Was a bit shocked to see them rooted to the foot of the table in the Championship when I looked. As I’m not a fan of a club at that level, I don’t know if I’ve missed something but is there an explanation for their position in the table? Injuries? Hard fixtures? Etc. 

They have had a really difficult start to the year. Toulouse, Leigh, Halifax and London. 

I think they slightly overachieved last year on their wave of success so I don't expect them to finish as high up the table this time round but I'm sure they'll be fine once their fixture list gets a bit easier.

I have been to all of our games this year, we have had a difficult start fixture wise (technically not bottom) but deserve what we have got, we have been poor in defence giving away weak tries and didnt have much going forward. Yesterday's game against London was a lot better improvement but only showed up after 20 minutes and was 18-0 down by that point

52 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Beaten by 34 to nil by Leigh and 28 - 4 by Halifax representing 2 heavy defeats in 4 games.

Basically sums it up, from our point of few its the nature of tries being conceded that is the most disappointing. No finger pointing apart from weak goal line defence  

They have been massively hyped up by people desperate to see them become a candidate for a SL spot in my opinion.

I'm sure they'll come good or improve, but I've said for the last couple of years that i didn't get the "love in" for York as a creditable SL candidate.

Yes, they're getting a new ground, but miles out of the centre, there's nothing to suggest they will attract bigger crowds than the clubs people are seemingly desperate for them to replace, and they don't appear to be doing much on the pitch at the moment.

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Yes, they're getting a new ground, but miles out of the centre, there's nothing to suggest they will attract bigger crowds than the clubs people are seemingly desperate for them to replace, and they don't appear to be doing much on the pitch at the moment.

Take a look at how they've increased growth in attendances over the last 4 - 5 years. 

People aren't "desperate" for them to be in Super League, but people realise they have really grown as a club - and should be applauded for that. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

20 minutes ago, meast said:

They have been massively hyped up by people desperate to see them become a candidate for a SL spot in my opinion.

I'm sure they'll come good or improve, but I've said for the last couple of years that i didn't get the "love in" for York as a creditable SL candidate.

I don't think anyone has suggested us as an immediate candidate for Super League. Maybe in a few years hopefully, if we continue our development.

We will continue trying to be the best version of a rugby league club we can be.

The new stadium is in the suburb of Huntington. It is 2 miles from the station, and 1.5 miles from the Minster. Hardly the dark side of the Moon. 

22 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Take a look at how they've increased growth in attendances over the last 4 - 5 years. 

People aren't "desperate" for them to be in Super League, but people realise they have really grown as a club - and should be applauded for that. 

And quite right, they've had a good couple of years coming back from the brink, it would be good to see a sustainable, competitive York side establish themselves

9 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I don't think anyone has suggested us as an immediate candidate for Super League. Maybe in a few years hopefully, if we continue our development.

We will continue trying to be the best version of a rugby league club we can be.

The new stadium is in the suburb of Huntington. It is 2 miles from the station, and 1.5 miles from the Minster. Hardly the dark side of the Moon. 

It's still not central though, the only downside that it's not right in the centre like Bootham Crescent, and on a retail/leisure complex, I'm sure it won't be that bad though.

York are always one of the first names to come up when people suggest who should be in super league to replace whichever club doesn't bring anything in that particular month.

4 minutes ago, meast said:

It's still not central though, the only downside that it's not right in the centre like Bootham Crescent, and on a retail/leisure complex, I'm sure it won't be that bad though.

York are always one of the first names to come up when people suggest who should be in super league to replace whichever club doesn't bring anything in that particular month.

Alot of it is to with the great off field work. We have an Excel programme developing young talent, a womens side in the super league, a PDRL side and just started X-League in York too. Thats working with a increasingly better amateur scene and a developing York St Johns Uni side too. The ex full timers we have had at our meetings have all described the training facilities as second to none along with the top service that we give our sponsors. The framework is building still work to do but we are getting off field priorities in place

The only teams that should be in super league are those that do their talking on the pitch as crowds or grounds has never been a problem to some existing clubs

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

32 minutes ago, meast said:

The fact the new stadium is part of a retail/leisure complex might help pull in a bit of casual support.

Hardly anything outside York's historic city walls (Goddards, the National Railway Museum and the racecourse excepted) counts for much as far as visitors are concerned. Very few visitors to York are going to stumble across Bootham Crescent, devilishly hidden away amid side streets, all outside the city walls. The club's old Wigginton Road ground (an unmissable splash of amber and black) was far more visible to visitors than Bootham Crescent because it was on one of the major access roads into the city centre. And opposite the hospital!

I suspect at least some of the support for York being in Super League stems from the club playing in a city known the world over, and visited by tourists from all corners of the planet. Most people outside the North of England would struggle to place on a map the likes of Huddersfield, St Helens and Wakefield. York is on virtually every visitor to England's itinerary (you know the circuit: London, Oxford, Chester, York, Cambridge). Hull, Warrington and Wigan aren't.

36 minutes ago, meast said:

Have you ever tried parking in the centre of York? On a busy day it can be a nightmare. It’s also closer to the centre of York to Headingley Stadium is to the centre of Leeds.

6 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

The fact the new stadium is part of a retail/leisure complex might help pull in a bit of casual support.

Hardly anything outside York's historic city walls (Goddards, the National Railway Museum and the racecourse excepted) counts for much as far as visitors are concerned. Very few visitors to York are going to stumble across Bootham Crescent, devilishly hidden away amid side streets. The club's old Wigginton Road was far more visible to visitors than Bootham Crescent because it was on one of the major access roads into the city centre. And opposite the hospital!

I suspect at least some of the support for York being in Super League stems from the club playing in a city known the world over, and visited by tourists from all corners of the planet. Most people outside the North of England would struggle to place on a map the likes of Huddersfield, St Helens and Wakefield! York is on virtually every visitor to England's itinerary (you know the circuit: London, Oxford, Chester, York, Cambridge). Warrington, Wigan and Hull aren't.

Bootham Crescent's opposite the hospital too... just on the other side. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, meast said:

And quite right, they've had a good couple of years coming back from the brink, it would be good to see a sustainable, competitive York side establish themselves

Sustainable clubs - lots of them flying about! ?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

19 minutes ago, meast said:

Why would anyone try and park in the centre of York?

Depends which way you come from, free parking is available if you know where to look (trade secrets). The park and ride goes to Monks Cross and alot of other transport options are being thought about

What they did last year was miraculous. Probably the best achievement in British rugby league in years. 

They could, and should, have beaten Toulouse and London. Last year they won loads of matches by 2-4 points, but obviously they can’t keep that run going. 

They’ve had the most difficult start, fixture wise, to their league season. It’s a matter of time before they start winning matches. 

Archived