Classic RL on YouTube

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Thanks. I’ve seen some Mitchell & Kenyon clips of early Northern Union. They give a good insight into the playing style but they aren’t anything like a full game.

Would love to see full games of the 1950s French side and GB matches featuring some of the post-war greats of the 50s and 60s.

Even if they were filmed in full, they'd probably have been snipped up for an edited report, then the tapes re-used for other purposes. The BBC did a lot of that, and home archivists suddenly stopped being demonised, when archives started being a valuable commodity.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Even if they were filmed in full, they'd probably have been snipped up for an edited report, then the tapes re-used for other purposes. The BBC did a lot of that, and home archivists suddenly stopped being demonised, when archives started being a valuable commodity.

Thanks. Good to see the great ‘Pure Bear’ in his 1951 pomp. Slightly surprising to see how often the ball was run into touch with unlimited tackles but talk about off the cuff, heads up rugby!

On 11/04/2020 at 22:48, Futtocks said:

Poor old Wasps...

It would be interesting to repeat in todays climate, i believe both codes have changed somewhat, with RU becoming a more skilful game while RL tends to focus on power and structures.

It used to be that league players' better all round skills won out, I'm not so sure if that would still be the case?

1 hour ago, meast said:

It would be interesting to repeat in todays climate, i believe both codes have changed somewhat, with RU becoming a more skilful game while RL tends to focus on power and structures.

It used to be that league players' better all round skills won out, I'm not so sure if that would still be the case?

That may have been the thinking behind inviting Bradford back then. RU had been openly professional for a few years, and there had been much talk about catching up with RL in the areas where the latter code was strong.

Nobody ever seemed to accepts that RL wasn't standing still and waiting to be caught, so an exhausted, sleepless and battered Bradford turned up and won the tournament with far more ease than Wigan did before.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's a time capsule for you.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/03/2020 at 19:46, hrtbps said:

With plenty of free time ahead of us, let's start a thread of some of the best hidden RL gems on YouTube.

I'll start with a few of my favourites

Featherstone 12-6 Castleford, from an 89-90 episode of Scrumdown...

@hrtbps Now why did you have to go & post summat like eh? That was horrible.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

--------------------------

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

Watching some of the SoO games on Youtube just reminds me of how good these series and the battles have been.  Absolutely marvelous games to watch, with a little leniency by the Refs!

These type of games are what we need.  However we can get them, I dont know.  Yorks v Lancs seems obvious, but obviously not.

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Watching some of the SoO games on Youtube just reminds me of how good these series and the battles have been.  Absolutely marvelous games to watch, with a little leniency by the Refs!

These type of games are what we need.  However we can get them, I dont know.  Yorks v Lancs seems obvious, but obviously not.

Yorkshire v Lancashire just fizzled out in the later years. I watched the last one, and it was clear the concept wasn't working for anyone. A depressing match to watch.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yorkshire v Lancashire just fizzled out in the later years. I watched the last one, and it was clear the concept wasn't working for anyone. A depressing match to watch.

I remember the same thing.  It was depressing.  Shouldn’t be though.

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I remember the same thing.  It was depressing.  Shouldn’t be though.

I think for me the thing that killed it was that David Waite treated them like trial matches, by overseeing the whole thing and picking the coaching teams for each county. This took away a big element of competition and antagonism. But then he really undermined it all by just sticking with the same players for GB regardless of how they played in the county games! Yorkshire absolutely thrashed Lancashire one year, and yet when it came to the GB selection at the end of the year, the same old Lancashire faces were in the squad!

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Rebranding it 'Origin' was beyond stupid for me. It made it look like a pale imitation of State of Origin (which is ultimately what it turned out to be). I just don't understand why anyone would want to invite the comparison, especially when Wars of the Roses is a much better sounding name IMO, and had a much longer history than SoO.

3 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think for me the thing that killed it was that David Waite treated them like trial matches, by overseeing the whole thing and picking the coaching teams for each county. This took away a big element of competition and antagonism. But then he really undermined it all by just sticking with the same players for GB regardless of how they played in the county games! Yorkshire absolutely thrashed Lancashire one year, and yet when it came to the GB selection at the end of the year, the same old Lancashire faces were in the squad!

Lancashire ****ards.

Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Rebranding it 'Origin' was beyond stupid for me. It made it look like a pale imitation of State of Origin (which is ultimately what it turned out to be). I just don't understand why anyone would want to invite the comparison, especially when Wars of the Roses is a much better sounding name IMO, and had a much longer history than SoO.

Just a great concept imo.  The players give everything.  

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Just a great concept imo.  The players give everything.  

I know it's not a popular thing to say, but I think they could still make it a success now. It's all in the branding and the promotion. The actual Wars of the Roses didn't just involve people from Yorks and Lancs, so there's no reason why ours would have to. The Battle of Bosworth saw an army change sides as I understand! We could even make a virtue of hyping up who the 'mercenaries' might sign for!

However, I think ultimately that ship has sailed, and I would prefer home nations internationals over Wars of the Roses now. But that's for another thread! Let's leave this one for classic YouTube stuff!

Archived