We Are Irrelevant !

We’ve known for a long time that the media need no invitation to ignore Rugby League, especially down south!

In years gone by I’ve seen weekends where Rugby League has drawn the largest sporting crowd in the Northern Hemisphere and yet get little more than a 5 inch column, 4 pages in from the back of the newspapers. While a Union game with empty stands, less than 5,000 spectators which is meaningless has enjoyed full page coverage including half page sized photos.

Over the last 24 to 48 hours I’ve watched SKY Sports News, The BBC and other channels talk about the suspension of F1, All Football, 6Ns, Marathons etc. I’ve seen them attempt to fill the void by reporting on Union Down Under, Russian, Turkish and South American Football and propose that to get your sporting fix you can watch Badminton.

They’ve also stated that there are no professional sporting events taking place in the U.K. other than the Cheltenham races.

If ever there was a demonstration of how little they value Rugby League and how we are an irrelevance then their reaction to the sporting landscape during this Virus crisis has exposed and demonstrated it.

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

We’ve known for a long time that the media need no invitation to ignore Rugby League, especially down south!

In years gone by I’ve seen weekends where Rugby League has drawn the largest sporting crowd in the Northern Hemisphere and yet get little more than a 5 inch column, 4 pages in from the back of the newspapers. While a Union game with empty stands, less than 5,000 spectators which is meaningless has enjoyed full page coverage including half page sized photos.

Over the last 24 to 48 hours I’ve watched SKY Sports News, The BBC and other channels talk about the suspension of F1, All Football, 6Ns, Marathons etc. I’ve seen them attempt to fill the void by reporting on Union Down Under, Russian, Turkish and South American Football and propose that to get your sporting fix you can watch Badminton.

They’ve also stated that there are no professional sporting events taking place in the U.K. other than the Cheltenham races.

If ever there was a demonstration of how they value Rugby League and how we are an irrelevance then this Virus has exposed it.

?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Radio 5 have just been talking about sporting cancellations, and Rugby League got several mentions - both Super League and the Challenge Cup.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Don't blame the media, Its the people that have been running the sport post Richard Lewis and alot of 'fans' in the heartlands that have made RL irrelevant in the UK 

Seriously ,the ' fans ' ? , By doing what ? , Going watching the teams we support ?

38 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Don't blame the media, Its the people that have been running the sport post Richard Lewis and alot of 'fans' in the heartlands that have made RL irrelevant in the UK 

How can ‘fans in the heartlands’ make the game irrelevant?

Discuss.

Well with the Cas game on tomorrow live on Sky I'm expecting all the nations sporting media to turn up and post some in depth reports in tomorrow's papers.

Any truth in the rumour on social media that with Match of the day cancelled tonight the Super league show will be taking its place???

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Any truth in the rumour on social media that with Match of the day cancelled tonight the Super league show will be taking its place???

Well...

1. The SLS won't be ready to broadcast 'til after the weekend's games are all played, and

2. The BBC are showing Mrs Brown's Boys in the MotD slot tonight. A portent that St John the Divine of Patmos correctly identified as ushering in the Apocalypse.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well...

1. The SLS won't be ready to broadcast 'til after the weekend's games are all played, and

2. The BBC are showing Mrs Brown's Boys in the MotD slot tonight. A portent that St John the Divine of Patmos correctly identified as ushering in the Apocalypse.

Well not what I've heard... wait and see tonight ?

41 minutes ago, silverback said:

Cant we bring Toronto into this thred and that will get us noticed,:kolobok_popcorm1::kolobok_popcorm1:

That's easily done: SL clubs A & B go into administration due to cashflow issues and get X points deducted as per SL rules. Toronto consquentially don't finish bottom so aren't relegated.

On a different note, the Catalans French TV negotiations are probably up the swanee now.

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Blame the not so slim accountant bloke for taking everything for himself and leaving the game where it is today

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Chris Kamara is the studio guest for Cas v Saints according to Twitter. (Assuming it was actually him and not a spoof)

Unbelievable Jeff

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:

If ever there was a demonstration of how little they value Rugby League and how we are an irrelevance then their reaction to the sporting landscape during this Virus crisis has exposed and demonstrated it.

This is such a needy post. Have a lie down.

Listen fella's its only a matter of time, before the whole media world turns against Rugby League for not stopping. You understand that don't you. They've got us both ways, not acknowledging that we even exist (at first) when we are the only sport soldiering on and playing but then the worm will turn and they'll make us the scapegoat and responsible for the whole damned plague! They'll begin to say it originated in Yorkshire or Lancashire and forget all about China. 

8 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Listen fella's its only a matter of time, before the whole media world turns against Rugby League for not stopping. You understand that don't you. They've got us both ways, not acknowledging that we even exist (at first) when we are the only sport soldiering on and playing but then the worm will turn and they'll make us the scapegoat and responsible for the whole damned plague! They'll begin to say it originated in Yorkshire or Lancashire and forget all about China. 

That would involve them giving us the oxygen of publicity. Some ingrained habits are hard to change.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

To be fair, I remember on the radio someone saying that all the football and 'the rugby' was cancelled, so the media certainly must take its share.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Chris Kamara is the studio guest for Cas v Saints according to Twitter. (Assuming it was actually him and not a spoof)

The Sky Sports Twitter account (assuming that isn't some inward-looking meta-spoof in itself) has confirmed that the mighty Kamara will be there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived