Classic RL on YouTube

With plenty of free time ahead of us, let's start a thread of some of the best hidden RL gems on YouTube.

I'll start with a few of my favourites:

Short news report on the proposed Calder merger of Fev, Cas and Wakey...

Featherstone 12-7 Hull KR, from a 1992 episode of Scrumdown...

Featherstone 12-6 Castleford, from an 89-90 episode of Scrumdown...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

That report on mergers in the OP is an absolute belter. Does make you wonder what would have happened in things would have worked out differently. 

Proper sliding doors stuff. 

My favourite is the quote from Steve Wagner, Rovers chairman at the time: "If you refuse [the Murdoch money for merging] there might not be a game in two season's time." 25 years later...

16 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

Proper sliding doors stuff. 

My favourite is the quote from Steve Wagner, Rovers chairman at the time: "If you refuse [the Murdoch money for merging] there might not be a game in two season's time." 25 years later...

I also found it interesting how there was almost a certainty that the game would boom and become worldwide, moving completely away from the heartlands. Interesting to reflect a quarter of a century on! 

Part 1 of'Another Bloody Sunday' - the rest should follow on autoplay. I'm sure there was a complete version uploaded somewhere, but this is a great documentary in any form.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

An episode of Go with Noakes, which features Castleford RLFC, Mal Reilly and a (very brief) appearance of John Kear with hair.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

An Australian documentary, again in multiple parts. Here's the first episode, covering 1908-1939.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, if we're talking vintage violence...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's something I uploaded myself. I already knew of this record, but when the great man died, I actually tracked down a copy of the single and ripped it to digital.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The 10 minutes that made me a Trinity fan for life. David Topliss masterclass.  

The amount of loo roll being thrown around there - like burning £10 notes.

8 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I also found it interesting how there was almost a certainty that the game would boom and become worldwide, moving completely away from the heartlands. Interesting to reflect a quarter of a century on! 

The national profile RL had back then was massively higher - early 1990s was probably our peak for that. RL is bigger and richer now than it was then,  in terms of the number of people watching live and the number of people earning a full-time living from the game. The difference is that football and RU are both way bigger than they were then. Football's premier league had only been going for 3 years, RU had had leagues for a few seasons in the UK, but was still nominally amateur (and with Orrell and West Hartlepool in the top division) and attendances significantly lower than RL. The ARL/Superleague war in Australia probably had more effect in terms of holding RL back in world terms than not merging 3 clubs to form Calder etc.

15 hours ago, hrtbps said:

With plenty of free time ahead of us, let's start a thread of some of the best hidden RL gems on YouTube.

I'll start with a few of my favourites:

Short news report on the proposed Calder merger of Fev, Cas and Wakey...

Featherstone 12-7 Hull KR, from a 1992 episode of Scrumdown...

Featherstone 12-6 Castleford, from an 89-90 episode of Scrumdown...

Brings back so many enjoyable memories of Monday mornings, we had to record it as we weren't allowed to stay up to watch it.

At a time when i had started following the game properly, looking back the game was very much raw and enjoyable then.

Interesting to see the many changes over the years, Watkins complaining that there's too many dropped balls due to the attacking line being flat, you can also see just how deep the attack was at times, but also that the Fev winger had to try and keep warm as he was getting no service, imagine a winger in the modern game being stuck out on the touchline with nothing to do.

Also players accepting referee's decisions, no appealing for penalties, no arms waving or flapping about, the Cas no try in the first half would see players kicking off, shouting and surrounding the referee in protest, here, they just got on with it!

Archived