Bored already.

8 hours ago, silverback said:

home grown by myself, grow most a my veg all year round. otherwise store bought is from africa or mexico and i find it very dry after its trip over here.lol. even do all my own rhubarb gin.:kolobok_popcorm1:

I'd like to try some of that gin!

49 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'd like to try some of that gin!

i sleep like a polar bear. if your ever over here have a bottle with your name on. no good if your out hunting, you  might miss a bear sneaking up as it kinda slows yer  senses down.:kolobok_scratch_one-s_head:

A good one to fill peoples time is to download Rugby League Laws of the Game and study them, we might have less from perpetual whingers when we kick off again.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, Padge said:

A good one to fill peoples time is to download Rugby League Laws of the Game and study them, we might have less from perpetual whingers when we kick off again.

I wholly agree with the spirit and sentiment of your suggestion, Padge.  My worry is that the laws of the game and what is deemed acceptable in contemporary practice are curiously at odds with one another in key areas of the game. 

Take the PTB, for instance.  Here is a scenario.  Running with the ball, I am tackled by an opponent.  As I rise to my feet, my momentum takes me a step or two forward.  I drop the ball to the ground in front of my foremost foot.  I step over it, albeit making a heeling movement with my foot as I do, but there is no contact and the bounce of the ball takes it backwards.

In contemporary, British play, I think the only thing that I would be penalised for is dropping the ball to the ground, for which a scrum, with put-in to the other side would be awarded.

However, in fact, dropping the ball to the ground is the only legal bit of the process I have described!

So, what you might get, Padge, is silence from the erstwhile whingers, but moans from new ones (eg me!), who - alarmingly - might now actually know what we are talking about!

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I wholly agree with the spirit and sentiment of your suggestion, Padge.  My worry is that the laws of the game and what is deemed acceptable in contemporary practice are curiously at odds with one another in key areas of the game. 

Take the PTB, for instance.  Here is a scenario.  Running with the ball, I am tackled by an opponent.  As I rise to my feet, my momentum takes me a step or two forward.  I drop the ball to the ground in front of my foremost foot.  I step over it, albeit making a heeling movement with my foot as I do, but there is no contact and the bounce of the ball takes it backwards.

In contemporary, British play, I think the only thing that I would be penalised for is dropping the ball to the ground, for which a scrum, with put-in to the other side would be awarded.

However, in fact, dropping the ball to the ground is the only legal bit of the process I have described!

So, what you might get, Padge, is silence from the erstwhile whingers, but moans from new ones (eg me!), who - alarmingly - might now actually know what we are talking about!

Yep, get all of that, and the one you mention about dropping the ball to the ground I have raised a few times over the years that it isn't illegal.

However a lot of the basic concepts, forward passes, offside, knock-on are massively misunderstood.

There should be an addendum to the laws every year to explain interpretation. 

My post was also light hearted.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

Yep, get all of that, and the one you mention about dropping the ball to the ground I have raised a few times over the years that it isn't illegal.

However a lot of the basic concepts, forward passes, offside, knock-on are massively misunderstood.

There should be an addendum to the laws every year to explain interpretation. 

My post was also light hearted.

Good points, Padge, and sorry if I am being too serious for a Saturday evening.  I have just played a piece of instrumental music on YouTube - Thomas Tomkins' A sad pavan for these distracted times - maybe not a good idea!!

15 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Listen to the radio station I work for its sixties music day and album rock at night will cheer you UP ?www.atlantisradio.uk

Ill play you a request next week:)

The Golden Dory by Stompin Tom Connors please.

• 3 months later...
On 15/03/2020 at 09:42, TIWIT said:

On a typical Saturday - say a week ago - I'd start my day off with some Premier League. Then some pre-season baseball, XFL football, a NASCAR race, NHL and NBA, and depending on scheduling, an F1/F2 race.

Repeat as much of this as possible on Sunday. (Sorry, no RL, the channel that carries it is simply too expensive when RL is the only thing I'd watch on it).

But today? Nothing. Glad I'm not a sports talk show host. Hours to fill and literally nothing to talk about.

So I signed up for Netflix. Any recommendations?

Good sports viewing on Netflix: Last Chance U, Losers, Home Game and Zion are a good start. This covers a diverse range of sports and topics.

There’s plenty of sports related stuff on Netflix.

On 14/03/2020 at 22:42, TIWIT said:

On a typical Saturday - say a week ago - I'd start my day off with some Premier League. Then some pre-season baseball, XFL football, a NASCAR race, NHL and NBA, and depending on scheduling, an F1/F2 race.

Repeat as much of this as possible on Sunday. (Sorry, no RL, the channel that carries it is simply too expensive when RL is the only thing I'd watch on it).

But today? Nothing. Glad I'm not a sports talk show host. Hours to fill and literally nothing to talk about.

So I signed up for Netflix. Any recommendations?

"Half a Sixpence" - Tommy Steele  Most likely before your time but you can probably get it on Netflix.

The song itself (later used in a good fun film of the same name), was a chart-topping hit in its day and Tommy Steele, though first a pop singer, went on to be a film star.

A very good film actor in fact, in the great northern tongue-in-the-cheek, cheeky-chappie comedian style.

Long gone now. Sad in a way, that such simple, wholesome, feel-good fare is off the menu to a large extent these days, even for children.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

4 hours ago, Honor James said:

A very good film actor in fact, in the great northern tongue-in-the-cheek, cheeky-chappie comedian style.

He was from Bermondsey but I know what you mean

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

He was from Bermondsey but I know what you mean

I once had a Tommy Steele guitar, complete with the authentic plastic signature. I didn't have a clue who he was, then my Gran trod on it.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

9 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

I once had a Tommy Steele guitar, complete with the authentic plastic signature. I didn't have a clue who he was, then my Gran trod on it.

I had one of them too!

Just 4 strings ( being pedantic it was a ukulele)  and I could play " catch a falling star" on it

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 18/07/2020 at 10:34, Bearman said:

I had one of them too!

Just 4 strings ( being pedantic it was a ukulele)  and I could play " catch a falling star" on it

I can't remember how many strings it had. The body did look like one of those guitars that were typical of the 1950's and the colour was off white. I was only about three when I got it, so I couldn't play anything.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On 18/07/2020 at 00:38, Mister Ting said:

Oh no!  Sacrilege.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

Archived