Classic RL on YouTube

On 26/03/2020 at 18:53, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

I recently put together a list of some of the great documentaries and old matches that have been uploaded online. The full list is here. Please share widely with Rugby League people who may be feeling isolated at the moment.

Hundreds of hours of RL history

https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com/2020/03/21/the-peoples-game-the-rugby-league-tv-archive/

Will add some of the ones mentioned on this forum

Cheers 

Anthony 

Might be worth adding this to your selection, Anthony. It's a six-minute excerpt (dressing room scenes/match action at Derwent Park) from a 30-minute, Eric Robson-narrated Border TV documentary about Workington Town. The full version was on YouTube. I've posted a link previously, some time ago, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube. The full version features interviews with Arnie Walker, Alan Banks, Ike Southward, Andy Key etc.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got round to seeing Another Bloody Sunday courtesy of Tides of History’s website.

I can see why it’s in BFI’s collection. Excellent piece of social history and very engaging with warmth and wit (shame about the racism but I suppose it was of its time). 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Finally got round to seeing Another Bloody Sunday courtesy of Tides of History’s website.

I can see why it’s in BFI’s collection. Excellent piece of social history and very engaging with warmth and wit (shame about the racism but I suppose it was of its time). 

I always thought that the club secretary's monologue at the start of the programme had a certain Alan Bennett wistfulness to them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 28/03/2020 at 16:36, meast said:

It was Keighley's first home defeat for 3 years and first time they'd failed to score at home in 30 odd games or something, Dave King, Greg Austin and Simon Reynolds were like camels that day, he glided over the sand dunes to rack the points up!

Must of forgotten Batley beat them at keighley two seasons on the bounce 

On 30/03/2020 at 11:34, Hopping Mad said:

Might be worth adding this to your selection, Anthony. It's a six-minute excerpt (dressing room scenes/match action at Derwent Park) from a 30-minute, Eric Robson-narrated Border TV documentary about Workington Town. The full version was on YouTube. I've posted a link previously, some time ago, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube. The full version features interviews with Arnie Walker, Alan Banks, Ike Southward, Andy Key etc.

Town number three on there looks familiar ?  here is the link you were looking for 

2 hours ago, yanto said:

Town number three on there looks familiar ?  here is the link you were looking for 

Do you have any memories to share, of them filming in the dressing room etc. Paul Charlton (check out the perm!) obviously didn't moderate his language for the camera!!

5 hours ago, Willforminis said:

Was that Harry Beverley propping for Town?

Yep Big H had come over from Dewsbury. I remember the night we signed it. Crown Flatts and Korky had to kick a goal from the touch line on the halfway for a draw. Right down the middle, winning pay as 16th man, first time with the first team, then we get told on the bus going home Harry had signed there and then. 

5 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Do you have any memories to share, of them filming in the dressing room etc. Paul Charlton (check out the perm!) obviously didn't moderate his language for the camera!!

Ye never so many directors in the changing room ?Boxer being sick was a pre game ritual but to be honest I can't even remember it all being filmed till it popped up on YouTube forty years later. Town never got much TV coverage and videos were still in the future so any films are great to see. Believe it or not I'm seeing more photos for the first time posted on Facebook during this lockdown than I have ever seen. Just posted three of the four Lancashire cup vudeos this afternoon. 

46 minutes ago, yanto said:

Ye never so many directors in the changing room ?Boxer being sick was a pre game ritual but to be honest I can't even remember it all being filmed till it popped up on YouTube forty years later. Town never got much TV coverage and videos were still in the future so any films are great to see. Believe it or not I'm seeing more photos for the first time posted on Facebook during this lockdown than I have ever seen. Just posted three of the four Lancashire cup vudeos this afternoon. 

Back in the Eighties, they used to say Whitehaven had more directors than players. ?

Must admit, I can't identify you, but I do see plenty of Town stalwarts - David Beck, Ian Hartley, Bill Pattinson. Think Town awarded testimonial years to Beck and Pattinson.

On 02/04/2020 at 19:52, Hopping Mad said:

Back in the Eighties, they used to say Whitehaven had more directors than players. ?

Must admit, I can't identify you, but I do see plenty of Town stalwarts - David Beck, Ian Hartley, Bill Pattinson. Think Town awarded testimonial years to Beck and Pattinson.

Just looked back Ian Rudd was the other center that day ..we would both only be 19,20 at the most.Ray Wilkins 6, Alan Banks 9.John Dobie, 13,Korky 2,Billy Patt 12,Ian Hartley 11,Big Harry 8,Boxer 7, David Beck 5. Charlo 1,Alan Rowley on his debut at 10.

Includes footage of Ian Schubert in his "Farrah Fawcett Hair" days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Includes footage of Ian Schubert in his "Farrah Fawcett Hair" days.

Great player Ian Schubert. Hard to believe he was a winger but he was one hell of a Loose Forward and Natural leader when he played for Leigh in 87 

Archived