Covid 19 Contingency Plan

Batley Bob

This is a calamity, clubs are bound to pay their players signing on money without gate income, they have overheads to cover which I doubt will wait 3 months, yet Rimmer goes on TotalRL bemoaning the fact that some clubs may not recover....your fault mate for cancelling 3 months of the season. There were around 10 games over 5 days last week, how many people at those games have developed symptoms? The RFL could have led from the front here and bottled it.

32 minutes ago, phildog said:

This is a calamity, clubs are bound to pay their players signing on money without gate income, they have overheads to cover which I doubt will wait 3 months, yet Rimmer goes on TotalRL bemoaning the fact that some clubs may not recover....your fault mate for cancelling 3 months of the season. There were around 10 games over 5 days last week, how many people at those games have developed symptoms? The RFL could have led from the front here and bottled it.

Who canceled 3 months a season phil? and hows rfl bottled anything..? am a bit baffled.

what a ##### , surely peoples health has to come before sport , and at the moment its 1 month thats been cancelled but sure it will be longer and think that you will find that come this weekend it will have been decided by the government to stop all sports as the country goes into lockdown to try combat and slow down the spread of this killer disease

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

49 minutes ago, phildog said:

How do you know how many people became infected through attending these games .If it was only a few,how many did they go on to infect.

I'm sorry but I think this is the most stupid and  irresponsible post I have seen on these forums.

If I have to accept consequences for thi comment then so be it.

I wish I knew how to transfer this to the main forum.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

PD as many have pointed out many times, it's only a game not life & death...

Now we face such a quandary, it is better to protect the most vulnerable in society, after all one day we might be part of that vulnerable group, and I'd hope they'd then be prepared to suffer some inconvenience to spare my life!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

What consequences GittinsFan? It's forum for opinion, as long as it's clean!! I stick by my l comment, and as for it being a killer disease, Spanish Flu in 1918 was a killer disease, this gives 99.999% of suffers a bad cold for about 5 days, genuine flu will kill more people, fact.

I am 67 and my partner is 74 with health problems.We are trying to self isolate as much as possible.I had intended to nip to Tescos about 1.00am when there would be few people about.Now they have said they will close at 10.00pm to re-stock.So now I will be there at 6.00am.I sincerely apologise to Phildog that attending a rugby match would not be high on my priorities

2 minutes ago, phildog said:

What consequences GittinsFan? It's forum for opinion, as long as it's clean!! I stick by my l comment, and as for it being a killer disease, Spanish Flu in 1918 was a killer disease, this gives 99.999% of suffers a bad cold for about 5 days, genuine flu will kill more people, fact.

4 minutes ago, phildog said:

I don't know how old you are PD or if your parents are still alive.If you know many people over 70,please consult a doctor and ask how this  virus will affect them.Please consider this very carefully.I am convinced my partner will die if she becomes infected.

7 hours ago, phildog said:

I realise maths, may not be your strong point PD, but this has to be the most idiotic post I've ever read and there has been some strong contenders over the years. Just where do you get your figures from?

As it stands, the latest figures show in the UK, there are 1950 confirmed cases, resulting in 71 deaths. Therefore, over a quarter (27%) of those confirmed as being infected have already died from it.

This disease seems like Darwinism on an industrial scale and It is people like you, that bury their heads in sand, that make up a large proportion of the statistics.

52 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I realise maths, may not be your strong point PD, but this has to be the most idiotic post I've ever read and there has been some strong contenders over the years. Just where do you get your figures from?

As it stands, the latest figures show in the UK, there are 1950 confirmed cases, resulting in 71 deaths. Therefore, over a quarter (27%) of those confirmed as being infected have already died from it.

This disease seems like Darwinism on an industrial scale and It is people like you, that bury their heads in sand, that make up a large proportion of the statistics.

I think you may have your sums wrong too DF.However I totally agree with your sentiments

11 hours ago, phildog said:

Idiot

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I think you may have your sums wrong too DF.However I totally agree with your sentiments

Have you got any bread to wipe this egg off my face? Evidently maths isn't my strong point either. It should be 3.6%, I'd posted before I engaged my brain hehe?. The only crumb of comfort is, between pds and my post we have found the top two most idiotic posts on the forum in one thread.

Phil is right to suggest that this virus is not as lethal as Spanish Flu but it seems to be very infectious with a death rate of about 2.3%, rising steeply with the patient's age.  It can also leave permanent damage to the lungs of survivors. 

Flu, of course, does sometimes kill thousands over the winter but this has to potential to kill millions if not handled correctly.  Hindsight will no doubt tell us a lot more; but without it's benefit we have to take the best advice that's available. I would rather avoid this virus thank you.  

2 hours ago, Bi11 said:

Phil is right to suggest that this virus is not as lethal as Spanish Flu but it seems to be very infectious with a death rate of about 2.3%, rising steeply with the patient's age.  It can also leave permanent damage to the lungs of survivors. 

Flu, of course, does sometimes kill thousands over the winter but this has to potential to kill millions if not handled correctly.  Hindsight will no doubt tell us a lot more; but without it's benefit we have to take the best advice that's available. I would rather avoid this virus thank you.  

