Should England play France as preparation for the series against Australia?

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Sigh. Here you go then, do you think this is better than the domestic set ups in Scotland and Ireland or not?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongan_National_Rugby_League

Thanks for that. It certainly does look like a more extensive set-up than the competitions in the home nations currently. 

Contrary to what you may believe, not everyone asks questions on social media to try and trip people up and score points off them. The reason I ask questions is to try and understand different view points. But if people don't engage by answering questions or providing any supporting evidence, then I'm not simply going to take their word for it. That was why because you were initially reluctant to provide any evidence that I was left to assume that your argument was baseless. But having seen that competition structure I concede that there seems to be something behind your viewpoint.

However, I'm still confused as to the basis behind your argument. In your mind, what is the threshold for a country's development system being substantial enough to justify England playing against them? Whilst Wales may not have as many community clubs as Tonga has, it does have university and college teams, several junior clubs, and also several schools teams in the Champions Schools tournament. More importantly, the Welsh system has produce several players that are currently playing in the professional structure and for the national team. You admit that Tonga's current system hasn't produced any players for the national team, but deem that system to be worthy enough for England to play against them. However, you don't deem Wales's system worthy enough to justify England playing against them. It seems very arbitrary to me, and I just find your position very confusing and somewhat contradictory.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England should play someone before the Ashes, if simply for no other reason than the best way to build combinations between players and to test game plans is to play matches together.

No amount of training or opposed sessions can replicate this.

Now I imagine that Wane will pick a different squad than what Bennett previously did, and have a different game plan, so it would be worthwhile testing it out on the field.

The Kangaroos are likely to have played two matches prior to the first Ashes game with NZ locked in and the likes of Jamaica being looked at.

Whether France is an appropriate opponent, I don't know, but they'd be better having a run against anyone versus no one.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

18 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

The Kangaroos are likely to have played two matches prior to the first Ashes game with NZ locked in and the likes of Jamaica being looked at.

Whether France is an appropriate opponent, I don't know, but they'd be better having a run against anyone versus no one.

If Australia deem that Jamaica are a credible and worthwhile opponent (and they are), then France is more than okay for England. 

How confident are we that there will be an Ashes series?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived