Hotel and where to stay

Last Sunday night I stayed in the Weatherspoon's hotel in Barrow. "The Furness Railway" ( 3 minute walk to the Railway Station and another  3 minutes to the Rugby Ground.

My first stay at a 'Spoons.The staff cannot have been more welcoming and the room was excellent. Sunday night was £39 and a breakfast was £5.40. 

They say that they have been voted joint hotel chain along with the Premier Inn.

I would stay there again.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I've stayed in the same hotel and can confirm it was extremely good value and I would stay there again if I had to be in Barrow. The only downside...it's in Barrow.

Behave. Is there a finer aeronautical display at half time anywhere in the country?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

15 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Behave. Is there a finer aeronautical display at half time anywhere in the country?

I was visiting BAe systems so only got to see half a trident submarine being transported along the road. 

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

I was visiting BAe systems so only got to see half a trident submarine being transported along the road. 

Ultra stealth technology. Guaranteed that no other sub will detect it. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

37 minutes ago, Shadow said:

It was strangely very big and very small at the same time 

Submariners are very, very strange people to tolerate those conditions for that long. And the Trident subs are the most spacious ones we have. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Have stayed at 'Spoons in Barrow, Birmingham and Malvern

The Birmingham one was necessary as I couldn't get any further north after travelling by train from south of Bordeaux. It was on a street with quite a few pubs and noisy.

The Malvern one was much better

For all I dislike his politics, I do like the buildings they use as pubs and tend to have quite a bit of interesting information about the building and its uses over time. Would stay again

15 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I never go in Weatherspoons. It's full of common types like Shadow.

??

To be fair, I am normally outside in my trackie bottoms and flip flops smoking a rollie 

52 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Left side?

It would be!

30 or so years ago, in the Vickers days, they used to build a 1/4 size maquette ..in effect, a giant Airfix model. Pioneers in 2D CAD, they also had one of the country's largest Computervision CADDS4 systems. Now it's all full 3D PLM and no more maquettes. Makes you feel good, doesn't it.

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Weatherspoons in Keighley

"this site was bought by the Keighley Temperance Society for their Temperance Institute. The Trustees sold the building in 1982." 

It's an impressive building. Around the side of the building from the main drag, Skipton Road, there is the Temperance Society name etc carved in stone. The sights I saw outside Wetherspoons for a few years travelling to work on a Saturday morning were enough to make me believe in temperance.

As I understand it, Wetherspoons originally operated on a common theme ... real ale at resonable prices in nice surroundings with no music. It's interesting to see how they've evolved in line with their immediate environment. The ones I have been in are in nice buildings and serve beer at reasonable prices.

I don't go any of these very often and then only when my mates want to; however:

Bradford City Centre:

A barn-size building that plays banging young-kid music on Friday and Saturday nights. Old codgers through the day, crowds of young 'uns at weekend nights. Beer quality ... average at best.

Halifax Town Centre: / Bingley Town Centre: / Brighouse Town Centre:

Follow the original template. Mixed age clientele. Beer quality ... good but not great on all my visits.

Sale:

The one I've been to the most; my mate lives there and its one of the two pubs he goes in. Follows the original template. Crowd (it's always packed) look like middle management men wearing their casual woolly jumper; the women always done up to the nines and wearing half a trowel of makeup. Never had a good pint yet. Drink bottles ... at least you know how disappointing its going to taste.

What's your local Wetherspoons like?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 11/03/2020 at 16:13, longboard said:

It's an impressive building. Around the side of the building from the main drag, Skipton Road, there is the Temperance Society name etc carved in stone. The sights I saw outside Wetherspoons for a few years travelling to work on a Saturday morning were enough to make me believe in temperance.

Not quite as bad as it used to be outside Last Orders next door early in the morning. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 13/03/2020 at 07:44, gazza77 said:

Not quite as bad as it used to be outside Last Orders next door early in the morning. ?

Indeed.

Witherthebrains seems to have benefited from the closure of said establishment.

The first hotel I ever stayed in on business was The Cumberland  (the  Harrow one!), around 1968/69.

I was on a training course at the nearby Burroughs training school. Burroughs made a hard disc that we used in our realtime computers. 2 megabytes, measured 4 ft high, 4 foot long,  18 inches wide, but fast, very fast - fixed head per track. 

No licence, no room TV,  just a TV lounge where the TV was turned off at 10.30 pm, shared room with colleague.

On 11/03/2020 at 22:00, Wolford6 said:

As I understand it, Wetherspoons originally operated on a common theme ... real ale at resonable prices in nice surroundings with no music. It's interesting to see how they've evolved in line with their immediate environment. The ones I have been in are in nice buildings and serve beer at reasonable prices.

I don't go any of these very often and then only when my mates want to; however:

Bradford City Centre:

A barn-size building that plays banging young-kid music on Friday and Saturday nights. Old codgers through the day, crowds of young 'uns at weekend nights. Beer quality ... average at best.

Halifax Town Centre: / Bingley Town Centre: / Brighouse Town Centre:

Follow the original template. Mixed age clientele. Beer quality ... good but not great on all my visits.

Sale:

The one I've been to the most; my mate lives there and its one of the two pubs he goes in. Follows the original template. Crowd (it's always packed) look like middle management men wearing their casual woolly jumper; the women always done up to the nines and wearing half a trowel of makeup. Never had a good pint yet. Drink bottles ... at least you know how disappointing its going to taste.

What's your local Wetherspoons like?

Of course, my knowledge is way out of date. But, brewers appreciated Wetherspoons for looking after the end-of-life beer rather well.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 10/03/2020 at 21:54, ckn said:

Submariners are very, very strange people to tolerate those conditions for that long. And the Trident subs are the most spacious ones we have. 

One of my ex-colleagues (now retired) had previously been a submariner. I've worked with and have known some strange folk in my time but.......

20 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

One of my ex-colleagues (now retired) had previously been a submariner. I've worked with and have known some strange folk in my time but.......

When I was a kid, the Royal Navy sent two regular powered submarines to Salford Docks for a visit, my cousin who worked as a dock train driver, took me on board as a guest. It was slightly odd knowing how many men were normally on board, for so long, in such a tight space.

19 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

When I was a kid, the Royal Navy sent two regular powered submarines to Salford Docks for a visit, my cousin who worked as a dock train driver, took me on board as a guest. It was slightly odd knowing how many men were normally on board, for so long, in such a tight space.

I'm still amazed he wasn't shoved into a torpedo tube and fired into the deep. But then again everyone else on board was probably as barking as he was!

Archived