The Quality of Super League this year

Over the years I have not always been able to watch as many Super League games as I would have liked.

Last year and this year I have subscribed to a pay for view service and have been watching at least a couple of matches a week and then

looking at game highlights on Youtube and other formats.

With a couple of exceptions most of the games have been great viewing with some close scores that have gone down to the wire.

There have been great tries scored all over the Park and not only by the usual strong teams.

It has been entertaining and a breathe of fresh air for the start of the season, I hope it keeps going for the rest of the year.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Agreed it’s been great so far. An increase in the salary cap might improve things further too, as fewer players might leave to join the NRL and we could attract better players from them too (for the clubs who can afford it). 

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed it’s been great so far. An increase in the salary cap might improve things further too, as fewer players might leave to join the NRL and we could attract better players from them too (for the clubs who can afford it). 

No way fewer players will leave to join the NRL, their salary cap now blows ours out the water, more so than ever before.

The marquee player rule has helped us get some world class players back in Super League. I would like to see this doubled from 2 per club to 4 per club, with a slight reduction in the amount that counts against the cap.

EC20695D-3317-46FA-ACDD-E980829B57C8.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No way fewer players will leave to join the NRL, their salary cap now blows ours out the water, more so than ever before.

The marquee player rule has helped us get some world class players back in Super League. I would like to see this doubled from 2 per club to 4 per club, with a slight reduction in the amount that counts against the cap.

Well ok, I meant clubs being able to pay more and attract better players rather than specifically the non-marquee salary cap, but agreed your way would be superb. We might get some good players moving over from Union too, like in the good old days. 

On 10/03/2020 at 08:23, Eddie said:

You know there's only 9 established English players in the NRL, right? Compared to upwards of 70 former NRL players in SL. 

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You know there's only 9 established English players in the NRL, right? Compared to upwards of 70 former NRL players in SL. 

That’s not a surprise, considering how many players they have compared to us. 

My point is though, that if our clubs could pay more, some of those 9 might not have gone there and we might have had 70 better players from Australia playing here. And we could have also attracted some quality Union players. 

15 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

But how many players in the NRL have played in Super League? 

It isn’t only English Super League players that can be lured to the NRL, Australian, New Zealand, Tongan and Samoan Super League players can too. They all contribute to the standard of the competition.

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s not a surprise, considering how many players they have compared to us. 

My point is though, that if our clubs could pay more, some of those 9 might not have gone there and we might have had 70 better players from Australia playing here. And we could have also attracted some quality Union players. 

Flooding our comp with 'better' NRL players does nothing to develop British players. That's where our focus should be. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

But how many players in the NRL have played in Super League? 

It isn’t only English Super League players that can be lured to the NRL, Australian, New Zealand, Tongan and Samoan Super League players can too. They all contribute to the standard of the competition.

I don't know the number but significantly less I would suggest. 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Flooding our comp with 'better' NRL players does nothing to develop British players. That's where our focus should be. 

So basically you think SL should be a closed shop for just English players? Don’t you think playing with people like Blake Austin etc improves our players at all?

45 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So basically you think SL should be a closed shop for just English players? Don’t you think playing with people like Blake Austin etc improves our players at all?

No not a closed shop but a better balance than we have currently and it would get worse if we massively increase the cap. Clubs/SL should be focusing more on improving the quality of the players they produce (starting right at grassroots) rather than bumping the cap to pay players coming from abroad. Isn't this what we're hoping the North American model will be in time? We need to be doing it more ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That depends on the structures we have in place around that.

With the quota there is a limit to the number of overseas players. Once that is hit then it's a case of one in one out. 

I've said before my preference is a points system with the 'kolpak stiffs' counting the most, then experienced nrl players, then internationals, then british players to ensure that the ones we do bring in are ones that improve the league not the ones who take the place of a young player. 

I agree with that. My worry would be cap increase = quota increase. 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

This is a myth. Most players in Super League and the Championship are English.  If we signed no “NRL” players the standard of the competition would be significantly lower, playing in a lower quality competition would do nothing to develop players here and would actually be detrimental to British players development.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is a myth. Most players in Super League and the Championship are English.  If we signed no “NRL” players the standard of the competition would be significantly lower, playing in a lower quality competition would do nothing to develop players here and would actually be detrimental to British players development.

It's not a myth at all. You're just looking at NRL players as contributors to playing standards and development. I'm suggesting putting more money into actual player development is what does both. 

It's not a myth at all. You're just looking at NRL players as contributors to playing standards and development. I'm suggesting putting more money into actual player development is what does both. 

Where would that money come from though? If we removed foreign players the standard of SL would drop, attendances and viewing figures and therefore income would go down. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Where would that money come from though? If we removed foreign players the standard of SL would drop, attendances and viewing figures and therefore income would go down. 

I already said it's about balance - I never said remove all former NRL players. But it's very shortsighted to think that increasing the cap is the solution to improving SL. 'Give a man a fish.....etc' springs to mind. 

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't think I have ever seen an England Knights squad with the range and depth of promise that the current one has.

When I looked through the names I was astonished at how many good, young players are out there.

People called Romans they go the house

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I agree with that. My worry would be cap increase = quota increase. 

That would 100% be the case. If the cap doubles and they don't introduce more quota spots then all that will happen is all the current players salaries would double. That doesn't increase the playing standard!

I already said it's about balance - I never said remove all former NRL players. But it's very shortsighted to think that increasing the cap is the solution to improving SL. 'Give a man a fish.....etc' springs to mind. 

I know what you’re saying, and yes agreed there needs to be a balance. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

There already is a balance, the number of overseas players clubs can have is limited 

Archived