The NRL season to continue

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I dont think it will continue.  There are now issues with NZ Warriors.  Also, the NRL are asking for Government compensation.  Even though there are mega bucks in the NRL (compared to SL) im sure their season will stop soon.  Ours will also.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I dont think it will continue.  There are now issues with NZ Warriors.  Also, the NRL are asking for Government compensation.  Even though there are mega bucks in the NRL (compared to SL) im sure their season will stop soon.  Ours will also.

Me neither and I’ve cancelled my Watch NRL subscription before it auto-renews. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Me neither and I’ve cancelled my Watch NRL subscription before it auto-renews. 

I think most countries will adopt the way the Italians have adopted in that they close down areas.  Where I am, the Government has stopped pubic transport, large groups, Prayer restrictions (which is unheard of), most workplaces for 14 days (which is the time COVID takes to show).  Shops and shopping malls are closed, cinemas etc etc.  Only supermarkets and fuel stations remain open and I think that will change soon.

Like most things, the UK is behind in their way of thinking.

15 minutes ago, Copa said:

I think after another week or two it will be postponed.

All it takes is for one player to come down ill and a few teams will be wiped out for a round.

Exactly, look at football. Postponements seem almost inevitable 

11 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

The NZ Warriors are going to temporarily base themselves in Oz, following their own government's announcement of 14-day quarantine periods. So unless the Canberra government bans sport outright, we'll maybe get round 2 played at least.

But with the fluidity of the situation, who knows? Things might change tomorrow, or they might change in the next ten minutes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The NZ Warriors are going to temporarily base themselves in Oz, following their own government's announcement of 14-day quarantine periods. So unless the Canberra government bans sport outright, we'll maybe get round 2 played at least.

But with the fluidity of the situation, who knows? Things might change tomorrow, or they might change in the next ten minutes.

A few warriors players want to return to NZ.  I suspect they’ll eventually forfeit games if the NRL continues.

The NRL run the risk of being alienated by the general public due to way they’ve gone about their press conference yesterday. It was tone deaf to ask for government support when there are more pressing issues which could use support in this current climate. From what I’ve seen, the response by the public hasn’t been good. The comments beneath that article are damning 

Just to add to my post, the NRL seems to be on more precarious ground than what we were led to believe. What happened to the tv money? They’re saying the game could go bankrupt if it stopped. You gotta question the leadership. Running a business at break even is never a good idea 

4 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

The NRL run the risk of being alienated by the general public due to way they’ve gone about their press conference yesterday. It was tone deaf to ask for government support when there are more pressing issues which could use support in this current climate. From what I’ve seen, the response by the public hasn’t been good. The comments beneath that article are damning 

Maybe it is tone deaf, but people said the exact same thing when V'landys' did it when equine flu was decimating the races a decade ago, and back then he came out the other side with hundreds of millions of taxpayers dollars.

Whether it's moral or not, it pays, so people are going to keep doing it, and the NRL won't be the only ones.

2 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Maybe it is tone deaf, but people said the exact same thing when V'landys' did it when equine flu was decimating the races a decade ago, and back then he came out the other side with hundreds of millions of taxpayers dollars.

Whether it's moral or not, it pays, so people are going to keep doing it, and the NRL won't be the only ones.

The racing industry was the only industry affected by equine flu so they were entitled to relief from the government. However nearly every industry is being affected by covid-19, not just the NRL. 

17 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Scott Morrison has also come out today and said that the NRL are not top of the government’s priorities 

4 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

Just to add to my post, the NRL seems to be on more precarious ground than what we were led to believe. What happened to the tv money? They’re saying the game could go bankrupt if it stopped. You gotta question the leadership. Running a business at break even is never a good idea 

I highly doubt that they run the business to break even. If you are making a profit selling product regardless of that product, if you don't get bums on seats and can't produce product it will collapse. People still need paying.......

8 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

I highly doubt that they run the business to break even. If you are making a profit selling product regardless of that product, if you don't get bums on seats and can't produce product it will collapse. People still need paying.......

Well clearly they have been running it at breakeven. If they can’t even go a month without playing because it threatens the business then there are problems. Why can every other comp achieve this? 

I’m sorry but if you’re boasting about massive tv deals and profits you make every other time but immediately seek financial assistance at the first sign of trouble then something is not adding up. Higher ups in the NRL have clearly had their hands in the pie or applying negligent business practices. They should have financial reserves 

3 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

The racing industry was the only industry affected by equine flu so they were entitled to relief from the government. However nearly every industry is being affected by covid-19, not just the NRL. 

2 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

Scott Morrison has also come out today and said that the NRL are not top of the government’s priorities 

It's inevitable that there'll be grants and bail outs as part of a stimulus package on the other side of this, V'landys is just getting ahead of the pack in placing the NRL is position to get one.

I'm not making a comment on whether that is right or wrong, it just is what it is. 

The man does not sell well at all.

If my taxpayer money goes to him I will reconsider who I vote for.

A sport or corporation is not a charity for taxpayers money.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

Well clearly they have been running it at breakeven. If they can’t even go a month without playing because it threatens the business then there are problems. Why can every other comp achieve this? 

I’m sorry but if you’re boasting about massive tv deals and profits you make every other time but immediately seek financial assistance at the first sign of trouble then something is not adding up. Higher ups in the NRL have clearly had their hands in the pie or applying negligent business practices. They should have financial reserves 

They aren't running at break-even and the NRL can go more than a month without playing (and it's probably going to be more than a month BTW), they have got financial reserves (not as big as they should be, but you can thank the clubs for that) but they'd rather keep the losses to a minimum if possible.

It's not really the NRL it's self that they are worried about anyway. The NRL is going to take a massive hit and it'll take time to recover, but unless things are way worse then predicted, it'll be fine. It's the clubs they are worried about, because many of them, probably including your own, are in a position where they can't afford to cancel or postpone a good chunk of the season.

20 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

It's inevitable that there'll be grants and bail outs as part of a stimulus package on the other side of this, V'landys is just getting ahead of the pack in placing the NRL is position to get one.

I'm not making a comment on whether that is right or wrong, it just is what it is. 

The Australian taxpayer would like to see those more in need get government help instead of sports organisations that are already on big tv deals. Whether or not NRL is first in line to get one or not, it’ll set a precedent whereby every sport should get financial help. How much will that cost? Far better ways to spend taxpayer money in times like these. 

15 minutes ago, Copa said:

They can’t. Lots of soccer and other sporting leagues outside of the global giants will suffer massively.

Yep, just take Australia's biggest leagues for example.

If things don't blow over quickly this will probably break the ARU's back, or at least it'll go very close to it, the A-league will have to play on no matter what or they'll be in the same boat as the ARU, and the NBL is thanking it's lucky stars that it's season is basically over, because they wouldn't be any better off.

The AFL will fair better than everybody else, but they're going to take a massive hit just like the NRL.

Archived