Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just another quick reminder this thread is about the impact of the virus on Rugby League.

If you want a general discussion on the wider impact of the virus, its origins, potential vaccines and suchlike, please head over to the Any Other Business forum via the link below.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/343-any-other-business-any-other-sports/

Thanks.

The Rugby Football League and Super League issue a joint statement on season suspension.

The Rugby Football League and Super League Europe today announce a suspension of fixtures in the Betfred Super League season, initially until 3rd April, during which time the season’s structure and fixture rescheduling will be considered.

This follows the latest Government advice regarding social contact and mass gatherings.

The Super League clubs discussed a range of contingency plans with the RFL at their board meeting in Huddersfield, and the situation will be reviewed with broadcasters and sponsors throughout the initial suspension.

These changes will also apply across other competitions including the Championship, League 1, Betfred Women’s Super League and the community game, with the RFL to have further discussions of the implications at meetings of Championship and League 1 clubs and community board over the next couple of days.

11 minutes ago, clogdance said:

The Rugby Football League and Super League issue a joint statement on season suspension.

The Rugby Football League and Super League Europe today announce a suspension of fixtures in the Betfred Super League season, initially until 3rd April, during which time the season’s structure and fixture rescheduling will be considered.

This follows the latest Government advice regarding social contact and mass gatherings.

The Super League clubs discussed a range of contingency plans with the RFL at their board meeting in Huddersfield, and the situation will be reviewed with broadcasters and sponsors throughout the initial suspension.

These changes will also apply across other competitions including the Championship, League 1, Betfred Women’s Super League and the community game, with the RFL to have further discussions of the implications at meetings of Championship and League 1 clubs and community board over the next couple of days.

It’s a start but probably more like 3 months than 2 weeks

37 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

What is the point of saying shutdown till April  when the Government is talking about 3 to 4 months at the least, just who do they think they are kidding, closedown till advised otherwise should be the statement.

They didn't say until April.  They said "initially until.. April". Very different. 

This is a very fluid situation.  It is impossible to plan for the unknown. 

• Like 1

Using the word 'initially' doesn't alter the fact that the game is closed until the Government says otherwise so why not just say that and have done with it.

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Using the word 'initially' doesn't alter the fact that the game is closed until the Government says otherwise so why not just say that and have done with it

Probably true.  I was simply pointing out what they had said. 

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Not necessarily, If the go behind closed doors they arent really a major event

Somehow the 34 player's, 3 match officials and numerous support staff, what 60+ seems in contradiction to what the Government is advising at present, never mind the 2mt social space reccomended will be great to watch won't it, and we haven't even mentioned a player or staff being positive for the virus.

We've come through 2 World Wars, many Foot and Mouth, Spanish Flu, SARS, & EBOLA, Rugby League is a survivors  game, we'll  still be here when soccer gives up, because we will always survive in 6 months.

• Confused 2

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Eamonn McManus is saying that RL "may go out of existence" .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51905897

No it won't ... Rugby League will always be played !

OK maybe not at fully professional level (which is all McManus is really bothered about) but the game will always be played and supported by those who want to do so.

Following on from the above ....

There has just been a report on the BBC's North-West Tonight programme about the problems RL teams might have to endure and repeated McManus's comment. They said that RL clubs rely on gate receipts to survive and without such income many might go to the wall.

Again - ridiculous.  Yes those clubs might not then have enough money to pay the same wages as they do presently and so they might have to cut back. If they then can't afford any players then it's "welcome to real world" where most people would like to buy many things they can't afford but are restricted by their income.

Therefore clubs might still survive but not playing at the same level. .... and would those like McManus then still be as passionate about them ?

Other than the Premier League, NBA and NFL,  all professional sports could be decimated by this, across Europe and the world too. They (and rugby league) will all be back, just in a different form. If some clubs have to go semi pro so what, they’ll all still be there playing for their fans to go and watch, and over time things will get back to normal. 

james graham has come out and said players including himslf should take pay cuts for the good of the game, I wonder if dollar bill Williams will echo that sentiment?

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

james graham has come out and said players including himslf should take pay cuts for the good of the game, I wonder if dollar bill Williams will echo that sentiment?

The problem is that it might be OK for James Graham, who has had a good career and been pretty well paid - but many of the 'average joe' type players are paid very modestly.

With mortgages and other financial commitments to meet, I suspect many players can't really afford to take pay cuts even if they wanted to

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

The problem is that it might be OK for James Graham, who has had a good career and been pretty well paid - but many of the 'average joe' type players are paid very modestly.

With mortgages and other financial commitments to meet, I suspect many players can't really afford to take pay cuts even if they wanted to

think he was only talking about players like him self and other stars with lesser paid players in mind

• Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

46 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Following on from the above ....

There has just been a report on the BBC's North-West Tonight programme about the problems RL teams might have to endure and repeated McManus's comment. They said that RL clubs rely on gate receipts to survive and without such income many might go to the wall.

Again - ridiculous.  Yes those clubs might not then have enough money to pay the same wages as they do presently and so they might have to cut back. If they then can't afford any players then it's "welcome to real world" where most people would like to buy many things they can't afford but are restricted by their income.

Therefore clubs might still survive but not playing at the same level. .... and would those like McManus then still be as passionate about them ?

What on earth are you talking about? The clubs have signed contracts with players based on their projected income. TV money is part of that income (it's not somehow illigitimate just because you have some weird hobby horse about it).

They could not have foreseen that almost all their income streams would dry up overnight, most of them were living in the real world but no worst case scenario planning could have prepared them for the current situation.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, M j M said:

What on earth are you talking about? The clubs have signed contracts with players based on their projected income. TV money is part of that income (it's not somehow illigitimate just because you have some weird hobby horse about it).

They could not have foreseen that almost all their income streams would dry up overnight, most of them were living in the real world but no worst case scenario planning could have prepared them for the current situation.

And why don't you read what is written instead of reading "into" it ?

When did I say this was to happen NOW ?

This is what I wrote ....

" ....those clubs might not then have enough money to pay the same wages as they do presently and so they might have to cut back. If they then can't afford any players ...."

ie "THEN" and "AS THEY DO PRESENTLY"  (ie  IN THE FUTURE !!!!!!!!!!!!)

And just when did I mention tv money ?  I clearly mentioned gate receipts which is what was talked about in the tv report.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

53 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Players can’t have it both ways. If they negotiate a revenue sharing model then that surely must come with the chance of lower salaries.

Perhaps those players struggling with mortgages can approach player charities to assist in the short term.

I was just thinking that one sad thing of all this is that after everything RL's had to  put up with it may be the flu that finishes it off.

4 hours ago, LR23 said:

I think the clubs need the money from the additional home fixtures though - if we cut a load of fixtures (even the loop fixtures) will those without wealthy benefactors be able to cope?

They will just have to work on getting more through the gate than they presently do for the remaining games they do get.

If they’re serious about it, then they will really take advantage of the less is more theory.

I absolutely give up predicting what is going to happen with this as about six weeks ago I thought it would be little more than a storm in a teacup and even 2 weeks ago, I didn't foresee the restrictions put in place today so the exact timeline I am not guessing at but it doesn't appear this could possibly be sorted as quickly as the initial suspension so long term financial hardship seems inevitable. 

All sports are going to have to have a sit-down with satellite providers. Without their money, many UK sports clubs would be unviable but without uk sport, sky and bt subscriptions would be far less popular and worth buttons. We've got to work out something mutually beneficial. Exactly what that looks like I don't know though.

A view from Fev. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb