Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

If Covid-19 gets bad has some experts say what happens when Toronto start playing back home? will the Canadian authorities allow clubs & fans to travel across the pond same with Toulouse if the Italians cant control it & other European countries get over whelmed what does the league do? I see in todays papers Wolves fans face losing out on their game in Greece (Olympiakos) due to Greek government saying games should be played behind closed doors.

So have the RL got plans to cover this because weather you think its going to get worse before it gets better or people are over reacting some sort of plan needs putting together.

Just now, Devon Ram said:

If Covid-19 gets bad has some experts say what happens when Toronto start playing back home? will the Canadian authorities allow clubs & fans to travel across the pond same with Toulouse if the Italians cant control it & other European countries get over whelmed what does the league do? I see in todays papers Wolves fans face losing out on their game in Greece (Olympiakos) due to Greek government saying games should be played behind closed doors.

So have the RL got plans to cover this because weather you think its going to get worse before it gets better or people are over reacting some sort of plan needs putting together.

Canada has made it clear they won't be stopping people from coming in.

20 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Canada has made it clear they won't be stopping people from coming in.

Airports are doing check on an ongoing basis.  Heat sensing cameras are being used and if anyone is deemed having a temperature they are tested immediately (swabbed).  If anyone is in a state of health conducive to Corona then they will be stopped going in and quarantined.

How it is in the UK, going out, I do not know.  It isn’t where I am now but it just seems common sense to test someone before getting on a plane as it’s quite a congested space.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Airports are doing check on an ongoing basis.  Heat sensing cameras are being used and if anyone is deemed having a temperature they are tested immediately (swabbed).  If anyone is in a state of health conducive to Corona then they will be stopped going in and quarantined.

How it is in the UK, going out, I do not know.  It isn’t where I am now but it just seems common sense to test someone before getting on a plane as it’s quite a congested space.

In Canada there not stopping people from going in even if they might suspect they are infected there told to stay in but unlike most areas there not being strict about it.

4 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

In Canada there not stopping people from going in even if they might suspect they are infected there told to stay in but unlike most areas there not being strict about it.

Canada have 57 cases and 6 of them new today.  

I’m not going to argue this but ask yourself this.  Why would Canada, with aforesaid cases and new cases coming in, not want to check persons entering their country for any reason on earth?

13 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Canada have 57 cases and 6 of them new today.  

I’m not going to argue this but ask yourself this.  Why would Canada, with aforesaid cases and new cases coming in, not want to check persons entering their country for any reason on earth?

Much of it is political the PM and our leaders don't want Canada to close the doors so to speak its the same reason Canada has not blocked flights from China/Iran etc.

From today's League Express:

RFL advises clubs on coronavirus concerns
https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-advises-clubs-on-coronavirus-concerns/

Please don't turn this into a wild speculation/mad panic thread - we've locked two of those already and this will go the same way too if necessary.

Stiff upper lips, everyone. Keep calm, carry on.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

French government have said no attendees or 1k max. 

I'm watching Stage 2 of the Paris-Nice bike race and its operating under very tight restrictions. No crowds allowed at the start or finish and no spectators allowed within 300 metres of the finish.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Catalans are seeking clarification regarding this week’s fixture against Leeds. Expect an answer in the next 24 hours.

As far as i understand (which is only from general info out there), taking the temp of someone walking through an airport is pretty much like security theatre, infected people are contagious before they exhibit any symptoms (inc a temperature) and people can have temperatures for other reasons 

A bunch of hazmat suited people with thermal sensors in arrivals is as useful as a stash of 1000 loo rolls in stopping the spread of the virus

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Toronto are already reportedly lining up Man of Kent to count their crowds in, and are cautiously optimistic that they will just sneak under the 1000 mark should the same thing apply in Canada.

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think the more interesting question would be what would happen if a player caught it and squads needed to be isolated for a period of time. It's a fine balance to walk in terms of fairness to all parties. Especially in SL where they have been so strict in refusing any sort of dispensation to Toronto.

It's more of an thought exercise at the moment though and I'm not sure it pertains to any particular club than any other

Even worse, say a Leeds player was diagnosed after travelling to Perpignan. You would have two squads quarantined and postponements for other clubs. It would soon become a bit of a clusterf@ck.

I am keeping a close eye on this corona virus situation.

I have to as by my name I am a Gas Safe registered engineer,self employed and as such I deal with people.

And I must admit I am a bit worried about the way that the number of cases are going up.

And I know that Italy is the worst effected and they have now put the whole country on lockdown.I also believe that the French Government are looking at banning sports events and public gatherings.

As for here I fear that it is only a matter of time before the UK Government do the same and ban public gatherings and put us on a lockdown.

And yes if as I suspect and fear it will happen here and rugby league is stopped for a period of time or played behind closed doors then absolutely club finances will be devastated and totally destroyed.

I just hope that I am wrong.

If it gets bad in the UK and most games are cancelled for the season, it is going to spell financial disaster for many. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I wonder if there is any kind of insurance that clubs have to cover this situation?

17 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It’s quite factual Mr Drake. Although given the facts 14000 people died of a cold last year in this country and my opinion is the media are scaremongering. 

People actually fall for it and people   do fight over toilet rolls.

In Canada some are projecting it could kill far more then the flu.

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It's an interesting question as to what would happen if they did go behind closed doors etc, rumours of more televised games to discourage attendees, might be worth running them as double headers if no fans are attending. Little point on opening two stadia for no-one to attend.

I think the more interesting question would be what would happen if a player caught it and squads needed to be isolated for a period of time. It's a fine balance to walk in terms of fairness to all parties. Especially in SL where they have been so strict in refusing any sort of dispensation to Toronto.

It's more of an thought exercise at the moment though and I'm not sure it pertains to any particular club than any other

Good points all round. But a sport club's dressing room is a ripe incubator for all sorts of nasty bugs. I remember a few years ago when the Pittsburgh Penguins were decimated by the mumps of all things.

I agree there is some scare-mongering and OTT reporting.

The problem is there is no vaccine and everyone can catch it as it's a new variant. 

Viruses like this spread exponentially, so the best way to control it is to stop it getting in in the first place. if this is not possible, then you need to stop the spread as much as possible. SARS was controlled within a couple of months.

The best way to do this is to introduce some level of panic to ensure healthy people take it seriously. Limit movement of people. Isolate those who are potentially infected and ensure everyone limits its spread by hand-washing and avoiding crowds in enclosed areas.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

If it gets bad in the UK and most games are cancelled for the season, it is going to spell financial disaster for many. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I wonder if there is any kind of insurance that clubs have to cover this situation?

I myself am not falling for the hype.

But I am aware that there is an issue in which is a cause for concern.

And it is true that many people do die of flu mainly as they have other underlining issues health wise.

And my worry for the sport of rugby league is that if the Government in their wisdom or otherwise do decide to put a stop to sporting events for a period of time,that it will financially devastate clubs especially outside of Super League where finances with many are already tight,at best.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

I myself am not falling for the hype.

But I am aware that there is an issue in which is a cause for concern.

And it is true that many people do die of flu mainly as they have other underlining issues health wise.

And my worry for the sport of rugby league is that if the Government in their wisdom or otherwise do decide to put a stop to sporting events for a period of time,that it will financially devastate clubs especially outside of Super League where finances with many are already tight,at best.

• John Drake changed the title to Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake pinned this topic
  • John Drake unpinned this topic

Archived