Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

National League and Northern Premier League football fixtures going ahead tomorrow, presumably in a move of solidarity with the RFL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Salford v Wigan is the only live sport on Sky Sports tonight! 

At least if anyone who doesn't follow RL tunes in and mentions the size of the crowd we can blame the current climate....

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

At least if anyone who doesn't follow RL tunes in and mentions the size of the crowd we can blame the current climate....

Coronavirus isn't even in the top 10 diseases I'd be worrying about catching in Salford.

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Salford v Wigan is the only live sport on Sky Sports tonight! 

2019 rerun of Peruvian Bogsnorkelling to be shown on Main Event.

18 hours ago, themainbrace said:

but at the same time the situation is easing in China with just 3 new cases today.  They are about 5 to 6 weeks ahead of us on this disease.  To be honest 3k deaths in a country the size of China is nothing.

And they have done it by having pretty much a total shutdown of everything.  In RL terms, that's no games, no training, indoors for days/weeks.  So unless a player has a decent home gym, any conditioning will be shot.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Coronavirus isn't even in the top 10 diseases I'd be worrying about catching in Salford.

2019 rerun of Peruvian Bogsnorkelling to be shown on Main Event.

Not sure someone from Leigh could catch anything!

4 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Most sport in this country is bank rolled by TV contracts. If a sport pulls the plug on games on a voluntary basis, the TV sponsor could argue they are legally entitled to withhold payment as the sport as broken the  contract. Does any one really think sky are going to pour multi millions into anything and get no return ?

SL would then just play the adverse PR card.

Global corporation screwing clubs over corona virus. Doesn't look that good

I think SKY will take a careful approach to be seen to be doing the right thing

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

What do you want the government to do? Have everyone bound to their homes?

I guess if one is serious about containment then yes! 
my point is that it is pointless to partially ban large groups... notoriously schools are the hotbed of infection spread. 

Well if we want to take anything from this awful situation this weekend it's that we have a huge new audience! Living in Wales there is a casual interest from most of my mates, but speaking to many today and looking in my whatsapp group chats it seems ALL eyes are on this game tonight - we'll never have this kind of exposure ever again. Please don't let us down Salford/Wigan! 

I know of course it's down to risk minimising, but how good is it to see the teams running out onto the pitch separately again?

It's one thing I feel has spoilt the game in the last few years.

The atmosphere at grounds used to build just before kick off and then increase when the teams ran out, it's not the same when they both walk out together and stand around for what seems like ages before getting on with it.

Horse Racing is still operating - but it is close to going behind closed doors (already the case in Scotland, Ireland and France).

1 hour ago, Wollongong said:

my point is that it is pointless to partially ban large groups... notoriously schools are the hotbed of infection spread. 

yep, but their is an issue to wrestle with here... in a previous virus outbreak Schools closed ( happen to coincide with summer hols),,,, but when the schools went back the virus in the population exploded again.

Its one of the issues the decision makers are wrestling with - the evidence that show 2nd major peak happened previously if measures taken when the flow of the virus isn't the optimal time to take the measure... . I guess would be easier for them to bow to pressure to stop this being a question... but then those pressuring no have to take the consequences if it causes a 2nd wave/peak in the virus just as the winter comes along when the services are under stretch anyway.

It has to be a hell of a position to have to make these decisions - especially when their will always be many questioning which ever decision they take .

You either put trust in the experts... or take it to the extreme ..chuck them out and bring in another set with different approach.. whose decisions would be questioned.. and so change again...

why don't all the SL teams livestream Playstation 4 competitions on OurLeague following the current schedule and have the results count in the standings..fans could have drinking parties..tide us over until things die down. Just a suggestion???

31 minutes ago, redjonn said:

It has to be a hell of a position to have to make these decisions - especially when their will always be many questioning which ever decision they take

As was once said to me during a difficult period... “that’s why they get paid the big bucks”

7 hours ago, NWDuk said:

Wales - Scotland is off.

The RFL can't be the only organisation not to pull the plug. If everyone is wrong, it'll be better to be wrong as part of the group.

The RFL has to follow everyone else now. 

Not everything is off. Nearly 70 000 people at Cheltenham racecourse today. The RFL should only call things off in accordance with government advice.

For all those incurring financial losses on account of the coronavirus pandemic suggest you collect all documentation and submit statements to the following;

Communist Party of China,

Great Hall of the People,

Tiananmen Square,

Beijing, Peoples Republic of China

att: Xi Jinping, General Secretary

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

Not everything is off. Nearly 70 000 people at Cheltenham racecourse today. The RFL should only call things off in accordance with government advice.

And although the six nations is affected club RU also continuing for now 

Sky News are reporting that restrictions on mass gatherings will be brought in next week.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Sky News are reporting that restrictions on mass gatherings will be brought in next week.  

The government "source" being quoted also said that they would be looking to provide financial aid to affected sports.

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

The government "source" being quoted also said that they would be looking to provide financial aid to affected sports.

We will need it.  Clubs have pretty much zero financial reserves.  

59 minutes ago, Wollongong said:

As was once said to me during a difficult period... “that’s why they get paid the big bucks”

Mmm I get your point..but I'm guessing yours were not the scale of these decisions...

Anyway at least a goodish game tonight to have us hoping any shutdown isn't long

3 hours ago, Wollongong said:

You are right, schools are a hotbed of spreading disease. 

If the schools issue was your point, then perhaps you should have led with that instead of talking about trains to work.

The economy must keep turning. Your livelihood, your pension and 99.99% of your Australian community necessitates it.

• Like 1