Catalans screwed

Well Barnyia you know by living there how much the French love to dish out fines I live between the UK and Spain and drive through France 6 times and back a year with the wife and kids for school holidays over the last 3 months I have received around 20 speeding fines as the frogs made a massive dash  for cash off us brits before Brexit:(

You know those latin countries France/Spain/Italy they love their fines and uniforms LOL:) As my wife says latin countries are always one step away from fascism they love it.

27 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Well Barnyia you know by living there how much the French love to dish out fines I live between the UK and Spain and drive through France 6 times and back a year with the wife and kids for school holidays over the last 3 months I have received around 20 speeding fines as the frogs made a massive dash  for cash off us brits before Brexit:(

You know those latin countries France/Spain/Italy they love their fines and uniforms LOL:) As my wife says latin countries are always one step away from fascism they love it.

it could be a mad dash for fines but equally it may have been because you were speeding and therefore should be fined...  how come after the first few you didnt just stick to the speed limit? i'll happily blame the french for a lot of things but enforcing the law seems harsh.. 

47 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Did they fine you because you weren't speeding?  

55 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sounds like you deserved to be fined.

56 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

It's a shame your wife didnt say - Slow Down.....

Getting back to the original topic - Catalans are in exactly the same boat as every other club at the moment. This is where the clubs owners really show their worth to the sport. Its down to them to put in place measures to minimize the impact on them individually and give themselves the best chance of survival. In parallel the RFL should be pushing the government for a financial support package to cover rugby league as a whole.

Both have to work together and do their bit if the game is to survive.

Sports clubs are probably right at the bottom of the Governments priorities at the moment (and rightly so) so I don't hold out much hope of the RFL being able to achieve very much. This puts even more emphasis on the individual clubs implementing whatever they need to in order to survive.

Sadly I do think some clubs could go under as they just don't have the financial stability to survive such an event as the coronavirus pandemic. Those with cash reserves, wealthy owners, low debts etc. will probably be OK (though worse off). As harsh as this sounds, Its likely to be survival of the fittest in the sporting world, not just in rugby league.

When this is all over I do think the sport will need a serious reassessment and we could well end up with a structure that's different to what we have now. But i'm hopeful that whoever is left will rebuild a stronger & more resilient sport and rather than be all doom & gloom will see the post coronavirus era as an opportunity. 

In fact the cynic in me thinks those strong clubs who are left should capitalize on other sports clubs like in yawnion who are in trouble - the RFU will no doubt be thinking exactly the same about rugby league. Their history suggests they wouldn't hesitate to capitalize.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Did they fine you because you weren't speeding?  

Point taken Lowdesert however the majority were in areas where the speed limits had been changed WITHOUT CHANGING THE ROAD SIGNS (Thousands have been caught out this way) 

The DVLA has been in meltdown with the French dash for brexit cash I read somewhere there were 3 requests for drivers details last March and then in a 2 month period over 130000.

It is also not vice versa the French authorities will not supply the DVLA with French drivers details.

Back to the rugby now:) 

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Getting back to the original topic - Catalans are in exactly the same boat as every other club at the moment. This is where the clubs owners really show their worth to the sport. Its down to them to put in place measures to minimize the impact on them individually and give themselves the best chance of survival. In parallel the RFL should be pushing the government for a financial support package to cover rugby league as a whole.

Both have to work together and do their bit if the game is to survive.

Sports clubs are probably right at the bottom of the Governments priorities at the moment (and rightly so) so I don't hold out much hope of the RFL being able to achieve very much. This puts even more emphasis on the individual clubs implementing whatever they need to in order to survive.

Sadly I do think some clubs could go under as they just don't have the financial stability to survive such an event as the coronavirus pandemic. Those with cash reserves, wealthy owners, low debts etc. will probably be OK (though worse off). As harsh as this sounds, Its likely to be survival of the fittest in the sporting world, not just in rugby league.

When this is all over I do think the sport will need a serious reassessment and we could well end up with a structure that's different to what we have now. But i'm hopeful that whoever is left will rebuild a stronger & more resilient sport and rather than be all doom & gloom will see the post coronavirus era as an opportunity. 

In fact the cynic in me thinks those strong clubs who are left should capitalize on other sports clubs like in yawnion who are in trouble - the RFU will no doubt be thinking exactly the same about rugby league. Their history suggests they wouldn't hesitate to capitalize.

Thanks for an excellent synopsis, St T, of both the current situation and the future potential.

Archived