Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Almost as delusional as Lord Coe and the 2020 Olympics! 

Pardon me, if this opinion has already been voiced on this thread but the Covid19 virus may just be the event that forces Superleague club owners to have a good hard look at the way the vast majority spend more than they earn and together  make the momentous decision re-set and go part-time again with a strict semi-professional contract structure.  We wouldn’t be competitive internationally, but the greatest game would survive and flourish, as imo, it would be truly inclusive for all clubs, rather than success on the field being exclusive to those with the deepest pockets.

Vive la  revolution brothers and sisters!

Edited by John Boriston
Spelling
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I don't think the government's priority is rugby league, it's the nation. I don't think any sport will take priority over people's lives and wellbeing. 

RL clubs operate in the SME area that the government has pledged to support.

What I would expect from the clubs and particularly the highest earning players is some sort of temporary wage cut/spreading of the burden though. Its happening in football already and is likely to happen in RU soon too.

• Like 4

I think the very best case scenario is that we see the season,what is left of it resume in say July.

At worst there will be no rugby league this year.

I cannot see the Government allowing any sporting events taking place until this Coronavirus is totally eliminated.

As to what will emerge from this wreckage I really do not know.

But my feeling is that this sport will never ever be the same again.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

RL clubs operate in the SME area that the government has pledged to support.

What I would expect from the clubs and particularly the highest earning players is some sort of temporary wage cut/spreading of the burden though. Its happening in football already and is likely to happen in RU soon too.

Gareth Carvell, the players' union rep, has already spoken of the likelihood that players will defer wages in order to see clubs  get through this period.

• Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 18/03/2020 at 16:08, whatmichaelsays said:

They're only a "necessity" because clubs base their budgets on zero-growth thinking. 

We should not be encouraging that sort of thinking through the league structure. Doing so only encourages clubs and owners to "sweat the assets" even more until we reach the point where the assets (namely, the players) are burnt out, the product quality diminishes and so, in turn, does the number of people willing to pay for it and the amount they are willing to pay. We are arguably already at that point. 

The clubs should be focused on growth. They should be selling more tickets to the games they have, doing more to attract better sponsors, attracting the right corporate clients and making each matchday and non-matchday more valuable. They shouldn't be simply trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the same small pool of customers and asking more and more of a playing talent that, alongside being asked to play more games, has had real-terms pay-cuts imposed on them for the best part of two decades. 

If clubs aren't growing, that's their issue to solve. But we shouldn't build a product that panders to owners who think that the only way that they can possibly survive is by having more events to sell pints at. The sport needs to get away from this idea of selling more of what people don't want, and towards creating stuff that more people do want. 

Fanrastic post

I've not been on here for a few week and I'm not reading through 22 pages so what I'm about to say has probably already been said..

Scrap the first half of the season and the cups and the loop games and restart the league season at the halfway point,play each other once then into the play offs.

By my reckoning that means we don't start super league again till June 26,play 11 rounds and then start the play offs as normal from the 18th September.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

e-mail sent to me from QANTAS

All Qantas and Jetstar international flights from Australia will be suspended from the end of March until at least the end of May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787s.

Relevant to the forum as there will be no new players friom down under and those antipodeans already here with RL Clubs now have a choice to make about staying here or going back home until this is over..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think the very best case scenario is that we see the season,what is left of it resume in say July.

At worst there will be no rugby league this year.

I cannot see the Government allowing any sporting events taking place until this Coronavirus is totally eliminated.

As to what will emerge from this wreckage I really do not know.

But my feeling is that this sport will never ever be the same again.

Agreed, what the future holds for rugby league, God only knows. Its probably the same thoughts as others in other sports. We're in the lap of the gods now and we can only hope that the game can come through this. Fingers crossed we can as a nation come through this and we can all get back to some sort of normality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I've not been on here for a few week and I'm not reading through 22 pages so what I'm about to say has probably already been said..

Scrap the first half of the season and the cups and the loop games and restart the league season at the halfway point,play each other once then into the play offs.

By my reckoning that means we don't start super league again till June 26,play 11 rounds and then start the play offs as normal from the 18th September.

In theory i'd agree with that, but just restarting immediately causes a problem as clubs have already played differing numbers of games, some 7, some 6 and others only 5.

Personally i'd start from scratch again at the end of June. Everyone then plays 5 home & 5 away games and after 10 rounds we play a Magic weekend, then the play-off's

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

In theory i'd agree with that, but just restarting immediately causes a problem as clubs have already played differing numbers of games, some 7, some 6 and others only 5.

Personally i'd start from scratch again at the end of June. Everyone then plays 5 home & 5 away games and after 10 rounds we play a Magic weekend, then the play-off's

Sorry i should have said everyone starts on zero again 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

6 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Gareth Carvell, the players' union rep, has already spoken of the likelihood that players will defer wages in order to see clubs  get through this period.

Its needed and its mutually beneficial, players need to keep clubs afloat 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

We're not going to start in June.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

11 Rounds of 6 Games each, rounds hosted by 11 different venues could start on 4/5 July and use the original Old Trafford GF date of 10th October.

I think you're right in that we need to be prepared for something as basic as "everyone plays everyone else once" before a Grand Final being the best possible option. (And equivalents for Championship and League One.)

I think the Challenge Cup, 1895 Cup and international season should be assumed to be gone.

I'm not sure you can promote or relegate anyone after a season like that.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

For context rather than debate (so not cross-code): the RFU has just announced that the 2019/20 season is 'over', except for the Premiership which they don't control but are in discussions with.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For context rather than debate (so not cross-code): the RFU has just announced that the 2019/20 season is 'over', except for the Premiership which they don't control but are in discussions with.

In fairness, the "big" decisions in RU are fairly straightforward. In the Championship, Newcastle are unlikely to be caught and Yorkshire are going to finish bottom. Even for the Premiership, we know that Saracens are down - the only issue for them is if and how they settle the play-offs / European qualification. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We're not going to restart in July either.

Nobody seems to be listening do they? The Prime Minister has just said he hopes to stop the exponential increase in cases in 12 weeks time - and that's if everyone pays attention to social distancing measures which they are not. And that's hardly the same as beating the virus which is a long, long way off. And as the Imperial College report stated, as soon as social restrictions were relaxed then cases would likely surge up again until we have general immunity or a vaccine (a year to 18 months away). 

Circumstances could change of course but at the moment I can't see Super League starting up again for the foreseeable future.

52 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Nobody seems to be listening do they? The Prime Minister has just said he hopes to stop the exponential increase in cases in 12 weeks time - and that's if everyone pays attention to social distancing measures which they are not. And that's hardly the same as beating the virus which is a long, long way off. And as the Imperial College report stated, as soon as social restrictions were relaxed then cases would likely surge up again until we have general immunity or a vaccine (a year to 18 months away). 

Circumstances could change of course but at the moment I can't see Super League starting up again for the foreseeable future.

Let's not express our hopes for best case scenario on a RL forum then.

Social distancing will be in place if the rounds are played in front of tv cameras only, behind closed doors (no spectators) 

Players can't work from home, so they are working where they can, they are not been forced to work. 

Could implement a mandatory weekly COVID-19 test for all players.