Club costs

HarrogateKnights

If the season is cancelled which is could well be, how much would a weekly costs be to run the club without matches. I suppose we are in a good position that we are part time and no reserves. We have 23 part time contracted players not sure how contracts are, if its a base rate then play and tries bonuses. 2 years ago base average for a championship player was £100 per week plus bonuses. So easily £2300 maybe more We have Fordy full time who must be on approx £500 per week? We then have Chris Spurr as a part time coach and office staff. So realistically we could be looking at a base wage bill of £4000 a week. I don't know if this would be mutually adjusted as the players could work more instead of play rugby. It could be devastating for clubs otherwise. If this goes on until end of contracts in October ish. We could have a base wage bill of £120,000

Not sure how accurate these figures are HK, but I reckon transferring yesterdays game to Fev cost us, and Rochdale a few quid. Attendance given in LE was 400, which would be around 500 less than we could have expected at BC. That equates to c. £6,000, which even after expenses, would have meant a couple of thousand pounds to both clubs. Would have been very handy over the coming weeks.

43 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Not sure how accurate these figures are HK, but I reckon transferring yesterdays game to Fev cost us, and Rochdale a few quid. Attendance given in LE was 400, which would be around 500 less than we could have expected at BC. That equates to c. £6,000, which even after expenses, would have meant a couple of thousand pounds to both clubs. Would have been very handy over the coming weeks.

Yeah true if the players are playing in front of crowds but if they dont play we will still have staffing costs and the outlay across a 23 man squad plus a full time coach has to be a fair amount although not as much as the full time teams out there

4 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

If the season is cancelled which is could well be, how much would a weekly costs be to run the club without matches. I suppose we are in a good position that we are part time and no reserves. We have 23 part time contracted players not sure how contracts are, if its a base rate then play and tries bonuses. 2 years ago base average for a championship player was £100 per week plus bonuses. So easily £2300 maybe more We have Fordy full time who must be on approx £500 per week? We then have Chris Spurr as a part time coach and office staff. So realistically we could be looking at a base wage bill of £4000 a week. I don't know if this would be mutually adjusted as the players could work more instead of play rugby. It could be devastating for clubs otherwise. If this goes on until end of contracts in October ish. We could have a base wage bill of £120,000

Think your way off with your costs H.K.

Just now, spanishknight said:

Think your way off with your costs H.K.

I have based it on average pay of a part-time championship player of £5000 per year (no playing bonuses) Fordy being on £30,000 per year (cant be far off) and a bit extra to cover coaches, trainers and office staff. We rely on volunteers alot and if not playing wouldn't have match day costs such associated with stadium use, granted we wouldnt have income. Based on 23 part time players and 1 full time staff how much do you think it would be a week based on above

18 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Cant see any player playing for £100 plus winning bonus, players were getting that at Clarence St.

Its a bit vague on exact amounts as they get a base rate then if they play a lump sum which is often - £200-300 per match either way if the season stops we will still have to cover the base amount which could mean temporary cash flow issues or borrowing 

No club can survive if you play behind closed doors as the players and staff will still need to be paid,i think the RFL should suspend the league for at least 4weeks and look at it again to see what the situation is in the country.

Wouldn’t be fair to discuss York players salaries but I believe they get a lump sum at the start of the season then bonuses for win/draw/loss - there’s a book about Batley Bulldogs written 3 years ago and it’s said players got around £5k lump sum then I think around £200-300 a win. So you could be looking at £8k-£10k for most players. 

Thats a significant cost. Don’t want to worry people but I hope clubs going bankrupt is the biggest of our worries in the months ahead. I believe countries around the world are hopeful all because China state they don’t have many cases now. I wouldn’t believe a thing China says right now. As soon as a non secretive country (where the state doesn’t control what the population can do, say and read) comes out and says cases are on the decline, that’s when I’ll sleep better.

4 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Wouldn’t be fair to discuss York players salaries but I believe they get a lump sum at the start of the season then bonuses for win/draw/loss - there’s a book about Batley Bulldogs written 3 years ago and it’s said players got around £5k lump sum then I think around £200-300 a win. So you could be looking at £8k-£10k for most players. 

Thats a significant cost. Don’t want to worry people but I hope clubs going bankrupt is the biggest of our worries in the months ahead. I believe countries around the world are hopeful all because China state they don’t have many cases now. I wouldn’t believe a thing China says right now. As soon as a non secretive country (where the state doesn’t control what the population can do, say and read) comes out and says cases are on the decline, that’s when I’ll sleep better.

To be fair if contracts are of similar we should be fine. It will be interesting to see as the weeks go by how if affects but hopefully everyone is ok and NRL is still on 

On 17/03/2020 at 07:00, AB Knight said:

Many clubs, including mine, pay players basic contracts over 12 months nowadays to help their cash flow if nothing else. Winning pay as a proportion is far less than it was in the "good old days" so actual match fees will be relatively low with most players. "No play, no pay" is very unusual except for a few specific cases.

There are a number of RFL regulations which stipulate the structure of contracts, intended to protect players from sharp practice, based upon the standard RFL contract.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Many clubs, including mine, pay players basic contracts over 12 months nowadays to help their cash flow if nothing else. Winning pay as a proportion is far less than it was in the "good old days" so actual match fees will be relatively low with most players. "No play, no pay" is very unusual except for a few specific cases.

There are a number of RFL regulations which stipulate the structure of contracts, intended to protect players from sharp practice, based upon the standard RFL contract.

So if a club has 25 players signed on only 17 can play. Do the other 8 get paid. Just asking

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

14 minutes ago, DEANO said:

So if a club has 25 players signed on only 17 can play. Do the other 8 get paid. Just asking

I'd presume that the players will get paid for turning up for training to cover petrol costs and any other costs there might incur and those players who play on a Sunday will get a match fee with a bonus if the Knights win.

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

They have a guaranteed basic contract which has to be paid, just as it woud if they were injured, for example. They don't receive any match fees or bonuses, of course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 16/03/2020 at 13:59, HaxbyKnight said:

What about HMRC's  cut lol

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

They have a guaranteed basic contract which has to be paid, just as it woud if they were injured, for example. They don't receive any match fees or bonuses, of course.

Some bonuses (eg league position bonus) and other costs such as car/housing/medical provision still have to be paid even when players are not playing

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Some bonuses (eg league position bonus) and other costs such as car/housing/medical provision still have to be paid even when players are not playing

Indeed, but for PT players this wouldn't be the norm.

Archived