Lee Radford Sacked (Merged Threads)

MZH

There has been a fair bit of debate amongst Hull fans recently (well, you could say for a few years) about Radford and his position. 

So I am asking for the opinion of fans of other clubs, who's judgement isn't clouded one way or another to offer an impartial view on the matter. Is Radford the man to lead Hull? Is he doing a good job? Or would we be better off showing him the door? 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hull FC are a big club who have spent big for years and have underachieved for years. Radford has been in charge for a long time, with no real improvement in that time. You really never know what you will get from a Hull FC team and their form is usually very much rocks and diamonds. Quite why they have stuck with Radford for as long as they have is one of life's mysteries. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Hull FC are a big club who have spent big for years and have underachieved for years. Radford has been in charge for a long time, with no real improvement in that time. You really never know what you will get from a Hull FC team and their form is usually very much rocks and diamonds. Quite why they have stuck with Radford for as long as they have is one of life's mysteries. 

I agree with this, Hull are one of the big 5 and should be challenging for trophies more. Whether a new manager would facilitate that or not is another matter though. 

There is a saying "taken them as far as he can", I think this may apply.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

45 minutes ago, Padge said:

There is a saying "taken them as far as he can", I think this may apply.

Well, it has to be said, he was coach when we played you lot in Australia.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Lee Radford has had seven years in the job, Generally in work and in sport you have a shelf life of about 5 years before it's timr to move on. If you look at long serving managers they develop an inner conservatism and the whole performance of the team they are in atrophies.. In Soccer John Lyall, Brian Clough and Sir Alex Ferguson were all club legends but look at the mess they left behind them for others to inherit. Equally iust because you are club legend on the field, does not mean you are the best choice to lead the club off the field - Just ask Kieran Cunningham (and he won a Grand Final).

Perhaps that's not the whole story at Hull because IIRC there was an interview given by Lewis Bieneck about the choice between moving friom the London Broncos to Wigan or Hull. When he went over to Wigan it was all business but when he met Lee Radford at Hull  it was all a lot more relaxed and casual with a laid back approach which Lewis opted for. He is now plying his trade in the Championship, and for me that story does illustrate that maybe Hull under Lee Radford lack intensity and continue to flatter to decieve as the approach is too laid back..

I keep posting Hull are a big club for that's a statement of fact but IMO Mr Pearson will havbe to make his move after the Warrington game on 12th March if results have not improved as the clamour to Save Our Season mounts in the stands.

Lee Radford's been too long in the job and moving on will probably prove to be beneficial for both parties as when you do get fired you learn from your mistrkes and do not repeat them in your next job.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

From an outside perspective, Lee Radford is the most successful Hull FC for generations, that is simply a matter of fact. 

He has been hit and miss, in 2016 they did really well and were unlucky to miss out on Grand Final the following year. But in 2019 for example, it was a huge underachievement to miss out on the play offs.

Radford comes across well and seems a decent bloke but the end of season collapse seems to be happening too often.

I hope he stays for another 5 years personally. Top class coach, they need to stick with him 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I'm neutral and he's ######. I imagine he's got some motivational qualities which get them through a cup game here and there and thus has a couple of challenge cups, which shouldn't be sneered at. He's delivered results on that front and for me that's enough to give him time. However.

If Hull want to be serious league contenders they need a more competent head coach. It'll be a brave man to sack him but they are never going to be higher than 4/5th with Radders in charge. He can sign as many Tongans as he wants, if his tactical acumen extends to 2007, wedge, wedge, tongan. it's going to come a cropper time and time again.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I'm neutral and he's ######. I imagine he's got some motivational qualities which get them through a cup game here and there and thus has a couple of challenge cups, which shouldn't be sneered at. He's delivered results on that front and for me that's enough to give him time. However.

If Hull want to be serious league contenders they need a more competent head coach. It'll be a brave man to sack him but they are never going to be higher than 4/5th with Radders in charge. He can sign as many Tongans as he wants, if his tactical acumen extends to 2007, wedge, wedge, tongan. it's going to come a cropper time and time again.

