Ottawa Aces

silverfox

2 hours ago, snoopdog said:

Think if you ask any player if they would rather go to Keighley, Coventry or Toronto , New York or Ottawa , I'm pretty sure we know the answer. 

Times are changing and this area needs to wake up and smell the coffee very quickly before the drawbridge is pulled up.

Want to, and able to are worlds apart.

The problem is we may end up with multiple foreign teams in the division and I think the thrill of the trip may wear off rapidly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bearintown said:

Want to, and able to are worlds apart.

The problem is we may end up with multiple foreign teams in the division and I think the thrill of the trip may wear off rapidly

Or maybe it may inspire young lads to take up the game and attract more amateures to sign pro.

11 hours ago, Cumbria RL said:

I would back it if they came with there own players instead of a shed load of super league has beens and a top coach, absolutely no incentive to heartland clubs, these lot will be in Super league in 3 years. Only ones happy with this are clubs with big backers, the rest might aswell fold.

Yeah and by the time they get there Toronto will probably have gone to the wall.

Despite throwing big money at it they are well off the mark and will be relegated this season.

Without the Structures that Super League teams have in place such as Academies and Juniors they will never compete at the highest level or develop their own players.

This is the one big thing I like about Chris Thorman's vision for our club that we need to attract and keep the Cumbrian Youngsters in Cumbria and to help achieve this we need the new Stadium sooner rather than later.

Regardless of anything else i can`t see the benefit of a team from Canada i.e. Toronto gaining promotion to Super League and then playing only Half a dozen matches on their own pitch .What is that achieving ?  If you were a Wigan/Saints/Leeds fan etc. how would you as a supporter feel if you only got to see your Team play in the flesh 6 times a season !

20 minutes ago, Cumbria RL said:

Not in our county it won’t Cumbria Youth is at a all time low, Cumbria is been massively failed at grass roots level.

Only at the older age groups look at mini mods to under 12 they are attracting great numbers

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

52 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

Only at the older age groups look at mini mods to under 12 they are attracting great numbers

So we should have a crop of  semi pros in the not to distant future . However I wonder how much of it will be harvested  by the M62 corridor.

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Regardless of anything else i can`t see the benefit of a team from Canada i.e. Toronto gaining promotion to Super League and then playing only Half a dozen matches on their own pitch .What is that achieving ?  If you were a Wigan/Saints/Leeds fan etc. how would you as a supporter feel if you only got to see your Team play in the flesh 6 times a season !

The benefit is that they bring more money/sponsors and viewers to the sport than most 'heartland' clubs. For example, Sonny Bill has 80m followers on his social media. Even if 10% then go on and watch their 1st league match. That's 8m more viewers than the sport once had. Then if only 10% of that figure stay fans of the sport for good. That's another 800k people regularly paying to attend games, go to finals, buy merchandise etc. The more regular viewers etc, the more money the sponsors are willing to pay and the more central funding will be available to the likes of us. 

Or that's the way I see it anyway

2 hours ago, Cumbria RL said:

Not in our county it won’t Cumbria Youth is at a all time low, Cumbria is been massively failed at grass roots level.

And you base that statement on what exactly,I'd say the youth of today would be more inspired by the chance of playing sport in Canada/France/US than Batley,Keighley,Barrow etc.

2 hours ago, gillmeister said:

Defiantly Gilly, but our other big  problem that the local leagues are  facing now are the rfl, every single team have to have a GDM, first aider, team manager and coach for every fixture, and all of these roles have to be undertaken by a single individual, no individual can take on 2 roles, people may say, its only 4 people,  but anyone who is involved with youth rugby will realise how hard it is to get volunteers, but then you have to get these volunteers to undertake a first aid, GDM and child protection courses, about £110 for each individual, then its the coach, his own course will be £210 for level 2, plus other bits required to complete the course £80,  every team from under 6 through to open age must have these individuals at every game, the grassroots clubs are being treated like professional clubs who have paid employees who undertake these posts, maybe the Yorkshire/Lancashire clubs can attract these volunteers, but we in Cumbria haven't got the volume of people that they can attract.

Not sure what if any is the way forward for amateur rugby league in Cumbria.

17 hours ago, snoopdog said:

Think if you ask any player if they would rather go to Keighley, Coventry or Toronto , New York or Ottawa , I'm pretty sure we know the answer. 

I'm not sure about that, have you ever flown across the Atlantic? Its a nightmare and last thing i would want to do on arrival is play RL. Wouldn't be much time for sightseeing either.

1 hour ago, DocH said:

I'm not sure about that, have you ever flown across the Atlantic? Its a nightmare and last thing i would want to do on arrival is play RL. Wouldn't be much time for sightseeing either.

A lot of players have been unable to play because of visa restrictions, think both barrow and Haven had problems when they went to Canada 

10 hours ago, gillmeister said:

No u12 league this year, you can name teams who a gonna win 13s14s Seaton, Brow won’t play Kells or Hensingham at 16s hence why they have gone to North East. We all know who runs the youth in Cumbria but no noise comes from them. Someone needs to take the lead amateur or Pro, a Cumbrian based super league club is the only answer.

41 minutes ago, Cumbria RL said:

a Cumbrian based super league club is the only answer.

Probably have to start at C1 like the rest. Could defo see it moving to championship level but would need an investor to go further

1 hour ago, Cumbria RL said:

No u12 league this year, you can name teams who a gonna win 13s14s Seaton, Brow won’t play Kells or Hensingham at 16s hence why they have gone to North East. We all know who runs the youth in Cumbria but no noise comes from them. Someone needs to take the lead amateur or Pro, a Cumbrian based super league club is the only answer.

The under 12 has a load of teams about 14 in the county cup which is great. I’d argue that the game inflicts more damage when clubs pillage others to make super teams in the process taking away your own competition 

18 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

The under 12 has a load of teams about 14 in the county cup which is great. I’d argue that the game inflicts more damage when clubs pillage others to make super teams in the process taking away your own competition 

Serious question, why is there no 12s league, Kells we’re asked to join the 16s Cumbria cup but declined as if there’s no league how can they have a cup!

3 minutes ago, Cumbria RL said:

Serious question, why is there no 12s league, Kells we’re asked to join the 16s Cumbria cup but declined as if there’s no league how can they have a cup!

There is a 12s league?? 
it’s a shame there won’t be a Barla cumbria cup the lack of a west cumbria youth league shouldn’t be a barrier to a cup for all teams from the west and south of the county 

9 hours ago, gillmeister said:

There is a 12s league?? 
it’s a shame there won’t be a Barla cumbria cup the lack of a west cumbria youth league shouldn’t be a barrier to a cup for all teams from the west and south of the county 

Sorry got my wires crossed ??

5 hours ago, DocH said:

Why the confusion Dav05? Happy to discuss with you? Have you ever flown across the Atlantic?

Not everyone has the same reaction to flying and any issues with jet lag - depends if they got their food, drink and sleep right on the journey, as well as before the flight, and when they land.

Doesn't help though, with part time players, some may have been at work right up to leaving for the flight

Last year some of the fight schedules weren't kind to the incoming players - as they had to fly on the Toronto's sponsors flights

From what I've experienced and read its the return back that has the greatest impact

Rugby league is an north of England game simple, let's not try and make are great game something what it's not,let's build and support are local clubs with new stadiums,and new sponsorship,if Canada and USA want a league great we will put a world club challenge at the end of the English season,like we do with the world club challenge with the Aussie league leaders.

Archived