No test series

21 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Surely no more than unilaterally cancelling an international tournament in favour of a domestic one would do. 

I would say yes, much more.

My answer was to the theory that Australia could send a B or C team to compete whilst SoO takes place. When Australia goes on to win that event that would set international footy in Aus back 10 years.

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would say yes, much more.

My answer was to the theory that Australia could send a B or C team to compete whilst SoO takes place. When Australia goes on to win that event that would set international footy in Aus back 10 years.

That is the worry. Assuming state of origin occurs at the end of the season I think a four nations or six nation with New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji (+Samoa and PNG - may be a bit ambitious) would be best. The end of year Aus v Kiwi test is also predicted to be cancelled so these other nations need the games/money.

NRL.com have just posted a story saying all mid season oceana cup tests are now cancelled with them to be rescheduled in November. Teams included being New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG and Cook Islands.

Maybe an idea to select a Europe based Australian team and market it as a charity series for good causes , maybe we would buy into it and show a good side of Humanity ? With a 1000 people a day dying and the numbers rising maybe we could do some good for people that need it?

2 hours ago, iangidds said:

Maybe an idea to select a Europe based Australian team and market it as a charity series for good causes , maybe we would buy into it and show a good side of Humanity ? With a 1000 people a day dying and the numbers rising maybe we could do some good for people that need it?

The trouble is the RFL need the money which is why they would want to stage it - if it's a charity event the RFL get nothing

28 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The trouble is the RFL need the money which is why they would want to stage it - if it's a charity event the RFL get nothing

Yes, the charity needing money would be the sport of rugby league in this country.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 18/03/2020 at 11:29, Clogiron said:

According to Fox Sports Aus the NRL is expected to announce on Thursday that Australia will be withdrawing from the test series so that they can stage  the State of Origin at that time. As the game's biggest money spinner they view it as vital to the future of the game's finance's down under.

Make of that what you will?

Albeit, I would like to see a test series as in my opinion it is the ultimate our game can offer us, I can totally see the reason why the NRL would take such an action, after all charity begins at home.

On 18/03/2020 at 12:08, scotchy1 said:

Tonga, Fiji, Samoa 4 nations. Use it as a chance to introduce the teams for next years world cup and build towards that. 

There's some top quality games there and i think it would sell well. Maybe double headers and see if we can get two games per week on the BBC (if you want to really really push it, go for two double headers and combine it with some european championship games and try and get 4 games on tv)

Have those nations RL governing bodies enough money to finance a trip? It would be 2 trips to the Northern Hemisphere inside 12 months.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What even the Roundball game David, surely you can't stoop that low?

In normality I can't wait to turn it off as soon as it appears on the TV.

Hah ! Desperate times my friend 

On 18/03/2020 at 11:30, muckymunksy said:

Better for us we can extend the season to December start the new one in March. 

We can extend the season,  but no need to scrap it so far... as I've said, we just scrap the loop fixtures and extend the season if needs be. I do not see the season restarting until June/July, so extend it to Christmas if not later.

Then run next season without loops and create space to start it later. A shorter 2021 season gives time for the WC.

And as I have already said, we should put on an origin series ourselves. But we need to give as much certainty as possible. Now.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, the charity needing money would be the sport of rugby league in this country.

Hence we have an origin series of our own at end of season, with hopefully good gates to help the RFL.  Perhaps ticket prices could be cut to 80% ??!!

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Hence we have an origin series of our own at end of season, with hopefully good gates to help the RFL.  Perhaps ticket prices could be cut to 80% ??!!

If all else fails, I actually think an end of season English origin/roses series wouldn't be a terrible idea post-season. Bringing back all the NRL players for it would be a good selling point. 1-2 games of that, followed by an England test against France might be a decent few weeks of rep footy.

10 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

8 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

If all else fails, I actually think an end of season English origin/roses series wouldn't be a terrible idea post-season. Bringing back all the NRL players for it would be a good selling point. 1-2 games of that, followed by an England test against France might be a decent few weeks of rep footy.

The RL viewing public, that is those who actually attend games seems to have fallen out with the inter County games, it has been tried on a few occasions and fallen flat on it's face why would in your opinion(s) it proove to be popular if resurected again.

And GC, you say include NRL player's, have you no decency man, how would that go down in Queensland or NSW if it was suggested to select some Kiwi's, English or Islanders for their origin repsides, I know the odd one has snook in like Lam (b. PNG) and Civoniceva (b. Fiji) who have not been born within the state boundaries, but some circumstances away from the norm allowed it happen, just allowing NRL player's to be selected per se in a English origin/roses team as you put it just doesn't comprehend.

I suppose it could be a West v East club select, but I think that would not resinate very well with the public, it certainly wouldn't for me.

And as for a test v France I have attended 3 of the last 4, the one I missed was the last one, the reason the previous 3 were no more than "contested training sessions" for the English, the majority of French lads who would be selected have no interest and cry off for one reason or another, I took the same respect.

Dear Mr Stottle... you ask "why"??

WHY???

Because we are in an unprecedented situation that's WHY!!!

All you want to do is delve back into the past and wallow in the mistakes and misery of it.  As it stands we will not know what the health of the nation (any nation!) will be in 6 months (it would be good IF Aussie based players could be brought back)... But in any event we should plan NOW for SOMETHING to complete the best season we could finish... this season and next as well.

But you carry on and moan away and offer ###### all to improve our prospects.

14 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why not a chance to do something a bit unique and have a Tri Series between England, New South Wales and Queensland?...

Imagine when ( if ) we lost ? Never hear the end of it !

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Imagine when ( if ) we lost ? Never hear the end of it !

We just lost to PNG and Tonga. I don't think it really matters anymore!

Wouldn't mind us trying something unique in the given circumstances if we can't have a test series.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It all depends upon when, realistically, we expect sport to start again.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived