What Shall We Talk About?

There’s a lack of Rugby talk at the minute, understandably, and a lot of speculation and ifs and buts around Covid-19, which is fair enough, however, I want to talk about Rugby in some form. 

I’ve come up with a couple of ideas that generates a bit of Rugby chat;

- Challenge Cup Finals. Each week/two weeks/day/whatever we discuss a Cup Final from a bygone era, much like the matchday threads. I’m sure there will be footage online from most finals going back a fair way so for anyone who can’t remember them/wants to reminisce we can add that. 

- Seasons in the past. Similar to the above but seasons as a whole. 

Anyone fancy it?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s a lack of Rugby talk at the minute, understandably, and a lot of speculation and ifs and buts around Covid-19, which is fair enough, however, I want to talk about Rugby in some form. 

- Challenge Cup Finals. Each week/two weeks/day/whatever we discuss a Cup Final from a bygone era, much like the matchday threads. I’m sure there will be footage online from most finals going back a fair way so for anyone who can’t remember them/wants to reminisce we can add that. 

Anyone fancy it?

Alex Murphy was unconscious when he left the pitch at Wembley in 71 ?

I wasn't interested in RL but my mates used to bring me programmes, 10 for tanner(2p now) sick of the same programmes after a while i went my self. I got hooked at the game and have been going ever since, 1971 Fev v Hull. 

Wembley 1984 was my first cup final, I recall travelling down as with my dad on the Wembley special from Wigan, £10 fare and £4 for the ticket I think. We took corned beef sandwiches and a large flask of tea. It was only my 3rd or 4th game of RL and all I remember of it was Joe Lydon scoring those two scorching tries for Widnes and thinking "oooo, he's fast". Things got a lot better the next year with Brett Kenny on board and from that point onwards I lost all interest in football.

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Anyone fancy it?

It's a good idea. There are a lot of old games on YouTube, and clubs seem to be sharing plenty at the moment. Maybe there can be a match thread with the video posted and we can all argue about that match again, like you say big finals or other key games. Some slightly older ones may be good. 

Grew up in Wrexham, which is dominated by football, but my mum's from StHelens so used to occasionally watch Saints with my grandad. My first visit to Knowsley Road was probably some time in the late sixties.

My first, and so far only Challenge Cup final was in 1972. We travelled down by coach from StHelens and I remember there was an accident on the motorway on the way down, and we only got into the ground 5 minutes before kickoff, just in time to see Graham Rees score the first try. We were stood on the top step at the scoreboard end, directly behind the goalposts.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's a good idea. There are a lot of old games on YouTube, and clubs seem to be sharing plenty at the moment. Maybe there can be a match thread with the video posted and we can all argue about that match again, like you say big finals or other key games. Some slightly older ones may be good. 

I agree, it is a good idea.

Best to start new, individual threads for each specific game/season, rather than have them all going on in here as others who might be interested in joining in will miss them.

Anyone want to kick one off for starters?

8 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Here’s a good one (and will show the age of people in here) what was the first season you started watching RL

This is as good a thread as any to mention my first ever live rugby league game. I forget my age but I was very young and watching a local match in Terrigal.

I remember being startled by a player who head butted someone. Nobody seemed to care and the match continued.

That’s the only part of the match I remember and my first ever live rugby league memory.

Archived