about inclusiveness.Also the ad at 2 minutes is too long for TV. The ad has been taken off.

The video ad involving Jimmy Barnes singing was praised because it focused on the highlights of the history of the game..

But we don't have to accept other people's criticism of the video, do we?  I've seen none of the criticism and I'm not terribly bothered to go looking for it, as I'm quite capable of judging the messages the video conveys myself.

I love Rugby League's history of inclusiveness.  We've not always got it right, but we have a much better record than most sports.

I think the comments from commentators on Fox are incorrect - maybe they're just playing to a particular audience? Maybe there's a reason why they're just employed as commentators and are not employed to develop the game?

I don't know who the Aussie commentators are, but here in the UK we have many commentators and 'experts' who are clearly not not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  They're not necessarily people from whom we should seek guidance ?

Yes, a two minute advert is probably too long for TV.  But who said it was designed for TV?  Maybe this variant was produced for the considerable online audiences.  It certainly wasn't too long for me.  I've watched it more than once!

Not a fan of the Scottish country singer (jimmy barnes) and to allow him to butcher Tina Turners iconic song is terrible. From an advertising viewpoint... it’s almost impossible to be edgy and mould breaking anymore, only that which is visibly and sycophantically ‘correct’ is allowed. Frankly; from someone who was weaned on the punk era... it’s just boring! 

Archived