Coronavirus/home fixtures

glemiln

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/march/clubstatement_covid-19/

Will the postponement of all Premier League/EFL football fixtures until 3 April affect the day-to-day availability of facilities at the Crown Arena and our fixtures?  

So far, there is no official statement from the RFL on upcoming fixtures, but it’s hard to see why rugby league will be exempt, I guess well beyond 3 April!
Leeds have postponed their away game with Catalans on Saturday owing to a player self-isolating with symptoms and of course the implications involving flights,etc.
They have also announced changes to training protocol.  https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/03/13/rhinos-introduce-changes-to-stadium-and-training-ground-protocol-in-reaction-to-covid-19/
It will be hard for many clubs to recover from the hit on finances (of clubs/players) playing games in empty stadiums or long term postponements.

The RFL has reacted to other sporting event postponements to say that all matches are ON this weekend.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/14/wakefield-michael-carter-fears-coronavirus-impact-on-some-rugby-league-clubs?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3kixTgYE-TNcureaRZRVmh40LNG5jak1umMLcKO7drSadhAsrCWrNX-10

Andy Mazey shares the fears, especially for some clubs outside of SL.  Hopefully ? concentrated, professional planning across and for the future of the whole game as the situation unfolds.  Thankfully, we seem now to be in a better position than before the takeover.

Some super league clubs are also terrified.  Wouldn't it be ironic after everything RL has gone through in its history if this virus rings the end for some of our clubs.  I like many others love the game not just my team but I am worried where all this  virus is taking us as a society.  Hopefully come the warmer weather it leaves us before it grips us.  What a prospect for our old and vulnerable watch telly for 3 months.

1 hour ago, Larry Jones said:

Some super league clubs are also terrified.  Wouldn't it be ironic after everything RL has gone through in its history if this virus rings the end for some of our clubs.  I like many others love the game not just my team but I am worried where all this  virus is taking us as a society.  Hopefully come the warmer weather it leaves us before it grips us.  What a prospect for our old and vulnerable watch telly for 3 months.

dont hold out to much hope for the effect of warmer weather...I am in Brisbane where the temp hardly falls below 20 celsius and its spreading rapidly here.

On 16 March 2020 at 19:33, Anita Bath said:

dont hold out to much hope for the effect of warmer weather...I am in Brisbane where the temp hardly falls below 20 celsius and its spreading rapidly here.

Yes the warm weather effect appears to be a myth. It's quite warm in Spain but it's really serious over there.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking ahead ...from the link below including a rumoured basis of a 14 team SL, a 16 team Championship and a newly aligned 3rd tier!   Naturally, much will depend on how many clubs come out reasonably intact from this current situation.  It’s certainly difficult to envisage the existing set-up being in place, whenever some normality returns.

‘’The sport now has an opportunity to really consider if a national semi-professional third division, stretching from Newcastle to Llanelli, Workington to London, is a sensible thing. A new third tier could end the anachronistic divide between the amateur and professional game. The best National Conference League teams already challenge the weaker League 1 teams on the pitch and many are vastly stronger off it: many amateur clubs run dozens of teams, have hundreds of members, better facilities, bigger crowds and had flourishing income streams.
Regionalised conferences with national play-offs seem a far better idea, perhaps playing from autumn to spring, leaving the summer to the pros again.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2020/mar/25/super-league-challenge-cup-england-coronavirus-pandemic-rugby-league

Archived