Classic RL on YouTube

Every ground rang with shouts of " Feeding"  etc. ,at nearly every scrum back in the day . Always thought contested scrums could have been made much better if the players were made to bind properly to stop the hookers twisting sideways and sometimes nearly lying down with both feet blocking the tunnel , and that both scrum halves should have retired to behind the scrum with their hands on the loose forward , while the ref fed the scrum .End of the feeding fiasco and any offence easier to spot .

• 3 months later...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has this been posted yet? Yes, it is another gem from the channel owned by the mysterious and prolific "shaun".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 19/05/2020 at 13:34, ivans82 said:

Every ground rang with shouts of " Feeding"  etc. ,at nearly every scrum back in the day . Always thought contested scrums could have been made much better if the players were made to bind properly to stop the hookers twisting sideways and sometimes nearly lying down with both feet blocking the tunnel , and that both scrum halves should have retired to behind the scrum with their hands on the loose forward , while the ref fed the scrum .End of the feeding fiasco and any offence easier to spot .

Surely the non offending side deserve an advantage?  To me the failure to ensure that the ball emerged behind the second row was what spoiled the scrum.  I'd like to see properly organised competitive scrums, but I can't see it ever happening.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

14 hours ago, Trojan said:

Surely the non offending side deserve an advantage?  To me the failure to ensure that the ball emerged behind the second row was what spoiled the scrum.  I'd like to see properly organised competitive scrums, but I can't see it ever happening.

Even with the ref feeding the scrum the non-offending side would still have the head at the scrum , so still have the advantage .

• 3 months later...

Well, how encouraging it is to see that my last post was so uplifting, it triggered a load of the usual pessimistic grumblings about how everything's rubbish these days

There was a very real danger someone might have enjoyed it. Bullet dodged..

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Two of those sports are in jeopardy (Rounders/baseball and cricket), while Wimbledon has wisely introduced a fifth set tie breaker (if scores get to 12-12) in 2019 to avoid another marathon. Snooker has introduced a shot clock, though not yet to events like the World championship (think it’s inevitable though).

In a much faster paced society, a now culture, slower paced games are screwed. The sole five day marathon in cricket that I think will manage to survive (for the foreseeable anyway) is the Ashes. It’s almost exempt from the rest of the sport with its own unique status. It’s possibly a major reason that the five day game is still popular in the two competing nations as opposed to the other test nations.

Test Cricket will survive for a fair while yet, if only out of sheer perversity and the weight of history. Plus our desire to see Australians lose The Big One and their equal and opposite pleasure.

Let's remember the famous Half Man half Biscuit couplet: "And what I call pleasure you may call pain/I'm talking five-day tests."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

The 1988 World Cup Final was historic for two reasons: it was New Zealand's first Final and it was refereed by a Papuan ref, Graham Ainui.

The commentators seem to be switching randomly between pronunciations for the Iro brothers. "Ee-ro" and "Aye-ro" alternately.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived