New York Rugby league launch in Liverpool

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Quite. New York had a marketing man for a kit maker, a marketing man from Liverpool City Council (not sure why) and somebody from something called USA Sports Online (no idea what that is).

Ottawa had the Ontario sports minister, the chair of the RFL and the British High Commissioner to Canada.

I’m skeptical whether the RFL will green-light New York.

The other guys are in on the merchandise sales, which is all that this "project" is about.

Anybody who believes that RW and co are going to spend a few million and have a squad of professionals capable of competing with NRL clubs in 12 months time and have them jetting around playing 20 - 30 friendlies (against whom??) needs to seek help.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we'll find out over the next month or two how serious the NYC side is...

The launch next Monday in New York will be significant, and will provide a lot of insight into how seriously are they looking to crack the US market and engage audiences on that side of the Atlantic, as will the supposed coach announcement in the first week of April.

The fact the RFL is flying the Challenge Cup over and will do the sixth round draw (https://www.rugby-league.com/challengecup/article/56500/new-york-to-stage-coral-challenge-cup-sixth-round-draw) from New York, makes me feel like this is more than just a 'token bid' to join L1 or just sell merchandise.    I mean there are far less expensive ways doing this, and really how much money is there in jersey's and other apparel for a team that doesn't exist?

Anyway, hopefully we will start to get some of our questions answered soon.  

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

The other guys are in on the merchandise sales, which is all that this "project" is about.

Anybody who believes that RW and co are going to spend a few million and have a squad of professionals capable of competing with NRL clubs in 12 months time and have them jetting around playing 20 - 30 friendlies (against whom??) needs to seek help.

They haven’t said they’re going to be competing with NRL clubs in 12 months time. 

8 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Good question. I think the RFL now has the required number of Clubs for the 12-14-12 structure, so NYC RL should have to buy an existing Club & relocate it or wait for the next club to be kicked out of RFL membership through an insolvency event. 

Why do you think 12 is the optimum number of clubs in League One? Expanding it to 14 would be better, especially if it included a high profile club like New York - who let’s face it have brought more national attention to the game in one day than the entire other league one clubs have in the last 10 years. 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why would they know anything about it yet? It’s a minority sport in every country bar Australia and PNG and the team hasn’t started playing. 

Well unlike Toronto and Ottawa it’s not being founded by a Canadian/American and they haven’t launched it in NYC in front of the NY press ect

6 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Well unlike Toronto and Ottawa it’s not being founded by a Canadian/American and they haven’t launched it in NYC in front of the NY press ect

Why should they have done that at this point? It makes sense to have a launch in the UK first.

I thought Liverpool was an odd choice as it’s not a RL city in any way, but there are at least good transport links and facilities and it’s very close to the Heartlands. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why do you think 12 is the optimum number of clubs in League One? Expanding it to 14 would be better, especially if it included a high profile club like New York - who let’s face it have brought more national attention to the game in one day than the entire other league one clubs have in the last 10 years. 

They decided on a structure. They should stick to it. 

Screenshot_20200311-091346_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They decided on a structure. They should stick to it. 

Screenshot_20200311-091346_Samsung Internet.jpg

That structure was before these teams wanted to join though. Anyway if they absolutely have to stick to it they should kick WWR out in favour of NY, not that I’d like to see WWR kicked out but NY will be a lot more valuable to the competition, and the game in general. 

Just now, Eddie said:

That structure was before these teams wanted to join though. Anyway if they absolutely have to stick to it they should kick WWR out in favour of NY, not that I’d like to see WWR kicked out but NY will be a lot more valuable to the competition, and the game in general. 

Can only kick em out if they are regularly failing to fulfil their fixtures without dispensation, or they go bust. 

Should follow the Perez example, buy them out & relocate. 

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Can only kick em out if they are regularly failing to fulfil their fixtures without dispensation, or they go bust. 

Should follow the Perez example, buy them out & relocate. 

What value do you think WWR are bringing to L1, with their one win in however many seasons, compared to what NY could bring? 

20 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Compete - "Take part in a contest."

Ricky Wilby - "We WILL be playing 3 NRL teams next February".

I am looking for a conflict but cannot see it...

That’s a bit pedantic, playing friendlies against NRL reserve grade teams is completely different to competing with NRL teams. 

12 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Some subconscious projection there I think...there are a few about though.

The eagerness to believe is reminiscent of a religious sect at times.

On the contrary, some people are just open to new ideas and not desperate to deride and shut them down because they’re scared of change. 

Having watched the press conference I think that Wilby appears to be the typical used car salesman, I’m not saying NY couldn’t be successful but I suspect not with this set up. And as for NY replacing West Wales I don’t know, after all West Wales do seem to be making an effort to promote RL to juniors in a very hostile part of the world whereas we have no idea what Ricky & co plan to do, and if we did are we confident they could do it?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Have to agree with Carney. If Ricky Wilby’s New York plan was imagined up and posted on here it would get slaughtered. Too outlandish even for this place.

The Sky Sports article says this;

Carney was similarly sceptical about Toronto Wolfpack when their entry into the British set-up was first proposed but admits he has since revaluated his views following the club's rapid ascent to Super League just three seasons after joining League One.

So it’s odd that he hasn’t learned to wait and see what happens before voicing his opinion. 

Archived