The TRL Virtual Pub

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Very South Lancashire

Magic and the best corner of the virtual pub all the Clients of the Giro Arms drink in this bit too!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Here at "The Wiltshire Watering Hole" there is a lot of cider available. 

Great news!  Draft perry too, I hope!

Tonight's offerings.

image.thumb.png.9eb020220a3560d8721f4bcb1864b00f.png

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

Now this is the sort of thing I love about TRL! ?

Some folk still talk about that legendary night the 'old' forum closed down and the regulars had a party and trashed the place. ?

Wonder what lobster based snacks are available behind the bar...? Anyone dare ask...? 

Yeuck

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

To foil hoarders, all the bogroll in the pub toilets will be Izal from this point onwards.

Aah, you're getting me all nostalgic, Futtocks - used it a time or two and still have the rectal scarring to prove it!  Izal made a disinfectant fluid too, which no doubt inspired this nursery rhyme parody in Verse and Worse, a Faber Editions' collection of humorous poetry:

"Ding, dong bell, Pussie's in the well, but now we've put some Izal down, and never mind the smell!"

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Tonight's offerings.

image.thumb.png.9eb020220a3560d8721f4bcb1864b00f.png

Taylors Landlord?  Sam Smiths Yorkshire Stingo? Youngs London Special, Rudgate Mild (a strong mild, goes down like milk)   Bushmills Black Bush Whiskey.    The RL on loop should be Leigh v Fev from last September.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

To foil hoarders, all the bogroll in the pub toilets will be Izal from this point onwards.

Why are people hoarding foil? ?

Clement Attlee.

15 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Wot, no bottles of Corona Beer? 

….just asking!

Sold out after someone Tweeted drinking 20 bottles of it made you immune.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Yes, but only because you called it by its proper name. 

There is no such thing as pear (or any other fruit mix) cider. Cider is apple! 

At one time, WR, I would have completely agreed with you.

However, you and I both know that proper perry is made with special pears, not suitable for anything else, and, in this country, grown in a fairly small area concentrated on the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire border, around towns such as Ledbury.

So the problem then is what to call the utter p*ss made from concentrated culinary or dessert pear juice.  Reluctantly, I can see a case for calling it pear cider, if only to ensure the good name of 'perry' is not sullied.

Like you, I hate the growing trend for calling cider in this country 'apple cider', which is an American importation.  You are absolutely right; just 'cider' means it is made from apples, or should do.  The irony is that we have imported the 'wrong' phrase, as, if I have got this right, 'apple cider' in the USA tends to mean a non-alcoholic drink, whereas the proper stuff is called 'hard cider'.  Is it the same in Canada?  Could any local TWP fans confirm or correct this?

The French cider/perry-making area in Normandy and Brittany also uses commendably simple terms - 'cidre' and 'poire'.

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

What time does the cockle man usually come in?

Cockles, cockles!!! We have lobster round these parts, we have Mobyclaw and Clawphin, take your pick

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

Cockles, cockles!!! We have lobster round these parts, we have Mobyclaw and Clawphin, take your pick

That's going to end well ?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

What kind of whelkome is that?

We can do without people flexing their muscles.

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I didn't know it was comedy night in this pub on a tuesday

You think that's bad?

It's karaoke night tomorrow.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I didn't know it was comedy night in this pub on a tuesday

It's a virtual pub so every night is comedy, curry or kareoke night etc etc so long as they don't spoil the view of when the ref signals TRY for Hesketh anything goes!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

28 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Perhaps I will help myself to some nuts instead!

And a pint of Single Hop too please, Barman.

I'm not your servant. Wait your turn I'm busy. Booldy irregulars nip in here 'cos their usual is shut.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

At one time, WR, I would have completely agreed with you.

However, you and I both know that proper perry is made with special pears, not suitable for anything else, and, in this country, grown in a fairly small area concentrated on the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire border, around towns such as Ledbury.

So the problem then is what to call the utter p*ss made from concentrated culinary or dessert pear juice.  Reluctantly, I can see a case for calling it pear cider, if only to ensure the good name of 'perry' is not sullied.

Like you, I hate the growing trend for calling cider in this country 'apple cider', which is an American importation.  You are absolutely right; just 'cider' means it is made from apples, or should do.  The irony is that we have imported the 'wrong' phrase, as, if I have got this right, 'apple cider' in the USA tends to mean a non-alcoholic drink, whereas the proper stuff is called 'hard cider'.  Is it the same in Canada?  Could any local TWP fans confirm or correct this?

The French cider/perry-making area in Normandy and Brittany also uses commendably simple terms - 'cidre' and 'poire'.

Talking about Perry i find the story of babycham quite interesting - that is a Perry and from Shepton Mallet which is outside your area. Also the first alcoholic drink ever advertised on UK TV

Archived