The Quality of Super League this year

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There already is a balance, the number of overseas players clubs can have is limited 

Sure, but you've probably read mine and others feeling that should the cap be increased then actually we'll just see the quota increased too. That would be bad for development of homegrown players IMO. If clubs have money that they are saying would be used should the cap be increased then why aren't they plowing that into other elements of club infrastructure, including player development? It's not just on the field and cap wise that SL is miles behind the NRL so until a lot of that is addressed we shouldn't be increasing it. Again just my opinion. 

Is the role of Super League to develop English talent? Seeing a bunch of reserve-graders running around the pitch in the name of player development does nothing to sell the sport. The international calibre players will always rise to the top regardless of how many overseas guys are playing. There simply aren't enough professional RL players in the world to completely flood SL and block English talent. The French Elite One is almost entirely French players and that has done nothing to improve their national team, they are just playing in mediocre isolation.

9 minutes ago, eal said:

Is the role of Super League to develop English talent?

It's the job of it's participating teams yes - who else's job would it be? 

10 minutes ago, eal said:

The French Elite One is almost entirely French players and that has done nothing to improve their national team, they are just playing in mediocre isolation.

So you think if they had some better calibre southern hemisphere players round them that would help them improve? How exactly? Maybe coaching wise but I'm unconvinced players themselves have much of an impact. I'd suggest if the French game had more money they'd be better served putting it into schemes to increase player participation, establishing academies and improving coaching standards. That is what will grow the game there. 

What will grow the game long term with fans and future players is having a competition with high quality players and high standards in addition to grass-roots efforts. Reducing an entire league into mediocrity for the sake of a national team which plays three games per year is pointless. The young local talent will flow through the game regardless of the number of Australian stars in SL so we may as well have something decent to watch.

17 minutes ago, eal said:

What will grow the game long term with fans and future players is having a competition with high quality players and high standards

We already have that - is it growing the game? 

17 minutes ago, eal said:

Reducing an entire league into mediocrity for the sake of a national team which plays three games per year is pointless

That was never the point

18 minutes ago, eal said:

The young local talent will flow through the game regardless of the number of Australian stars in SL

It does - but that flow could be a lot stronger and better in numbers if any future increased club spending was focused more on developing and widening the player pool rather then increasing the cap to recruit contractors externally. The latter is never a good long term plan. 

On 11/03/2020 at 10:01, hunsletgreenandgold said:

No not a closed shop but a better balance than we have currently and it would get worse if we massively increase the cap. Clubs/SL should be focusing more on improving the quality of the players they produce (starting right at grassroots) rather than bumping the cap to pay players coming from abroad. Isn't this what we're hoping the North American model will be in time? We need to be doing it more ourselves. 

History shows that the clubs that would be able to afford these extra marquee players are the ones that make a disproportionate contribution to the elite player pool in the first place. 

Leeds have been criticised for relying on overseas players lately but some of the biggest performers this season have been home-grown academy graduates. 

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

And then the NRL starts with a closely fought 8-2 and it makes me worry SL will go back to looking very ordinary. 

Just the opposite.

It was a dour arm wrestle that was not the best game to open the Season with.

Good for my team to get a win but there was plenty of Rust that needs to be cleaned up.

Another week or two and we will see teams hit their form and look slick. 

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

7 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

And then the NRL starts with a closely fought 8-2 and it makes me worry SL will go back to looking very ordinary. 

I thought it was a poor error ridden game to be honest.

1 hour ago, Willforminis said:

If the Hullfc Wire game is the standard I'll stick to the championship.

Yeah theres obviously gonna be dud games but generally I've really enjoyed the games so far, unpredictable and no shortage of skill on show.  Literally been watching every televised game I can get my hands on and the our league app games too.

13 hours ago, Allora said:

Just the opposite.

It was a dour arm wrestle that was not the best game to open the Season with.

Good for my team to get a win but there was plenty of Rust that needs to be cleaned up.

Another week or two and we will see teams hit their form and look slick. 

It was a borefest and I'm being generous.

Game like this this put people off the game.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

It was a borefest and I'm being generous.

Game like this this put people off the game.

In fairness it was the first game of the season and teams are not going to start with everything just clicking straight away.

There was a lot of dropped ball.

Canterbury are well known to play that style of football at times, with the week they have had in the media they probably in siege mode mentality.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived