Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

12 weeks is to (optimistically) turn the tide not get back to anything approaching, never mind actual, normality. Unfortunately the government isn't getting the message across of just how big a pile of poop we're in.

How depressing. 

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

De quoi tu parles?

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

On 23/03/2020 at 14:16, The Great Dane said:

Most of the money went to the clubs and to a lesser extent players, whom demanded more and more of the money, and did everything in their power to get it even when they knew that the NRL couldn't afford it.

Now many of those same club officials and media personalities that were bagging the ARLC and NRL for investments like the future fund and demanded that money be spent on them, are the same people who are bagging the NRL for having "wasted" it all.

Frankly, COVID-19 is quickly turning into the disaster that the NRL had to have. At least a couple clubs are going to die, and it's going to hurt in the short term, but it's going to be a massive reality check for a lot of people, and it'll cut a lot of the dead weight.

I think the Raiders will be fine.

• Like 1

Just been reading this article on the beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52041674

Makes you wonder what the damage is to our sport as a comparison.

Also in addition to this it seems we'll get the next quarterly monies from sky. Source (the sun ?)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11253904/super-league-clubs-set-to-get-sky-money-until-june-but-the-magic-may-be-lost/

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Just been reading this article on the beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52041674

Makes you wonder what the damage is to our sport as a comparison.

Again, our lack of real scale may help us here in that the RFU's expected impact is bigger than the RFL's whole turnover by some distance! 

IF we are going to look for a positive for RL, it is that it happened this year and not next year with the World Cup. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Copa said:

I think the Raiders will be fine.

They were on TV tonight saying they had no money at all and wanted the NRL to bail them out.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

RFL Executives have agreed to take pay cuts it seems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52050151

A number of other staff likely to be furloughed, which is just a posh word for laid off.

No, in the current circumstances it has a very specific meaning as they will still be paid, in large part at least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

No, in the current circumstances it has a very specific meaning as they will still be paid, in large part at least.

A very quick look on Wiki tells me its a common American term for being laid off - pretty much what happens to federal workers when they periodically fail to pass a budget through Congress. Looks like it can be paid or unpaid, hopefully the former of the two based on the government's 80% contribution when that comes through.

6 hours ago, Allora said:

They were on TV tonight saying they had no money at all and wanted the NRL to bail them out.

That surprises me as they have a whole network of licences clubs full of gambling machines plus investments in other industries. The clubs are currently closed but they won’t be forever.

I hope they are ok!

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

A very quick look on Wiki tells me its a common American term for being laid off - pretty much what happens to federal workers when they periodically fail to pass a budget through Congress. Looks like it can be paid or unpaid, hopefully the former of the two based on the government's 80% contribution when that comes through.

Yes, in the UK it's being used as short-hand for the government scheme - you remain employed, and on payroll and paid 80% via your employer but they claim the money back (this week it's been applied to about 2,475 of the 2,500 people in the company I work for).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Not laid off, just hours reduced partially or completely for a set time, at least for federal workers. Usually it means not being paid, but as with the last shutdown it comes with back pay.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Copa said:

That surprises me as they have a whole network of licences clubs full of gambling machines plus investments in other industries. The clubs are currently closed but they won’t be forever.

I hope they are ok!

I think he's talking about Don Furner's press conference yesterday.

The way that Allora is depicting it makes it sound way worse than it is.

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03/26/raiders-ceo-don-furner-addresses-the-media/

Edited by The Great Dane

5 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

I think he's talking about Don Furner's press conference yesterday.

The way that Allora is depicting it makes it sound way worse than it is.

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03/26/raiders-ceo-don-furner-addresses-the-media/

That was the conference I was referring to.

How did my brief one sentence post make it sound worse than it is?

He was asked if the Raiders had any cash reserves and he said they had none at 6:10.

If anything after watching the whole interview it actually does sound worse than I thought.

Not all of the Clubs are going to make IMO.

Andrew Johns has come out and virtually said it would be better if some Clubs die and it becomes a twelve team comp.

Not great timing Joey.

56 minutes ago, Allora said:

That was the conference I was referring to.

How did my brief one sentence post make it sound worse than it is?

He was asked if the Raiders had any cash reserves and he said they had none at 6:10.

If anything after watching the whole interview it actually does sound worse than I thought.

Not all of the Clubs are going to make IMO.

Andrew Johns has come out and virtually said it would be better if some Clubs die and it becomes a twelve team comp.

Not great timing Joey.

You made it sound as if they were worse off than your average NRL club, when they aren't, and that they were begging for money from the NRL, when really Don was just talking about NRL's cash reserves and whether or not, and how much of it, will be split amongst the clubs.

Assuming that things don't get really crazy, the Raiders should come out the other side alright.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

You made it sound as if they were worse off than your average NRL club, when they aren't, and that they were begging for money from the NRL, when really Don was just talking about NRL's cash reserves and whether or not, and how much of it, will be split amongst the clubs.

Assuming that things don't get really crazy, the Raiders should come out the other side alright.

You deduce that from me saying....

"They were on TV tonight saying they had no money at all and wanted the NRL to bail them out"

You said "The way that Allora is depicting it makes it sound way worse than it is."

I never mentioned or compared Canberra to any other NRL Club.

Yes Don was saying Canberra had no money in the Bank but the NRL did and was questioning if they would be getting some help as they will be, like all other NRL Clubs.

You are very different mate.

Edited by Allora

2 hours ago, Allora said:

Not great timing Joey

Ironically all the comments on that article on social media have pointed out that apart from the past 2 years, Newcastle would definitely be in that group.

I do still fear for some clubs though and hopefully this whole saga forces all of them to assess their income streams.

• Like 1

I have seen what Andrew Johns has said.

The timing may not be right but I am afraid that this corona virus will because of the lack of match day income both in Australia and here,clubs probably will fold.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I do still fear for some clubs though and hopefully this whole saga forces all of them to assess their income streams.

There are clubs that make more from the pokies than from rugby. 

• Like 1

Fev put staff and players on Furlough leave. 

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/club-statement-vjEjk

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

15 hours ago, Allora said:

You deduce that from me saying....

"They were on TV tonight saying they had no money at all and wanted the NRL to bail them out"

You said "The way that Allora is depicting it makes it sound way worse than it is."

I never mentioned or compared Canberra to any other NRL Club.

Yes Don was saying Canberra had no money in the Bank but the NRL did and was questioning if they would be getting some help as they will be, like all other NRL Clubs.

You are very different mate.

Jesus mate, chill out.

The way you said it, in the context of replying to Copa’s post, came off as alarmist and made things seem worse than they were.

It’s not a big deal, nobodies attacking you, just relax.

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer has said the current plan is to assess the effectiveness of the lockdown every 3 weeks for the next 6 months to see if it can be relaxed.

If that comes to pass then there's very little chance of the 2020 season being completed. We'll be re-convening in 2021.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I thnk what they are trying to do is to gradually lift some of the more onerous aspects of the lockdown to keep the economy going but if she is to be believed then there is little chance of any large gatherings (over 500 people) before October, that spells curtains for not just the Rugby League season but also :

• The entire Cricket Season
  • Wimbledon Fortnight
  • The remainder of the Premier League Soccer season
  • The remainder of the Rugby Union season
  • The NFL International Series in London at Wembley and White Hart Lane

And remember it's a global pandemic so League will also be impacted by developments in Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

It is an unprecidented situation across all sports, there will unfortunately be lots of casualties within the various sports and Britain's sporting landscape will be forever altered.☹️

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019