Classic RL on YouTube

11 minutes ago, meast said:

Can 2015 really be called "classic"?

I'd have called the Tonga v England game that OurLeague re-streamed on the weekend a classic. It just isn't old.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of work to clear the yawn off my youtube pages first of all. I don't know and can't imagine where they got the idea I wanted to be isolated with kick and clap for a few weeks. Now that would be exile with a capital EX!

125 years of TGG has some beautiful images on it but isn't long enough.

The Greatest Try was a real disappointment in the number and predictability of the vote choices. This was a really good thought that needed a bit more work and options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkuDAtfmxV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQWEoMG8eA

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 18/03/2020 at 15:46, hrtbps said:

With plenty of free time ahead of us, let's start a thread of some of the best hidden RL gems on YouTube.

I'll start with a few of my favourites:

Short news report on the proposed Calder merger of Fev, Cas and Wakey...

Featherstone 12-7 Hull KR, from a 1992 episode of Scrumdown...

Featherstone 12-6 Castleford, from an 89-90 episode of Scrumdown...

Got a bit emotional watching the first one. Real crossroads for the game. I wonder how it would have turned out if we had gone ahead with all the mergers. Miss those types of games from when I was a kid.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

15 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Got a bit emotional watching the first one. Real crossroads for the game. I wonder how it would have turned out if we had gone ahead with all the mergers. Miss those types of games from when I was a kid.

Perhaps the ratings would have been better and Sky wouldn't have cut the fees back in 1999, then again maybe not.  It's entirely possible that other Sky viewers would have seen through such creations as "Calder" and not watched in that case too.

Clearly sartorial elegance in the commentary box didn't begin with Phil Clarke who hasn't, yet gone for the bow tie option.

But the action on the field is pretty good too and check out SCummings, first man into every fight, of which there are several.

10 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Re the mergers in the OP.    The film doesn't mention where the new  team would be based.Was that ever decided or did discussion not get that far.

Thank god it never happened by the way.

A new stadium between Wakefield and Castleford was the only option from memory, where have we heard that before?

21 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That feels like a lifetime ago. Quite sad when you think of the expectations of being a 'global' sport and all that money coming into the game, and looking at where we are now in terms of progression.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

That feels like a lifetime ago. Quite sad when you think of the expectations of being a 'global' sport and all that money coming into the game, and looking at where we are now in terms of progression.

Those expectations were unrealistic without serious change of the sort proposed which was so controversial.  Expectations of that sort could never be met by a league dominated by small time traditional away fan-dependent clubs, they could only be met by something wholly new and separate from them and their small time ways.

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I think the money was needed but there was a bit of delusion over what it would mean. 

3736-mipm.gif

20 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think the money was needed but there was a bit of delusion over what it would mean. 

I can remember Rugby League being on the back page of the papers throughout this period, London editions too. Obvs Murdochs influence, but can never recall a time when we're so prominent in the sporting spotlight.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It was needed, desperately in fact.  In that report Featherstone's chairman said straight out that 26 of the 32 pro clubs were insolvent.

I don't think anyone didn't want the money, the debate was over the demands to merge. I'm not sure the game would be any stronger if those mergers had gone through and I suspect a lot of the clubs would have reformed and we would have had a real mess on our hands.

3736-mipm.gif

Hi all,

I recently put together a list of some of the great documentaries and old matches that have been uploaded online. The full list is here. Please share widely with Rugby League people who may be feeling isolated at the moment.

Hundreds of hours of RL history

https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com/2020/03/21/the-peoples-game-the-rugby-league-tv-archive/

Will add some of the ones mentioned on this forum

Cheers 

Anthony 

31 minutes ago, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

I recently put together a list of some of the great documentaries and old matches that have been uploaded online. The full list is here. Please share widely with Rugby League people who may be feeling isolated at the moment.

https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com/2020/03/21/the-peoples-game-the-rugby-league-tv-archive/

Cheers 

Anthony 

Great work, sir. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

Anthony 

I enjoyed your piece relating the Wolfpack's capture of Sonny Bill Williams to the RU converts who came into the game in the past.  It's a shame that absent a lot more money in RL than is the case now, SBW will probably be the last such convert who comes over.

27 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I enjoyed your piece relating the Wolfpack's capture of Sonny Bill Williams to the RU converts who came into the game in the past.  It's a shame that absent a lot more money in RL than is the case now, SBW will probably be the last such convert who comes over.

Is SBW a true convert?

What a waste of money, by the way. Still, eyeballs.

4 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

Anthony 

Fine work collating all this.

On a slightly different tack, has anyone got a link to that Footy Show feature about The Bye Supporters Club?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, meast said:

Keighley V Huddersfield on a beautiful pitch from 1994

They must have misplaced the 30-0 cup win a year later ?

The cup win was a good day for Huddersfield supporters. IIC, one of the Keighley players made the mistake of giving Dave King a dig early in the game and King  responded with an excellent, physical performance.

3 hours ago, longboard said:

The cup win was a good day for Huddersfield supporters. IIC, one of the Keighley players made the mistake of giving Dave King a dig early in the game and King  responded with an excellent, physical performance.

It was Keighley's first home defeat for 3 years and first time they'd failed to score at home in 30 odd games or something, Dave King, Greg Austin and Simon Reynolds were like camels that day, he glided over the sand dunes to rack the points up!

Archived