13 Mar: SL: Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/03/20 at 19:45

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

An assumption that says far less about Wigan and Wakefield fans than you, it could be argued.

Not at all, Wigan were the team who lost and it's usually the fans of teams who lose who find fault with the referee more than not.

We have already had a few Wakefield fans posting recently who seem to think Child is the devil.

HTH?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, meast said:

Referees will make mistakes just as anyone does, he also has a touch judge to help him out, there were a couple that looked forward in real time but then looked OK on replay, referee's don't have replays unfortunately.

It didn't make any difference to the game,  Wigan's half heartedness in the second half cost them that game, not a refereeing decision.

The decision I am talking about went against Salford, I have never mentioned anything vaguely along the lines of Wigan had any decision against them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I dont rate Childs at all, I think hes often far too weak in games but last night he was excellent, was very assertive in his decisions and for once distanced himself from the players and made sure they didnt try and control him. 

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

I dont rate Childs at all, I think hes often far too weak in games but last night he was excellent, was very assertive in his decisions and for once distanced himself from the players and made sure they didnt try and control him. 

Agree. Was going to post Child was having a good game then he made that forward pass shocker. The game flowed nicely with little rubbish at the rucks. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Agree. Was going to post Child was having a good game then he made that forward pass shocker. The game flowed nicely with little rubbish at the rucks. 

I dont mind refs making mistakes like that though, they will happen. The game is incredibly fast now so you have to expect and accept refs mistakes. With Childs it has always been more about his lack of control in games and the way players seem able to influence him far too much. Last night though he was excellent in everything he did.

We could have robot refs with multiple camera feeds and able to do complex maths to work out forward passes. But someone would still say they had a shocker.

That forward pass decision against Salford was a shocker.  We’ve gone backwards here (no pun intended).  They were dead right 10-15 years ago to pick up on “momentum”.  But because so many did wits couldn’t understand it, they’ve reverted to a hybrid of actual, correct physics and pander-to-the-idiots-if-it-looks-forward-against-the-ground-then-give-it approach.  You could see James Child looking at the ground last night and thinking “looks forward from where he released it” which was utterly irrelevant in that case.  Does my nut in.

I think touch judge called it forward, you cant throw a ball forward when clearly his arms went back with the pass, would a loved a 4th official to have just got in childs ear and said it were a good pass,could a taken 2 seconds and that call could a cost salford, massive effort to forget it and go on and win.

24 minutes ago, meast said:

Neither did I.

This line certainly implies your thinking was otherwise.

Wigan's half heartedness in the second half cost them that game, not a refereeing decision.

The implication there is that I had said a refereeing decision cost Wigan the game.

You quoted a post where I said the ref made a shocker of a forward pass decision when you made that statement.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Didn't expect a game of such entertainment, especially after Salford's start! Wigan will be disappointed that they didn't finish the game off early on. Credit has to go to Salford and their resilience though, who didn't give up when many (ok, me) wrote them off!

This league is very open this year, no-one firing on all cylinders yet!

Much more exciting game than expected. Wigan looked okay in the first half but I felt like we should have put more points on them. Hastings was well looked after and as a result French had little impact too. Powell and Farrell were dangerous but no one else was really threatening. We were probably looking towards Leuluai to maybe offer a bit more but he's been fairly quiet this year.

Second half was pretty dismal for Wigan. Salford were dominant in the pack but I don't think Lam's decision to have Powell/Leuluai in that hybrid hooker/loose forward role helped. No doubt it was down to the Bibby injury and having to move Smithies to second row, but with our props not making much ground at that point having halves at loose adds to the problem.

Sarginson was outstanding. He was much maligned at Wigan but his carries and work rate are unmatched. This is the sort of game that he would make a huge difference in. Wigan's pack would often be dominated but having Sarginson there to make effective carries was like having another forward on the field.

Wigan needed to be ruthless but just seemed to sit back and Salford pounced. With Burgess, Clark and Byrne we didn't have the strongest defence among our middles and the carries from Salford's outside backs gave those 3 a torrid time. We paid the price there for Flower and Partington's bans as those two are our best defensive players.

On a positive note, I thought for the second time in as many games Ethan Havard was the best prop forward on the field. He was outstanding against Hull KR last week and even better last night. Phenomenal work rate, good carries, exceptional defence. He's the best prop prospect this country has had since James Graham.

Just watched the game on delayed cove rage in NZ. I avoided the score to keep the game more exciting. At half time I thought Salford had no chance and even well into the second half thought Wigan would prevail. Well done Salford for hanging in and getting a much needed win. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Lack experience in some of the Wigan pack evident. Too often they were concentrating on hitting hard rather than smart. Too many gaps in midfield. Watson did have a plan for Hastings...step forward Kris Welham.

Wigan too complacent; Salford the exact opposite.

Archived