There were 2 waves of Spanish flu with the 2nd much more deadly than the first, so simple comparisons to C-19 aren't looking at the whole picture. Some things to also consider are:

1 whilst the 1st wave was 'typical' in that it tended to kill the old and the very young, the 2nd wave was far more deadly to those between 5 and 55!

2. knowledge about viral infections and the standard of care available were considerably lower 100 years ago than now.

2 hours ago, Bi11 said:

Before everybody castigates poor old Phildog for his opinions, it would be a good idea for us to look at the facts rather than the headlines. 2.3% is the death rate among those tested and found to be positive, not of the infected population. Those tested are not randomly tested, they have either presented at hospital or GP surgeries with relatively severe symptoms or as a precaution, and many will have been in the high risk group. I believe that actual figures of about a 0.7 % death rate were predicted by the WHO recently, but of course even they might be being a tad pessimistic. Truth is, when a virus presents with a degree of severity ranging from asymptomatic to lethal, we simply don't, nor will we know the whole picture until whole populations are tested. Compared to seasonal flu, which depending on who you believe is running at between 8 and 17000 deaths a year, corona may yet prove to be no worse, although there is no doubting it's potential to be just that, and of course it does present a terrific threat to at risk groups. When the dust has settled, it will be interesting to see how much higher death rates from depression and the psychological damage inflicted on those who's livelihoods rely on social mobility become. Personally I will withstand the constrictions of self isolation, albeit reluctantly, until the shelves are emptied of red wine by the selfish sods who appear to be stocking up for a five year containment period on other consumables. After that, who knows.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

The 2.3% figure that I quoted is the figure that the Chinese have come up with.  No doubt it will depend on various factors including the quality of available health care for those hit badly by the virus and indeed the accuracy of the figures thrown up by the testing procedure. I don't know what the Korean figures are but they seem to be carrying out the most thorough testing for this coronavirus.

Incidentally, I don't take flu lightly.  It killed my mother aged 40 back in the 1960s.  As LTS says, and I mentioned elsewhere, the Spanish flu was said to have taken the lives of fit young people which fortunately this coronavirus doesn't appear to do.

45 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

The 2.3% figure that I quoted is the figure that the Chinese have come up with.  No doubt it will depend on various factors including the quality of available health care for those hit badly by the virus and indeed the accuracy of the figures thrown up by the testing procedure. I don't know what the Korean figures are but they seem to be carrying out the most thorough testing for this coronavirus.

Incidentally, I don't take flu lightly.  It killed my mother aged 40 back in the 1960s.  As LTS says, and I mentioned elsewhere, the Spanish flu was said to have taken the lives of fit young people which fortunately this coronavirus doesn't appear to do.

I understand that Bi11 - the point I was making was that you can only base deaths as a percentage of those known to have the condition. There could be double, treble, or a hundred times more infected but not affected. To find out for sure, we would need to have tested EVERYBODY as soon as the virus emerged - neither practical or affordable. It can last apparently as little as two or three days, which makes measurement impossible. Therefore it's possible that PD could, but most likely not, be correct with his figures.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I understand that Bi11 - the point I was making was that you can only base deaths as a percentage of those known to have the condition. There could be double, treble, or a hundred times more infected but not affected. To find out for sure, we would need to have tested EVERYBODY as soon as the virus emerged - neither practical or affordable. It can last apparently as little as two or three days, which makes measurement impossible. Therefore it's possible that PD could, but most likely not, be correct with his figures.

Indeed, which is why decisions are being made upon the data currently available rather than based upon delusional "it'll be reight" experts.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I accept that Grumpy. 

Our next job is working out how we can both self isolate and look after the grandchildren now that the schools are closing.

1 hour ago, Bi11 said:

I accept that Grumpy. 

Our next job is working out how we can both self isolate and look after the grandchildren now that the schools are closing.

I sympathise - it’s an impossible conundrum.

George Bernard Shaw.

My opinion is that SKY TV who basically fund this sport should be the ones who cough up the money.They are wealthy.

They should advance the clubs,all clubs 6 months monies so the players can get paid their basic contract money along with any other running costs.

Right now this year it is gong to be a case of surviving and getting through this.

14 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

My opinion is that SKY TV who basically fund this sport should be the ones who cough up the money.They are wealthy.

They should advance the clubs,all clubs 6 months monies so the players can get paid their basic contract money along with any other running costs.

Right now this year it is gong to be a case of surviving and getting through this.

Sky have a contract with the sport that RL is currently unable to fulfil, the same as other sports notably soccer. Equally they have contracts with their customers that they are in great danger of being unable to fulfil, leading for growin demands for refunds and contract cancellations. Under these circumstances they are hardly likely to offer any payments that they aren't obliged to make and may indeed seek to reduce their already contracted payments.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Ok, of a population of +-65m, what % us tge death total? China has now reported it's 1st day of zero new cases, which must be a plus. However, I had no intention of setting in motion a worldwide diplomatic incident!! It was simply pointing out the small chance of catching this thing in say in a 500 crowd, reasonably spread, at The Mount. I also now doubt that there'll be any further action before August, if in fact at all of the 2020 season.

Archived