RFL- put the begging bowl away

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Except this was EU money wasn't it? 

But otherwise every country might well be ok to do their own money as they see fit.  As I see what is being done for the uk so far is hundreds of millions are being put forward as guaranteed loans. 

But my worry us that non viable football clubs who have never worried about making a fair living are going to get loads a money, "loans", at the expence of say RL.

Please let this thing end sooner rather than later...

Depending on your point of view there's no such thing as "EU money" but regardless I'd imagine the EU would follow its leading members and the USA in this policy.

I agree, for RL's sake this needs to be over as soon as possible. Football will be our barometer I believe and they seem to be planning for most of April to be wiped out. Much more than that and clubs are really going to feel it.

Do you or anyone else think that clubs may be able to access the loans etc that the chancellor announced?

1 hour ago, Damien said:

With what?

Archived footage for a starters. 

There's more content types available, educational footage (from coaches / players - can be done from home) - it just requires positive thinking and a can do attitude.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

33 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Archived footage for a starters. 

As a starter Leeds are streaming Leeds vs St Helens from 1997 here (Harris's second game for Leeds IIRC) as part of a schedule of two games a day until this is over:

9 hours ago, wiggler said:

What do you think?

I think you underestimate the financial, economic and social impact that the response to this virus epidemic will achieve. 

I genuinely believe that more people will be destroyed by the measures than by the virus. 

ps I’m speaking globally! 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Depending on your point of view there's no such thing as "EU money" but regardless I'd imagine the EU would follow its leading members and the USA in this policy.

I agree, for RL's sake this needs to be over as soon as possible. Football will be our barometer I believe and they seem to be planning for most of April to be wiped out. Much more than that and clubs are really going to feel it.

Do you or anyone else think that clubs may be able to access the loans etc that the chancellor announced?

I would think sport would be low on the list of loans... But wealthy football clubs certainly should be low.  On the other hand small clubs like RL clubs would not be needing relatively large loans because we are pretty piddling in the great schemes of things.

21 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t argue the RFL needs to act in the best interests of the sport, but a search of BBC (I must admit I got sick of searching a comprehensive sport check) sport website only seems to have the sport of RL with an article titled around the likely need of government support.

That’s my point. Why did RL need to be the one sport with a headline like that? Why did RL need to pitch itself as a sport that is likely desperate for a handout when there are small business owners and employees also drastically affected and in turn have such immediate distress on their doorstep?

It smacks of insensitivity.

Because it doesn’t have the money that some other sports do...just a cold hard fact.

On 17/03/2020 at 10:31, wiggler said:

I find it rather unsavoury that as soon as rugby league is called off it appears that, straight away, the RFL is going to ask the government for financial support.  

Any financial support the government might provide would come out of tax revenue or public borrowing.  The same tax revenue that is under enormous pressure at the moment to meet increased healthcare costs.  I can imagine a lot of zero hour contract workers will not be getting work in the leisure industries over the next few weeks and I guess there will be little or no overtime either.  VAT is also going to be savaged, albeit over a slightly longer timescale.   

That means tax revenues are going to FALL over the next few months, at least until the proposed restrictions are lifted.  I also think it will be quite hard to increase public borrowing atm with such low interest rates, so that way of raising cash may not be feasible, particularly as other countries may also be looking to do the same.

The country is likely to have less tax revenue to spend at a time when public expenditure is likely to rise so I think the RFL should put its begging bowl away - at least until the country (and indeed the world) has got through this situation.  The haste with which that bowl has come out is rather tasteless.  There are currently more important things to spend our money on than propping up poorly financially managed sports.

What do you think?

Taxes are not raised to fund spending. The government prints money or borrows it and then uses tax to take it out of the system again to contain inflation. There's a subtle difference. It can be left in the system without raising taxes which is what is likely to happen here. Note that the BoE has been printing money for decades, it has a fancy name "quntative easing" as "printing money" upsets people 

The government can print or borrow as much money as it wants. A country cannot go bankrupt PROVIDED the debt is denominated is the home currency. Countries go bankrupt when they borrow in dollars as the debt cannot be cancelled. South America is still there though!!

If the government sells debt in sterling for example we can cancel the debt. Not recommended but it can be done 

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

??‍♂️ ❌ ? ?️♂️

?????‍♂️

Look I actually take your point and thought the same myself, but the RFL has to consider what's in the interests of the sport all things considered and even if there's some risk it looks crass, they'd be panned even more for inaction.  

I must disagree with the OP on this topic.

I get the impression that in regard to this matter the RFL are being brilliant.

Not only that,I was massively impressed by the update Mr Beaumont put out on the Leigh website last night.

To add to that,another wise man has stated the RFL are doing a grand job.

Worrying timescale of a month...https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/salford-boss-ian-blease-calls-21715348

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

In my opinion seeing as SKY TV are the ones who fund rugby league at this moment in time,they should be giving the RFL the monies so the RFL can give clubs the necessary advancement of money to ensure that the players get paid etc etc.

It should not be the Government who cough up the money.

Besides SKY and the people than own and run it have the money.Let them pay.

Archived