New York Rugby league launch in Liverpool

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I have to say I'm a tad concerned about this project and it's chances of success. New York like London is a very competitive city in terms of entertainment and things to do. If you don't do things right with a sporting venture in these type of cities it could go pear shaped very quickly. 

In the U.S it would've been better to start in a city like Boston or Philadelphia. With a city like New York you have to create the demand first before you really go into a competitive city like New York, London or Paris 

Boston? Do you know anything about Boston sports? 

Anyway from your comments you obviously know all about setting up new sports teams in North America, why not give the consortium a call, I’m sure they’d take heed of your advice and stop this ridiculous attempt to grow the game immediately. Keep it along the M62 I say. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The negativity on this forum is astounding, and depressing also. We all love rugby league and want to see it thrive, and here are a group of people willing to put valuable time and money into growing the game and all a lot of you can do is deride and pick holes in it. Correct me if I’m wrong but none of you have ever set up an extension team so why try to belittle other people’s attempts to do it. 

Ok this project might fail, which is fine, at least they’ll have given it a go. 

24 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Quite. New York had a marketing man for a kit maker, a marketing man from Liverpool City Council (not sure why) and somebody from something called USA Sports Online (no idea what that is).

Ottawa had the Ontario sports minister, the chair of the RFL and the British High Commissioner to Canada.

I’m skeptical whether the RFL will green-light New York.

I find it odd there was not one person from the RFL at the NYC press conference and they gave no solid details it was a bunch of we would like to etc.

Just now, Eddie said:

The negativity on this forum is astounding, and depressing also. We all love rugby league and want to see it thrive, and here are a group of people willing to put valuable time and money into growing the game and all a lot of you can do is deride and pick holes in it. Correct me if I’m wrong but none of you have ever set up an extension team so why try to belittle other people’s attempts to do it. 

I follow many league and to see a group take this route which the NYC is taking is rare and many times it doe snot work out well.

3 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I find it odd there was not one person from the RFL at the NYC press conference and they gave no solid details it was a bunch of we would like to etc.

‘Cos the RFL haven’t approved their entry into the league. It was a sales pitch.

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

As stated previously I have worked with Wilby in the past and he was chancer then. May be the time that has past may change things. I doubt it. However.... 

I feel a lng term plan shud see Perez as North American RL Chairman. 2 to 3 more Teams over the next 7 to 8 years and we cud be getting somewhere.

Well he's done a seemingly good job of getting backers to part with their money..........

Question is, which is more pie in the sky - New York or Valencia?

Anyway, i'm not really bothered debating about the what ifs..............if they're footing the bill, it will bring exposure and 'eyeballs' (as Noble loves to say) so even if the longevity is short, there should be some benefit

NFL = Giants & Jets (American Football)

MLB = Yankees & Mets (Baseball)

NBA = Knicks & Nets (Basketball)

NHL = Rangers, Islanders & Devils (Ice Hockey)

MLS = Red Bulls & NYC FC (Football)

(11 Massive Major League Teams in the NY Metro Area + New York City Marathon & US Tennis Open.)

This particular RL Project is biting off a bit more than it can chew. 

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

NFL = Giants & Jets (American Football)

MLB = Yankees & Mets (Baseball)

NBA = Knicks & Nets (Basketball)

NHL = Rangers, Islanders & Devils (Ice Hockey)

MLS = Red Bulls & NYC FC (Football)

(11 Massive Major League Teams in the NY Metro Area + New York City Marathon & US Tennis Open.)

This particular RL Project is biting off a bit more than it can chew. 

Do you think the same about the Broncos and Skolars? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

NYC just doesn’t seem to have the feel of Ottawa and Toronto. It’s a guy from Huddersfield who wants and team in New York but no one in NY knows anything about it

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think the same about the Broncos and Skolars? 

London has 10 Big Football Teams (5 Premier League & 5 Championship) 

2 Famous Cricket Clubs. 

2 well established Premiership Union teams. 

The Wimbledon Championships in Tennis & the London Marathon.

Considering the massive & total lack of interest in the Broncos (in the last 40 years and the Skolars (in the last 25 years.....

Yes, i think the same. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

London has 10 Big Football Teams (5 Premier League & 5 Championship) 

2 Famous Cricket Clubs. 

2 well established Premiership Union teams. 

The Wimbledon Championships in Tennis & the London Marathon.

Considering the massive & total lack of interest in the Broncos (in the last 40 years and the Skolars (in the last 25 years.....

Yes, i think the same. 

So do you think the owners, fans etc of those two London clubs should just give up?

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

NYC just doesn’t seem to have the feel of Ottawa and Toronto. It’s a guy from Huddersfield who wants and team in New York but no one in NY knows anything about it

Why would they know anything about it yet? It’s a minority sport in every country bar Australia and PNG and the team hasn’t started playing. 

1 minute ago, burnleywelsh said:

Therefore, you must be of the same opinion that the backers/promoters of NYCRL should not give up........No ???

Good question. I think the RFL now has the required number of Clubs for the 12-14-12 structure, so NYC RL should have to buy an existing Club & relocate it or wait for the next club to be kicked out of RFL membership through an insolvency event. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Good question. I think the RFL now has the required number of Clubs for the 12-14-12 structure, so NYC RL should have to buy an existing Club & relocate it or wait for the next club to be kicked out of RFL membership through an insolvency event. 

Thanks for recognising a good question........how about an answer? Do you think that NYCRL should give up because in your words, “They have bitten off more than they can chew”. Just like the London clubs. I’m glad that you think that Broncos and Skolars should carry on. What about New York?

8 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Thanks for recognising a good question........how about an answer? Do you think that NYCRL should give up because in your words, “They have bitten off more than they can chew”. Just like the London clubs. I’m glad that you think that Broncos and Skolars should carry on. What about New York?

They shouldn't give up. We should sanction a Club in NYC to confront Rugby United New York & upset Yawnion. 

Archived