Ottawa Aces

silverfox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Both Torronto and Ottawa have attracted investment , unfortunately until we can do the same , we will be playing at this level.

I’m not sure how anyone at this level can attract anything like that level of investment . It’s just completely ridiculous on a playing and competitive level that these franchises are even in this league . It distorts the entire competition . Toronto scored nye on a thousand points and shipped just over a hundred ! Basically it’s a way in and sod the rest of the league 

That's next seasons C1 winners confirmed then. Its not good for Cumbria. If this current league structure  remains we have no choice in Cumbria other than to form one side. Some are dead against the M word but I think our hand is being forced  if we want to compete at a higher level.

I think it's a good thing, it's a league end of the day and if you win more games than anyone else you deserve to go up.

The more the merrier.

It want long ago everyone was  complaining about lack of teams in LG 1.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’m not sure how anyone at this level can attract anything like that level of investment . It’s just completely ridiculous on a playing and competitive level that these franchises are even in this league . It distorts the entire competition . Toronto scored nye on a thousand points and shipped just over a hundred ! Basically it’s a way in and sod the rest of the league 

These two teams obviously have. I'm assuming if we got a millionaire backer who would bankroll our club to success you would be against it ?

5 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

These two teams obviously have. I'm assuming if we got a millionaire backer who would bankroll our club to success you would be against it ?

These two teams aren’t here to be at this level are they ? Where are these multi millionaire backers queuing up to bankroll league one clubs . 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

These two teams aren’t here to be at this level are they ? Where are these multi millionaire backers queuing up to bankroll league one clubs . 

So you would be happy if both clubs were fast tracked into super League ?

9 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

So you would be happy if both clubs were fast tracked into super League ?

Honestly , on a playing level and for the integrity and competitive nature of the league they should be in the championship at least imo . The nature of league one as it is now , with the teams in it , mean parachuting these tooled up  teams into it instantly changes its whole set up . Basically it’s two separate leagues , it’s that distorted. The bigger picture is the role of league one ? What is it for , does it have a future at all ?

Nobody should be fast tracked - there would be  a commotion if they were!

BUT! the problem is once again semi pro players being asked to travel for days overseas.

Imagine if theres more than one North American sides in League 1 as could happen with New York on the horizon as well.

Players holidays might be in short supply as will Wifeys good will

2 minutes ago, Bearintown said:

Nobody should be fast tracked - there would be  a commotion if they were!

BUT! the problem is once again semi pro players being asked to travel for days overseas.

Imagine if theres more than one North American sides in League 1 as could happen with New York on the horizon as well.

Players holidays might be in short supply as will Wifeys good will

Think if you ask any player if they would rather go to Keighley, Coventry or Toronto , New York or Ottawa , I'm pretty sure we know the answer. 

Times are changing and this area needs to wake up and smell the coffee very quickly before the drawbridge is pulled up.

4 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Think it's time super League went alone,and championship clubs should seek there own sponsor and TV deal and maybe change back to winter rugby.just a thought?

Totally agree , with international sides in the mix definitely think there's a fantastic opportunity for a TV deal.

I would back it if they came with there own players instead of a shed load of super league has beens and a top coach, absolutely no incentive to heartland clubs, these lot will be in Super league in 3 years. Only ones happy with this are clubs with big backers, the rest might aswell fold.

6 minutes ago, town4me said:

Having a club  based over 3k miles from the rest of the competition is ridiculous  IMO. Who's paying for clubs to fly over there

Toronto and Ottawa pay all costs , airfares , accommodation and food , they take no funding from the RFL.

Obviously players would need holidays to go.

10 minutes ago, Cumbria RL said:

I would back it if they came with there own players instead of a shed load of super league has beens and a top coach, absolutely no incentive to heartland clubs, these lot will be in Super league in 3 years. Only ones happy with this are clubs with big backers, the rest might aswell fold.

Both us and Haven have taken super League has been for years ! Plus neither club can fill a team with their own players , how do you expect a brand new club to achieve that.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well good luck to them - seems to have worked in football and RU over the years.

Haven't seen any Canadian teams in the football league or Rugby Union. ?

I agree with what Brian McDermott has said. If the game as a whole is to grow and get a wider audience than the north of england. Clubs in major cities are the way forward. They can attract huge investment and attract the biggest stars in the world. 

Sadly, it means ourselves and other traditional teams slip further down the pecking order. Like it or not, we will always be a small fish in an ever expanding pond. But I will always chose to follow town over anyone else. 

Archived