Corona virus situation

moorside roughyed

I wonder what the effects would be should lower league clubs such as ours be made to close their doors for a certain period. Most clubs at our level and indeed above us have some sort of cash flow issues. Would we have a club to come back to?. Any thoughts? 

According to this morning's paper this is a watershed moment for RL. Sky's deal runs out next year and Sky won't pay for nothing and that is on the cards if the virus bans all sports. With regards to the lower divisions it said a lot will go to the wall for the reasons you have given. This position has really brought forward the time when sooperdooperleague controls everything. I also feel there will be several sl that will also go unless the brotherhood of sl clube keeps them afloat.

The question I ask will RL come out stronger when the very weak clubs have gone?

16 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Would we have a club to come back to?

I think there is a good chance that a few clubs might not be viable after this.  No club has big financial reserves, the RFL don't either.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think there is a good chance that a few clubs might not be viable after this.  No club has big financial reserves, the RFL don't either.  

Not looking good at all is it?.Rugby league as we know it won't exist at this rate. I dare say some other sports maybe in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

See you all at the Law Cup next season with a bit of luck. See if you can win it back. All the best and good health to all Roughyheads  from a Hornets fan.

Cheers mate, all the best and good health to you too. All being well the game will be around in some way, shape or form. Can you imagine a life without the "A627m el classico", no neither can I. We will as a nation beat this thing. 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

See you all at the Law Cup next season with a bit of luck. See if you can win it back. All the best and good health to all Roughyheads  from a Hornets fan.

The law cup 2021 rochdale Mayfield v Oldham combine 13, made up of local amateur players.

We're right at the beginning of the pandemic here in the UK.  I read that we're three weeks behind Italy in its escalation and that we won't reach a peak until the end of May, beginning of June.

If RL is suspended until April 3, there's no way it's going to resume immediately after that date.  

2 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

If RL is suspended until April 3, there's no way it's going to resume immediately after that date.  

Plus players can’t train together, use the gym (some might have a decent home gym but I’d bet most don’t), plus any anxiety from their day jobs.  It’s grim.

On the plus side we get time to clear injuries, get our loaners back and the pitch will firm up so we can display the free flowing rugby we all know is there!

(Sorry but I’m probably overly pessimistic right now.)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, clifford said:

Its difficult because I am at present unable to go to the office. I have to work from home for errr 12 weeks, being an asthmatic and insulin dependent diabetic. Its day 2 and its doing my head in ??????

It's going to be tough but it's better than the alternative. Didn't they make a rugby league version of " Subuteo " that you could play ? Back when I was working as an engineer I made myself a copy of the " Owzat " cricket game, you can borrow that if you like.

19 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

We're right at the beginning of the pandemic here in the UK.  I read that we're three weeks behind Italy in its escalation and that we won't reach a peak until the end of May, beginning of June.

If RL is suspended until April 3, there's no way it's going to resume immediately after that date.  

I can't see us playing again until what would have been the end of the season. August or September at the earliest.

2 hours ago, clifford said:

Its difficult because I am at present unable to go to the office. I have to work from home for errr 12 weeks, being an asthmatic and insulin dependent diabetic. Its day 2 and its doing my head in ??????

Poor sod, I've just started a two week self isolation for two weeks. For 12 weeks I can't imagine what that'd be like. I feel for you mate. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry. 

Stay safe folks. Hopefully the club isn’t hit too hard by this. There may be need for fundraising/fan activity to help in the future.

Also, the NRL are playing some games behind closed doors, so you can still get your RL fix via Sky Sports or the NRL app.

55 minutes ago, clifford said:

I m lucky that I can work from home. I wasnt given an option. I'm unsure what the future holds for rugby as a whole as well as football and cricket 

On the rugby front they are my thoughts too. The sport isn't a sport with loads of spare cash lying around. I can see a host of clubs going to the wall. Even some in superleague won't last too long with wages to pay and no money coming in. That being said this problem the world's having is bigger than anything. I'm sure we'll get there in the end. 

Archived