The NRL season to continue

The posters here obviously have not been watching the Fox NRL shows on www.WatchNRL.com. I have

The NRL competition is continuing because the NRL needs the weekly payments from the TV networks, of AU$14 million a month. Once the NRL clubs stop playing games, the NRL stops getting the TV money, and so the clubs stop getting TV money from the NRL, and then the  players stop getting paid. That is why the NRL wants to keep playing, even behind closed doors, for as long as possible. But once a player tests positive for thew corona virus, the whole team must go into quarantine for two weeks, as do the teams that played theat club the previous two weeks. That will effectively end the competition.

Two NZ Warriors went back to NZ already because one had a newborn baby and the other had a wife who was 8 months pregnant. The rest of the team is staying in Australia, and playing out of the Gold Coast Stadium, for their next game. The two departed players -- Hiku and Herbert -- are being replaced by reserve team players. If the entire team was to return to NZ, under the new NZ corona virus laws they would have to be quarantined for two weeks. And the visiting Australian teams could not come for that same reason.  I cannot see the NZ Warriors staying Australia for the rest of the season, because the players are living apart from their families.

Vlandys said that the NRL had made a big mistake in not building up a rainy day fund, which the AFL has done. So the NRL does not have the resources to give much money to the clubs, which the AFL is in a much better position to do..

I cannot see the NRL continuing for more than a few weeks. But the players want to keep playing because they know that once they stop playing they lose their salaries.

For the entire 16 clubs to avoid infection, they would have to be quarantined under strict supervision. It won't happen. The players are not soldiers, and thus they are not controllable off the field. I believe that the NRL competition has a few weeks at the most to continue.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of different entities wanting different things, must be bloody hard to make the call. As far as I am concerned why bother risking a player who has an undetected case playing and spreading the virus. Sport for all codes is eventually going to be called off, for insurance purposes alone the smart thing to do is call everything off. It sucks but why take the risk?

21 hours ago, Newguy said:

A lot of different entities wanting different things, must be bloody hard to make the call. As far as I am concerned why bother risking a player who has an undetected case playing and spreading the virus. Sport for all codes is eventually going to be called off, for insurance purposes alone the smart thing to do is call everything off. It sucks but why take the risk?

So, why dont we all stop work. Everywhere. The NRL is a huge contributing business, it needs to continue running.

The players and staff are more 'protected' than Alan the butcher who still has to work.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived