Sign in to follow this  
OMEGA

We Are Irrelevant !

8 hours ago, OMEGA said:

We’ve known for a long time that the media need no invitation to ignore Rugby League, especially down south!

In years gone by I’ve seen weekends where Rugby League has drawn the largest sporting crowd in the Northern Hemisphere and yet get little more than a 5 inch column, 4 pages in from the back of the newspapers. While a Union game with empty stands, less than 5,000 spectators which is meaningless has enjoyed full page coverage including half page sized photos.

Over the last 24 to 48 hours I’ve watched SKY Sports News, The BBC and other channels talk about the suspension of F1, All Football, 6Ns, Marathons etc. I’ve seen them attempt to fill the void by reporting on Union Down Under, Russian, Turkish and South American Football and propose that to get your sporting fix you can watch Badminton.

They’ve also stated that there are no professional sporting events taking place in the U.K. other than the Cheltenham races.

If ever there was a demonstration of how little they value Rugby League and how we are an irrelevance then their reaction to the sporting landscape during this Virus crisis has exposed and demonstrated it.

They perceive RL as a small regional sport with limited appeal, as long as that's the case what else do you expect?

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They perceive RL as a small regional sport with limited appeal, as long as that's the case what else do you expect?

Don't you mean "a small regional sport with limited appeal and pitch markings that personally and consistently offend me"?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They do. They are wrong. What are we going to do about it?

9 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

They do. They are wrong. What are we going to do about it?

Within the current structure of RL in the UK, nothing can be done about it because everything about that structure and how it operates reinforces their perception of the sport.

Traditionalists won't like this, but I suggest that the one and only thing which could change that perception is for the sport to have a whole new built-for-purpose RL equivalent of Super Rugby and Pro14, based in carefully selected globally recognized world class cities, modelled in all respects on the money-spinning major North American pro leagues and operating above the domestic RL structures in the countries where its franchises are based in the same way as Super Rugby and Pro14 operate above the domestic RU structures in the countries where they operate.  I can't think of anything else which could possibly break down the negative perception of the game which seems to be so common over there.  More Internationals won't help much when the most likely prospects to challenge the traditional top three are heritage teams representing tiny island countries with smaller populations than Leeds or Bradford.

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Don't you mean "a small regional sport with limited appeal and pitch markings that personally and consistently offend me"?

The latter point only applies to the UK, every match I've ever seen from Australia, New Zealand, France and even third world Papua New Guinea — which FYI is something like 100 matches now  — has had one consistent set of field markings which follows the Plan found in the RL Laws of the Game in effect at the time.  What part of consistency is professional and lack of consistency is unprofessional is difficult to understand?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Does it have to be biggest, sure is some fantastic games around,salford game were brilliant, have always liked championship games better than Sl,our crowds are p*** poor for the quality of some games been played but how we swell them anyone knows,i know crowds double when its free entry on sheffield game but you would be broke letting folks in for nowt,

22 hours ago, Big Picture said:

They may be right, of course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

They may be right, of course.

They are about RL being a small regional sport, but not that it has limited appeal.  Toronto's success at drawing good crowds shows that it has great appeal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They are about RL being a small regional sport, but not that it has limited appeal.  Toronto's success at drawing good crowds shows that it has great appeal.

Perception is always correct however.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

22 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Agreed... was there any mention of Rugby League on the BBC Sport Relief programme ?

I didn't see any.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Look everyone, what's the point in creating a marketing strategy to do the several things that need addressing first and foremost when it will start the fans complaining on and on about them and pundits being reactionary about them until they disappear after five minutes use and well before they have had the desired effects? BE YOUR AGE!

• Like 1

On n'est pas là pour se faire engueuler

"Papua New Guinea — which FYI is something like 100 matches now  "

Where do you watch PNG matches? Is their league still running? I fancy some of that if it is!

Edited by thebrewxi

25 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

"Papua New Guinea — which FYI is something like 100 matches now  "

Where do you watch PNG matches? Is their league still running? I fancy some of that if it is!

I was referring to the matches in PNG during the last World Cup and the GB tour last year, which are part of the roughly 100 matches from the listed countries which I've seen.  I found those on Youtube, it has some highlights from the PNG league competition too.

Oh. Oh well. Thought their league was on a website or YouTube. 

To be honest if it's not it should be. Bet it's a good watch. 

For the true League hipsters there's still a slim chance the Cook Islands league will be on and streaming a match this sunday 🙂

Edited by thebrewxi