So what you're saying is...

we need more Tongans doing wedges?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

As a outsider I'm just amazed he's lasted this long when you recall how they have ended recent season's. Look at last season and how many times they conceded 40+ points, and in home games too, and it seems he's more lives than a cat. The kudos of a couple of CC wins must be wearing thin by now even on Pearson but apart from a couple of outbursts of bluster about how things must an would change it's carry on as you were, strange to say the least.

Lee Radford has done a good job and when many wanted him out Pearson kept faith and was rewarded with 2 challenge cup wins.

Winning the challenge cup isn't easy but you do only need 2 or 3 good wins really. But credit because those 2 or 3 wins are in massive high pressure games and Hull stood the test convincingly not once but twice.

Despite this Hull have never looked likely Super League winners with periods of good & bad form pretty much in equal measure during every long season. And there have been quite a number of huge embarrassing defeats which shouldn't really have happened.

Adam Pearson has been very loyal and he's had reward but as I said last week this season is different. The planned losses for this season cannot be repeated. I have no doubt that Pearson expected better than 2/5 and 1/3 at home after record investment in the team.

Lee Radford is a good Rugby League man and even as a Hull KR fan I do enjoy his sense of humour ... even though it is often directed at us!

I think the end is close now for his time as head coach of Hull FC , if it is he can hold his head high.

4 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Lee Radford has done a good job and when many wanted him out Pearson kept faith and was rewarded with 2 challenge cup wins.

Winning the challenge cup isn't easy but you do only need 2 or 3 good wins really. But credit because those 2 or 3 wins are in massive high pressure games and Hull stood the test convincingly not once but twice.

Despite this Hull have never looked likely Super League winners with periods of good & bad form pretty much in equal measure during every long season. And there have been quite a number of huge embarrassing defeats which shouldn't really have happened.

Adam Pearson has been very loyal and he's had reward but as I said last week this season is different. The planned losses for this season cannot be repeated. I have no doubt that Pearson expected better than 2/5 and 1/3 at home after record investment in the team.

Lee Radford is a good Rugby League man and even as a Hull KR fan I do enjoy his sense of humour ... even though it is often directed at us!

I think the end is close now for his time as head coach of Hull FC , if it is he can hold his head high.

I suspect most Hull fans would prefer Pearson holding it high on a pike.

I don’t think Radfords a bad coach but Hull massively underachieved last year and despite an impressive start this year it look like they’re slipping away as the season starts to take shape. Back to back Challenge Cups were impressive but now they need to kick on and make it to the Grand Final.

I feel Warrington and Hull are under the most pressure this season and it’s showing

On 28/02/2020 at 11:46, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Generally in work and in sport you have a shelf life of about 5 years before it's time to move on. If you look at long serving managers they develop an inner conservatism and the whole performance of the team they are in atrophies.. In Soccer John Lyall, Brian Clough and Sir Alex Ferguson were all club legends but look at the mess they left behind them for others to inherit.

2 bad analogies.

1. Apart from the millions that work in the public sector that manage to survive 35+ years.

2. Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Joachim Low, Walter Winterbottom, George Ramsay, Bill Struth, Helmut Schoen among many that defy this fallacy

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . .  . . . Which one did you perform? "

3 hours ago, Faithful1865 said:

And he'd still achieve more than yours.

If Smith was coaching FC’s squad you’d be in the top 2 and one of the favourites to win the competition; that’s kinda the point I think 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I feel he's had his time. With the squad he's had over the last few years he should have achieved more.

Shaun Wane would be a good shout as a possible replacement. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I feel he's had his time. With the squad he's had over the last few years he should have achieved more.

Shaun Wane would be a good shout as a possible replacement. 

Wane would definitely make us a more ruthless, well drilled outfit, but I'm not sure I would like to see us playing "the Wane way." I want to see us find the new Holbrook. Someone young and exciting with fresh ideas. Easier said than done of course. For every Holbrook you get a Rick Stone. 

Craig Fitzgibbon and Matty Head are two names that people have mentioned that could be interesting, and both have played for the club previously so already have an idea what Hull and the SL in general are about. Fitzgibbon in particular would be an exciting appointment to me having served under Trent Robinson at such a great club as the Roosters. 

Failing that I'd like to see what Danny Ward can do with that squad at his disposal.

Archived