New York Rugby league launch in Liverpool

Any new venture these days needs a 'mouth' to sell it. Anyone with half a clue seems to see right through it but the money men seem to lap it up. I don't see it as a reason to think it will fail but I don't believe a word of it either.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Eddie said:

That structure was before these teams wanted to join though. Anyway if they absolutely have to stick to it they should kick WWR out in favour of NY, not that I’d like to see WWR kicked out but NY will be a lot more valuable to the competition, and the game in general. 

How do you work that out?

Players from Wales/who represent Wales,are playing in Super League.Coaches are trained in Wales.Match officials come from Wales.The same cannot be said of New York.

There is also the slight problem  of finance for League 1 clubs post 2021 as the elite owners of Super League clubs do not wish to lose any funding to the hoi polloi.

I'm struggling to see either the sense ,or viability,for an Ottawa based club,or the as yet unrevealed money men backing New York,to throw money down the toilet in an ever-decreasing sport,and one which may very well be,as far as League 1 is concerned,returned to the amateur ranks after 2021.

Do you also expect New York to buy out West Wales Raiders as Ottawa did with Hemel Stags?  

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

If they are going to play at Hofstra University, it is 1 hour 50 minutes from Manhattan. Can't see many supporters from most places in NYC if that is correct!

29 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Players from Wales/who represent Wales,are playing in Super League.Coaches are trained in Wales.Match officials come from Wales.The same cannot be said of New York.

There is also the slight problem  of finance for League 1 clubs post 2021 as the elite owners of Super League clubs do not wish to lose any funding to the hoi polloi.

I'm struggling to see either the sense ,or viability,for an Ottawa based club,or the as yet unrevealed money men backing New York,to throw money down the toilet in an ever-decreasing sport,and one which may very well be,as far as League 1 is concerned,returned to the amateur ranks after 2021.

Do you also expect New York to buy out West Wales Raiders as Ottawa did with Hemel Stags?  

Sense Toronto has done well its a good sign Ottawa will do well however NYC that is more of a question.

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

No why on earth would NY buy WWR out?

I was also talking about WWR specifically rather than Welsh rugby. Losing every game, tiny crowds - surely NY would be more of an asset to L1 than them, certainly in terms of interest, sponsorship etc. Not many if any of the Welsh players and coaches that you mention have come through the WWR set up  

For the record I’d hate to see WWR chucked out, but for some reason the chap above said NY shouldn’t be allowed to enter unless another team are removed - so I picked my team.

1 hour ago, bazzzz65 said:

If they are going to play at Hofstra University, it is 1 hour 50 minutes from Manhattan. Can't see many supporters from most places in NYC if that is correct!

What about the area around Hofstra University? I don’t think anyone thinks people will descend on the ground from all over the NY Conurbation. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

No why on earth would NY buy WWR out?

I was also talking about WWR specifically rather than Welsh rugby. Losing every game, tiny crowds - surely NY would be more of an asset to L1 than them, certainly in terms of interest, sponsorship etc. Not many if any of the Welsh players and coaches that you mention have come through the WWR set up  

For the record I’d hate to see WWR chucked out, but for some reason the chap above said NY shouldn’t be allowed to enter unless another team are removed - so I picked my team.

Because Ottawa purchased the licence from Hemel to gain their place in League 1.

I hope this link reports that - https://www.rlnews.co.uk/photos-heres-where-ottawa-will-play-home-games-in-2020/

5 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Because Ottawa purchased the licence from Hemel to gain their place in League 1.

I hope this link reports that - https://www.rlnews.co.uk/photos-heres-where-ottawa-will-play-home-games-in-2020/

I know they did but Hemel were already out of L1 and not using their licence, it was basically them giving their licence to someone who wanted it. 

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

There was reference to brand. What is the brand?

Yeah I’m surprised they’re still using that logo and haven’t added a nickname. The obvious choice would to be called New York Liberty with the Statue of Liberty on the crest and play in green. Now there you have a brand

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Sky Sports article says this;

Carney was similarly sceptical about Toronto Wolfpack when their entry into the British set-up was first proposed but admits he has since revaluated his views following the club's rapid ascent to Super League just three seasons after joining League One.

So it’s odd that he hasn’t learned to wait and see what happens before voicing his opinion. 

Well if it's good enough for the President of the United States...

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

I know they did but Hemel were already out of L1 and not using their licence, it was basically them giving their licence to someone who wanted it. 

No, Perez et al bought Hemel, the L1 entity, while it was still a L1 entity. It was Perez who took the decision to then pull the Hemel team out of L1 in advance of moving it to Ottawa, which was intended to happen for this season. (The community club continues in the Southern Conference.)

21 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

No, Perez et al bought Hemel, the L1 entity, while it was still a L1 entity. It was Perez who took the decision to then pull the Hemel team out of L1 in advance of moving it to Ottawa, which was intended to happen for this season. (The community club continues in the Southern Conference.)

Fair enough, I didn’t know that. 

29 minutes ago, North but south said:

Because it's not true. Hemel withdrew from league 1 in October 2018, Perez involvement didn't begin until march 2019

Well that's not what Eric says - in his interviews he has clearly said it was his decision after buying the club to pull the Hemel team out of that 2019 season because he didn't see any point in the L1 team playing when he was moving the license to Ottawa. But listen, I wasn't there, I'm only quoting what he said, so if you know better, I'm happy to bow to your knowledge!

It looks like West Wales Raiders were very much on the radar of Ottawa before the purchase of Hemel Stags.

I wonder who will be bought by New York to take up a position in League 1.

It would probably be nice,but not expected in rugby league,that supporters and sponsors could be kept in the loop.

https://www.townandcountrytoday.com/national-sports/former-wolfpack-ceo-eric-perez-details-his-rugby-league-road-to-ottawa-2147327

57 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It looks like West Wales Raiders were very much on the radar of Ottawa before the purchase of Hemel Stags.

I wonder who will be bought by New York to take up a position in League 1.

It would probably be nice,but not expected in rugby league,that supporters and sponsors could be kept in the loop.

https://www.townandcountrytoday.com/national-sports/former-wolfpack-ceo-eric-perez-details-his-rugby-league-road-to-ottawa-2147327

I wonder if it may be London Skolars. This isn’t any “in the know” type information but they’ve made it pretty clear in the off-season that they’re looking for investment and have looked abroad for such investment. With one of their high up people being elderly, I’m sure I read he was in his 80’s, and the other looking to reduce his investment, I wonder if a large deal would sway them to do so. 

Unless money is pulled out at WWR or Coventry, I don’t think it will be them. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/brian-carney-questions-bold-new-york-plans-for-2021/

Brian Carney

Your mate, my mate.

Shark bait!

image.png.b642560a035a9fc623eabe94494cce1c.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived