Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The clubs in the end are only recepticles for fan support. They can be restarted easily though if the fans come back automatically. I don't see that fan response as automatic, though others here do.

Focussing our attention on rescuing the businesses rather than engaging with the fans would not be the best option in my view. Except of course, if the clubs themselves were the main vehicles for that fan engagement and outreach.

This is  going to last months. Bailing clubs out so they can sit on their hands and ride it out isn't the most important thing for the sport. But if they switch to becoming fully fledged community institutions to support the local populace - way beyond sport - then they have a crucial role which will help in the rebuild. 

I generally agree. I think a lot of our clubs do fulfil this role, and definitely agree with this - the ones that do it well are likely to be stronger and more able to survive this. 

But my view is that say Warrington have 20-30k 'fans' in the town, I think even if the season is written off, they would still be there next year, and with the right re-launch would probably lead to some bigger crowds. This is different to the likes of the Bradford Bulls debacle, where bad faith and customer trust was broken. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I generally agree. I think a lot of our clubs do fulfil this role, and definitely agree with this - the ones that do it well are likely to be stronger and more able to survive this. 

But my view is that say Warrington have 20-30k 'fans' in the town, I think even if the season is written off, they would still be there next year, and with the right re-launch would probably lead to some bigger crowds. This is different to the likes of the Bradford Bulls debacle, where bad faith and customer trust was broken. 

A good comparison. You're closer to it than I am, do you think Warrington's management have started to think yet about how they might evolve the clubs role in the town if it looks like a long stoppage? Well run clubs like Warrington need to set the standard on this. SL/RFL kinda become irrelevant here. 

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That's... optimistic! Comcast shares have fallen by 31% in the past month. I'm not sure any contracts are going to be signed with anyone until some sort of stability has been reached. 

We need to remember that we are being paid a really modest amount of money. The new contract would be to cover next season and beyond. No-one is projecting that this will have a huge impact on next season.

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

A good comparison. You're closer to it than I am, do you think Warrington's management have started to think yet about how they might evolve the clubs role in the town if it looks like a long stoppage? Well run clubs like Warrington need to set the standard on this. SL/RFL kinda become irrelevant here. 

I'm not close really to what Wire are doing, and live a fair way away so not hearing much on the ground. At the moment there has been a nice message about us being part of the Wire family and we'll get more info soon. 

The Community Foundation has cancelled all activity apart from that in schools. 

I think there is a lot that can be done around supporting the community, the stadium being right in the centre of town means it can be a bit of a hub.

• Like 1

The League need to put forward as much certainty as possible.

Scrap the internationals. If needed do some "Origin", lancs yorks games on at the eventual end of season. 

Scrap loop fixtures, try the best for magic but not essential. Extent the season if needs be. Get some sort of season. Truncate the next season if needs be as well, as this season might run over, and hope the WC can go ahead after that. 

Just try to run 2 seasons that are shorter than normal to give some organisation.  We dont need 2 games a week.

I've just read up on the Imperial College modelling that the Government used when it decided to implement social distancing measures. It basically says if we relax these before a vaccine is available then infection rates will soar again leading to large numbers of deaths and the NHS being overwhelmed. A widely available vaccine isn't expected for 18 months. They may find a balance with social distancing measures but from what I read that is unlikely to include mass gatherings. I think it is likely the season will be a write off.

22 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Then f#@k him and his business. I hope it does go bust and the people who are unfortunate enough to work for him find jobs for employers who value them as more than simple tools to promote a greedy soulless mans pointless avarice. 

Out of interest Scotchy, do you have a source for Branson having a personal wealth of £5 billion? 

Giving up loop fixtures means giving up a large amount of income. The loop fixtures are not there because anyone really prefers to play teams 3 times they are there as a matter of financial necessity.

Losing them would probably mean job cuts and puts the salaries of the players at risk.

Mind you, I know Martyn Sadler is keen to lose them perhaps he will compensate the clubs from League Express.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2020 at 14:06, GUBRATS said:

Yes they do , but not like they used to before television and the various other gambling systems , the UK gambling companies do need the racecourses , and are potentially able to sustain them until the current crisis is over 

Again , horse racing exists because of gambling , no gambling , no horseracing 

Gambling is vital to the racing industry - noone has ever doubted that.  How much RL or soccer or RU sponsorship is now from betting companies - so racing isn't the only one perhaps?  My point - as you have accepted - was that in the long-term racing could not survive on betting alone.

Its all moot now anyway - what will survive the shut-down will depend on many factors.  That's as true for racing as it is for Rugby League

Am working from home now (indefinately) and have been listening to the latest episode of the Forty20 podcast. First time i've ever really had a proper listen, and naturally the Covid-19 outbreak and the effects on the game are discussed. As well as where the game goes from here.

Quite enjoying the honesty of the opinions. No party lines being towed.

Well worth a listen.
https://forty20rl.podbean.com/

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Giving up loop fixtures means giving up a large amount of income. The loop fixtures are not there because anyone really prefers to play teams 3 times they are there as a matter of financial necessity.

Losing them would probably mean job cuts and puts the salaries of the players at risk.

Mind you, I know Martyn Sadler is keen to lose them perhaps he will compensate the clubs from League Express.

They're only a "necessity" because clubs base their budgets on zero-growth thinking. 

We should not be encouraging that sort of thinking through the league structure. Doing so only encourages clubs and owners to "sweat the assets" even more until we reach the point where the assets (namely, the players) are burnt out, the product quality diminishes and so, in turn, does the number of people willing to pay for it and the amount they are willing to pay. We are arguably already at that point. 

The clubs should be focused on growth. They should be selling more tickets to the games they have, doing more to attract better sponsors, attracting the right corporate clients and making each matchday and non-matchday more valuable. They shouldn't be simply trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the same small pool of customers and asking more and more of a playing talent that, alongside being asked to play more games, has had real-terms pay-cuts imposed on them for the best part of two decades. 

If clubs aren't growing, that's their issue to solve. But we shouldn't build a product that panders to owners who think that the only way that they can possibly survive is by having more events to sell pints at. The sport needs to get away from this idea of selling more of what people don't want, and towards creating stuff that more people do want. 

• Like 2

With Welsh and Scottish schools now closing and an announcement about England imminent, given that the Scots are talking about not reopening until the Autumn which may well extend across the whole country sport could well be in the same boat meaning that this season (in all sports, not just us) will have to be aborted altogether. Not a happy prospect.

7 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Personally I think in the long term scrapping loop fixtures will be better financially for clubs

Make fixtures more 'special' and increase rarity so that attendances increase overall 

If only S/L clubs would allow 2 more clubs in no more loop games, but they would dilute there share of tv money's. 

Unrealistic to expect a resumption on 3rd April . The England and Wales Cricket Board meeting tomorrow is being done on the basis that the earliest start will be late June.  While Tennis is off officially until 7th June with Wimbledon fortnight now unlikely.

Given the Infection "peak" is now schedled to be May 2020. I would be surprised if any sport got underway prior to June.

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

6 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

They're only a "necessity" because clubs base their budgets on zero-growth thinking. 

We should not be encouraging that sort of thinking through the league structure. Doing so only encourages clubs and owners to "sweat the assets" even more until we reach the point where the assets (namely, the players) are burnt out, the product quality diminishes and so, in turn, does the number of people willing to pay for it and the amount they are willing to pay. We are arguably already at that point. 

The clubs should be focused on growth. They should be selling more tickets to the games they have, doing more to attract better sponsors, attracting the right corporate clients and making each matchday and non-matchday more valuable. They shouldn't be simply trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the same small pool of customers and asking more and more of a playing talent that, alongside being asked to play more games, has had real-terms pay-cuts imposed on them for the best part of two decades. 

If clubs aren't growing, that's their issue to solve. But we shouldn't build a product that panders to owners who think that the only way that they can possibly survive is by having more events to sell pints at. The sport needs to get away from this idea of selling more of what people don't want, and towards creating stuff that more people do want. 

Couldn’t agree more. 5 games with 20000 crowds is better than 20 games with 5K crowds. The thinking seems to be that it’s impossible to attract new people to RL so let’s milk the existing people as much as possible. 

2 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Given the Infection "peak" is now schedled to be May 2020. I would be surprised if any sport got underway prior to June.

If it did resume in June then we could still feasibly fit in the Cup final, the (postponed) Magic Weekend, the Grand Final and the Ashes. Would require ditching more than just loop fixtures, but doable if there’s a collective will to cut-to-fit on an equitable basis. 

I can see the Cup Final going ahead as the comp is sufficiently advanced and the remaining rounds would be used as a pre-season comp. Magic Weekend is gone and so is the Ashes Series.

The Interesting thing is P&R and Toronto Wolfpack given that travel restrictions between the UK and Canada (Now sealed off from the US) may not have eased by then.

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

3 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I can see the Cup Final going ahead as the comp is sufficiently advanced and the remaining rounds would be used as a pre-season comp. Magic Weekend is gone and so is the Ashes Series.

The Interesting thing is P&R and Toronto Wolfpack given that travel restrictions between the UK and Canada (Now sealed off from the US) may not have eased by then.

Toronto could play in the UK (again), couldn’t they? I mean, they all live here anyway.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto could play in the UK (again), couldn’t they? I mean, they all live here anyway.

I think there would be more than a little concern at not allowing any side to play home games though, especially with relegation on the line. 

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there would be more than a little concern at not allowing any side to play home games though, especially with relegation on the line. 

What’s the alternative to playing in the UK...forfeiting fixtures? They may just have to lump it.

Perhaps they could backload Lamport fixtures (again) to allow for a run of home games in Canada when/if circumstances allow? 

we will all be lumping it...the year may well be down the drain so lets worry about keeping everyone healthy

The refusal of this league, to act like one, instead of 12 individuals, never ceases to surprise me.

• Like 1